1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cad

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

(This post does not represent traditional values promoted by Vedantha nor does it represent the Western values. This is entirely an individual thought of the author developed as part of the iterative learning exercise of the author and he welcomes both supporting and opposing views with open mind)

Control, alter and delete (“CAD”) function of mind has been discussed traditionally in almost every ancient scripture from Asia and the power of mind has been discussed almost in every Western literature. When east is taking a holistic approach in discussing the mind, the Western literature is paying attention to details. The question I intend to discuss in this post is whether it is more important to control the vagaries of the mind that appears to increase the pain and aggravation or enhance the power of the mind that has the ability to realize its full potential. Mind is an adroit substance capable of taking control and execute its vision of happiness or alternatively control the senses and play a disciplined role to align the microcosm with the macrocosm.

Mind is a borderless territory. Sometimes, it comes up with great ideas and register its presence. On other occasions, it also processes those ideas through its limitless so called discrimination. The true value of an idea is realized only when these great ideas are stored and effectively used in a controlled setting. A right thinking mind is one that focuses its attention on setting up a path for strategic personal growth, creation and management of character. A creative mind is one that looks around and grabs strategic opportunities to learn lessons from the outside world and apply it in personal life on real time. A mind that is right thinking and creative will continue to do both.

In the free world, the word “control” has a bad connotation and in the traditional eastern culture anything that is not done in moderation is considered a taboo. It is an open secret that most are considerably influenced by both these cultures in the present day world. Apparently, each culture is looking at two ends of the same rainbow one calling it as Violet and the other claiming it as Red. The real solution is in seeing the whole rainbow and enjoy the magic of seven colors unfold with splendor even though the origin of it is colorless.

Mind is an enigma and labyrinthine and neither the spiritual world nor the scientific world is able to get to the bottom of it. How it raises itself to reach the summit above and beyond the human comprehension and drops itself to the level below the animals mind is immeasurable. But it is easier to understand that it is nothing but cauldron of thoughts and by altering them systematically, the mind can change from a reprehensible state to above and beyond a placid state.

In my view, life is all about narrowing the gap and avoid these kind of wild fluctuations. Controlling the mind requires stabilizing it, altering the mind requires changing the thoughts and deleting the mind involves getting focused on one thought that can take the mind to be on a permanent blissful state. Emotions and feelings that are arising out of the mind should be converted into something that would strengthen the mind. Desires also arise from the mind and it should be altered for the personal growth, creation and development of good character. The experiences in the world sometimes elevates the ego and other times humbles it. It is important to achieve equanimity so that the experiences would only enhance our character instead of impacting the mind. If the free flowing river of life needs to reach the ocean of love, the mind should never get attached to either pleasure or pain. Tranquility is achieved only when the mind excels to shine with added luster within the barometers of control.

There is a world above the mind called constant integrated awareness. That summit can be reached only when it breaches the level of emotions, feelings, desires and attachments. Tying it up with so many knots to remain within the world of illusions is the barrier to enter the world of constant integrated awareness.

9 people like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Viswa dear I also wrote about the mind yesterday, but could not put as you have narrated thats why there is not much responses. Otherwise also feedbacks for my posts takes long time because my posts are not thought provoking like you and other writers. I know you will not agree but I am telling the fact. If I tell people they will tell that there is no time for some people thats why they are not able to give feedback to my post. When they have time for others why not for me. I know people wont likeme talking frankly like this , but as you are my brother I wanted to letout my feelings. The thing is if I keep anything in myheart I feel very depressed so I like to let it out then I feel my heart light.

Quote Acreative mind is one that looks around and grabs strategic opportunities to learn lessons from the outside world and apply it in]personal life on real time. A mind that is right thinking and creative will continue to do both. Unquote

You have a creative mind and you wait for opportunities to learn lessons and share it with us your views. Your thinking is also right always.

Sometimes I am not able to control my mind. I become emotional and not able to control and that comes out as my feelings. Manytimes I dont let out my mind and control it as sometimes I may be wrong. But I feel its always better to let out your feelings than keeping in your mind or heart. Its always better to be frank.

I feel in this present world some people follow their culture promptly but some get attracted towards western culture . If the elders teach the youngsters about culture and which is good and which is bad they have their own views and follow according to their will. Olden days people believe in spending economically and dont go for hifi things.

The last two paras are superb and you can narrate so well about these things. Thanks for the thought provoking psot as always and sorry if I have written anything wrong

2 people like this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

What is mind? Is it a part of the brain? Has it got physical characteristics as the brain? It has no physical dimensions, yet there appears to be some connection with the brain and mind. When the brain is not functioning during anesthesia or under coma, the mind also does not seem to function. Mind is not a gross matter visible and tangible. It does not require a space to exist. The magnitude of mind cannot be measured.

The mind is nothing- but a bundle of desires, thoughts, wants and expectations. As long as a person is alive he will have the thoughts, desires,wants,and expectations. If the desires and expectations do not fructify then it leads to stress, frustration and even depression.
    Only by controlling the mind we can enjoy stress free life.

