1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The most serious loss caused to me, by Facebook !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by NellaiMurugan, Jul 26, 2015.

1. NellaiMurugan

NellaiMurugan Silver IL'ite

Fifteen years back, when I was in college, I used to convey Birthday wishes to my close friends and relatives. I had a small diary, in which I had jotted down the Birthday's to remember, month-wise. Every month, there would be two or three people to be wished. I used to visit, 'Archies-gallary' , buy a Birthday Card, send it in advance to the person I am wishing. I promptly was getting either a 'Thank you' card or a small letter acknowledging my greetings, delivered to the house by post man.

Ten years back, emails came into existence. The habit said in above paragraph died. Automatic remembering facility came into vogue, like Hotmail Calenders and Yahoo Calenders. Then, I used to send e-greetings to the close friends and relatives from sites like 123greetings.com. I was promptly getting a reply card , that too from 123greetings.com. The joy of going to Archies gallary , selecting a card, sending it by envelope and postal department, followed by the receipt of 'thanks' card was immense. This second way of e-greetings was some solace, though it can not be as exciting as sending real paper greetings by post.

Five years back, Facebook became very popular. The habit said in the second paragraph died. When it is my birthday, around 160 people jump into my facebook page and wish me 'Birthday Greetings'. Many of them are my college mates and distant relatives, who have never spoken even a single word to me in my real life. But they wish, birthday greetings without fail, just because, they are prompted to do so, by Facebook !

How insensitive it is to wish some one birthday greetings, with whom, you have never spoken a single word ever in life ! :rant I hardly recognize 90 % of those who wish me !

Alas ! An exciting good old habit of conveying Birthday Wishes has been killed by Facebook.

Probably, the most serious and significant loss caused to me, by facebook. :drowning

13 people like this.

2. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

So true! I actually still remember birthdays of my old friends without facebook prompts but they will never know that!
    And for all the 100 happy birthdays wished on the facebook wall, we get one common "thank you guys" message.

3 people like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Nellimurugan,
    So true.
    There used to be a human touch in greeting. Going to the shop, selecting a suitable card and then posting and receiving rely from them. Now they also know it is the click of a mouse!
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear NellaiMurugan!

What a valid point! Reading your title, I thought here comes another person unhappy with Facebook, let's check it out!!

For, whatever its negatives may be, FB has helped me to keep track of friends, relatives and certain news happenings without much sweat. Having said that, I shall also add that I am quite a laid back type of person and it suits me just fine to fit in another small exchange of words on FB with someone I might never manage to do so other wise.

But at times, these promptings from Facebook are irritating and this matter of Birthdays you mention is truly something to moan about!

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  5. chaithup

chaithup Bronze IL'ite

if I am right, only your friends can write on ur timeline. If you are that unhappy with those unwanted wishes; then why did u accept their friends requests..:)
    On top of it, your personalized settings on Facebook will give u the liberty to confine your DOB details to yourself....:)

Facebook is definitely good thing happened to netizens. It is just upto us as to how best we use that...:)

2 people like this.
  6. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

I still love looking for funny greeting cards. This one I can never forget - where the first page says 'On your Birthday, and the next page has a person praying 'I pray God not to repeat the mistake' :) and I gave this to my friend.

It brings smile every time I remember it. Simple joys!!

3 people like this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neilla,

Well said. Face book cannot keep asecret can it ? Yes , like u, i too dont like my birthday to be told to people whom i have befriended but whom i dont know in real life.
    But FB has its advantages, we come to know which of our friend and relatives are doing what, holdidaying where and all that.its fun in a way.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Nellaimurugan,

Facebook has changed life of many forever. We have lost the physical interaction with the neighbors and friends and became addicted to interacting with them in the social media. When we do it in a social media, we tend to make more mistakes in personal interaction with the friends. When we are face to face with a person, we think twice before we say something. Moreover, we are making friends who we never knew before. Liking a post has become meaningless and doesn't express one's view clearly.

Communication and interaction with people face to face has its own unique advantages. Shaking a friend's hand and wishing him happy birthday is much different than wishing him in a social media. Even sending an email or a greeting card is very different than wishing him through social media.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. NellaiMurugan

NellaiMurugan Silver IL'ite

True. But, in those days, I did not know anything about Privacy Settings. I just went on accepting, whoever gives a friendship request. Most of them were college mates, friends of friends, so I thought it is no harm in keeping them in my friends list.

But, now, yes, I read and understood Privacy Settings, do not accept any more friendship requests, unless it is from a well known person.

But, to this day, because of my past ignorance, I have 380 friends !

1 person likes this.
  10. chaithup

chaithup Bronze IL'ite

You can very well unfriend your existing friends. That helps you getting relieved from unwanted notifications causing just on your Facebook page as well as your associated email-id with it.