1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breakfast

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AnjaliSajith, Jul 28, 2015.

1. AnjaliSajith

AnjaliSajith Senior IL'ite

Its 6:30 am and time to head towards kitchen .I being the youngest daughter in law enjoy a half an hour sleep more than elders. " One needs to pray before reaching the knife or else we end cutting our finger " my mother in law said thus i prayed and reached kitchen . My co-sister is preparing tea and my mother in law is cutting a jack fruit
    I have recently started developing a hatred towards this fruit . I have heard its good to have seasonal fruits and i have been strictly following this rule before marriage but here in my new home i have understood that excess of anything is bad , very bad . We here have been doing everything possible with this fruit . Eating the ripe ones , cooking the unripe and frying them as a snack . Well let's come to the point. Today's breakfast was a havoc .
    The jack fruit was almost ripe and obviously not fit to be cooked as a side dish . I tasted it as soon as the cooking finished . It was sweet and absolutely not fit to be a combination with rice . I knew my breakfast was not going to be good . I grew so irritated , grumpy as if it were mood swings during PMS .
    Why does breakfast mean so much to me that i start remembering my mum's cooking . No, its not only the extra ordinary taste of the food she makes but also the missing of at least being able to say that i don't like this one , can i cook something else ? Here at my new home i cant say that because extra things cost a lot . At least that's what my mother in law says . I should be ready to listen to the cost of oil , shallots and the list goes on. She is definitely not a Hitler . She is just another woman who has gone to bed hungry so that her kids could have their full . She just doesn't want to spend an extra penny over anything and she expects the same from us but somewhere she forgets that today the condition is quiet different . Her son's and respectable professions and here daughter in laws come from a very well to do families where they never ever had a food issue .
    Its her habit and i am not going to frown . She is a mother full of love yes a bit of misery is there too . She is the one who has raised my husband and he is the best thing that has happened to me .
    So , why am i writing this ? Well it is my way of relieving stress so that by 11' am i could happily reach kitchen for the afternoon affairs .

14 people like this.

2. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

op i tell ya trick.when ever you make bit a extra eg rice or roti.Then next day make something from it like mix vegetable rice.do it under the pretext your saving food from getting waste.

1 person likes this.
  3. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Dear OP

You have expressed your frustration differently. Appreciate your way of taking things positively and this write up.:cool2:

2 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Anjali dear welcome to IL and also to Snippets. I read your other post saying that you come from Nuclear family but now married to a joint family and you are enjoying being in a joint family. This post shows how much you respect your mother in law and adhere toher request though it is difficult for you. I also appreciate your positive attitude. Good way of sharing it here and taking out your frustration

2 people like this.
  5. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

such a nice read Anjali!

1 person likes this.
  6. AnjaliSajith

wow thats really a great idea

7. AnjaliSajith

Thanx dear , this is such an awesome place to write up my views and thanks for showing the patience of reading this long episode.

8. AnjaliSajith

Thank u , there r lots of replies to my post and this is indeed a grand welcome , i am feeling at home at IL . Its like talking to our own frnds and relatives

9. AnjaliSajith

Thanx dear for reading it .

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Anjali dear I have nominated your post in finest post forum

2 people like this.