As it is impossible to control mind we can at lest try to regulate it. We can compare our mind to the computer CPU. Whatever we feed in, the CPU processes it and gives the output. In the same way the mind also acts. Our five sensory organs work like the inputs in a CPU like keyboard, mouse, cd drive, pen drive,floppy drive etc.

If we have positive thoughts,positive actions, positive speech and positive approach we will get good result. First we have to regulate our mind and then slowly we can enhance our mind power.

Hence I feel both mind control and enhancing mind power is important to reach our ultimate goal of self realization.

PS

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

Synchronizing thoughts, words and deeds is considered an important trait for a healthy living and for developing an excellent character. But unfortunately, we live with human beings with emotions and feelings and many times, we are forced to package our honest responses in a pretty gift box. Like us, they also find it hard to control emotions and associated feelings. In an interdependent world, the respect for the individuals and their emotions and feelings become important.

I honestly believe it is not the number of posts nor the number of responses we get that determines the quality of the posts. If you carefully review, the post "Nuclear getting nuclear" written by Vijubala has only 17 responses even today but that was selected as the finest post for the month of June 2015. In fact, when I wrote my response to this post, it had 150 views with no responses. I am giving all these statistics only to let you know that responses don't determine the quality of the posts even though the writers prefer to get as many responses as it encourages them to write more.

The members are not obligated to write any response to any of our posts. It is a privilege and honor to have ILites response to our posts. Most of them work and have so many responsibilities as young mothers, wives, daughters in law, etc. They shower their love for you as a mother reciprocating your love for them. You enjoy a very special status in IL that most may not be able to get even if they aspire. It is earned hard by your love and affection.

Thank you for your wonderful response. It is hard for everyone to control the mind. Emotions one has for self should be converted into compassion for others. Instead of thinking that ILites are not responding only to my posts when they do it for others, we can think that they have only so much time to be in IL and they have allocated that to many posts. When we begin appreciating their time, every response ILites make to our posts will be considered as a great honor.

Every culture has positives and negatives. But leading a life with austerity is a good trait and focusing our attention for the general well being of all also is a good trait.

I know that there are so many great writers in IL and I am not one among them. I am not saying this out of humility but because I know that is the fact.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

First of all, thank you for your response. I had difficulty in reading your response and for some reasons, your wonderful response is buried under the unwanted texts.

The mind is lot more than the brain. It is a life cycle of all activities including thoughts, words and actions. When the senses reaches out to the objects, mind is involved. When we are engrossed in thoughts, mind is involved. When we speak, mind is involved in coordination of words and body language. When we perform actions, the mind is involved in the performance of the body parts. Even when we are asleep, mind is working in the form of rapid movement of eyes, dreaming state and deep sleep state, etc. Now the scientists are stating that every cell has its own mind. As you rightly said, mind is not a gross matter and it is spread everywhere.

It is a cauldron of thoughts primarily which later converts into desires and attachments. When the senses control the mind, the mind runs towards worldly desires and when the mind control the senses, it helps to use the senses to develop a good character. The very same mind that can let us dwell in worldly desires and Bhavaroga and has the potential to cure our Maya and take us towards salvation. The power of mind is unlimited but it need to be regulated so that it doesn't go haywire. As you rightly pointed out if the inputs are clean, the outputs are also clean.

I believe mind can become sublime only when it is focused on what would lead to a permanent bliss. A combination of control as well as enhancement of power are required if we need to reach the summit of over the mind which I called in my post as Constant Integrated Awareness.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

Viswa dear thanks for the awesome response to my feedback. Congratulations your post is nominated by Jayakka

7. iyerviji

Viswa dear thanks for the awesome response to my feedback. Congratulations your post is nominated by Jayakka. Iknow themembers are not obligated to write response to every post and it depends on their time also. I know many must be busy and are not able to spend time here . But what to do sometimes the mind and heart does not listen to me and I feel emotional. I know I shoudl control my mind. Its really surprising how I am not able to control my mind even after reaching this age:)

1 person likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

That made an interesting read. I am one of those people who has never understood the word control in its truest sense. That said and may be a coincidence but I am fascinated listening to a segment on radio about memory (just yesterday), in particular about how long term memories are stored in our brains and of course my mind has been working overdrive trying to analyse, understand and some what apply it to our Indian context of thinking too. It is fascinating and I am not in a position to articulate the very small sense of understanding I seem to have. Here is the link for you What Your Genes Can Tell You About Your Memory : NPR. How amazing is our system if alterations at that minute level are happening in our system for memory - do you see how the physical seed is sown :) But this also gives me hope that by changing the memory, we change ourselves too. I feel happy understanding that. I know I have heard it many a time but understanding is another level and experience will eventually lead to that change!

Perhaps that is why I constantly go back to "Chittha vritti nirodah". I do believe all that matters is how we react, perhaps that is control for you. We cannot control that monkey mind but we can only prevent the vrittis of the mind, in spite of the mind going on doing its job and despite allowing the mind to do it's job - we have to tap into our higher selves constantly. I am not sure but the way I see is watching oneself constantly and watching our reaction and then deliberating may help us change our reaction to the memory when it pops up - for me this makes sense because I see controlling as suppressing. But you might mean the same - by controlling our reaction we are changing the outcome. But controlling with understanding seems to make better sense to me, personally. This might teach us or prepare us better (when that memory pops up in the future) as well. It is somewhat easier to do that in an unpleasant situation for we have other indicators like faster heart rate, anger etc to guide us. That alone can define our present thus negating our past and creating a future leading us towards the being of a stithaprajna.

While CAD can be applied in many a situation considering how many thoughts go through - observe, acknowledge and delete seems the way I am taking right now at least in a few instances that will absolutely make a difference to me.

2 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    What an educative and thoughtful article!Simply superb in all respects
    -contents and expression.The article deserves more than the'finest post of the month.Actually I felt that I was talking through you.As soon as I nominated your post, the power supply in our house was cut off. From yesterday there was problem.The inverter went out of charge.We switched over to panai olai visiri and spent the entire hot afternoon in the veranda.Only at 7p. M. the supply was restored.
    This also became a motivation for me. Our thought process also gets off on many occasions.

When we look back our past and start evaluating we understand that most of our failures would have been avoided or made less intensive had we taken proper perspective of things and done some rational thinking and followed a different approach.
    This has been clearly brought out in all scriptures and thro many events in Mahabharata and Ramayana and Hanuman's tactics.
    Today being the computer yuga, the same old lesson is taught through a popular concept .

The term: Control, alt & delete is very popular in the world of computing. Pressing these three keys brings our pc back to its original setting. Our thoughts and ideas are stored in memory chips and data ‘clouds’.

Metaphorically speaking, the same principle applies when we need to refresh and revitalize our intellectual and emotional systems.

Very often people suffer from low motivation,confusion about goals, and unfocussed energy and fear about uncertainty.

I have gone through such emotional stresses in my life on a few occasions.We have got different shades of difficulties. A few come out strong, intellectually and emotionally, however some get stuck in such situation and keep running in circles. ‘Flight’ or ‘fight’ is a common instinctual response we make to challenges.

Books and counselling sessions can give only temporary relief.To sustain confidence and passion, CTRL, ALT ,DEL comes as a divine hand.Interestingly, lessons from how computers work, solves this puzzle for mankind.

The literal meaning of reboot is “to restart a computer or an operating system, or be restarted”. Our mind isthe most sophisticated operating system.

CONTROL
    ---------
    The CONTROL process consists of self assessment, self feed back or feed back from a few sincere friends ,a broad vision and action plan.When we realise our weaknesses of fear of failure, procrastination etc we fall in proper line and start a positive planning, automatically CONTROL starts.

Self reflection is just like a scan of our mind done with utmost objectivity.It can be
    unpleasant but will definitely give a real blue print.
    Visualization is the power of programming our subconscious mind with proper goals. Experts of mind sciences say with affirmed assurance that mind is capable of working backwards from end to means.Once the desired goal is programmed in the computer of our'mind', the subconscious mind looks after all other things.

ALT
    ----
    It is utter foolishness to do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results.

At times we get stuck up
    , keep running in circles, trying hard to come out of trouble, only to sink deeper and deeper in it. Most of us are risks averse therefore feel scared to venture out into to unknown waters. Perhaps, we humans are more comfortable trying the time tested strategies and action and fear stepping out of our comfort zone to embark on an alternate route.
    Alt may not guarantee success,but can guarantee learning.
    It is the greatest grooming tool. Also, it opens our mind to new opportunities and possibilities.

Delete-
    -------
    We get so used to managing the unnecessary load that we forget to get rid of it.When it comes to our wardrobe or afile cabinet at our office, we ensure that every now and then we rearrange it, keep the valuables and discard the useless stuff, be it personal items or papers in a file.

Unfortunately, we don’t apply the same rule to our thoughts and experiences. We keep cluttering our head with whatever comes our way and at times there is so much mess that no space is left for more.Frequent garbage disposal is essential. Rubbish pollutes the environment and occupies unnecessary space. Likewise, disempowering beliefs we gather from negative experiences, choke our creativity and positivity. We need to get rid of these.
    Nature has created the mind with an in built mechanism of 'forgetting' so that unwanted memories are winnowed out. This is an unconscious effort. But when we have some great vision,this superficial cleaning won't help and mass overhauling is needed.

Why can't we Put your fingers on control, alt, delete keys, press on them, get rebooted and move ahead.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice write-up Viswa Sir and it's more interesting to read the replies to the original posts. I wrote a big reply and lost all of it. Wish I could practice ctrl+alt+del as you have said.

regarding feedbacks too you had put it very neatly and clearly.

2 people like this.