1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Smart (ph)one

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

“Honey, I am unable to read anything in my iPhone 5. Moreover, most apps that I would like to download are all available in Android and iOS doesn’t allow them”.

“I will definitely look into it within a few minutes”.

I carefully examined the phone and barely read anything on the screen. Nowadays, smartphones are designed with no ability to take the battery off purposefully so that when the battery dies, people will change the phone. I tried downloading the app she wanted in iPhone but didn’t succeed.

“I will get a new phone for you”

“All I need is a phone that can download the apps I want and can make phone calls.”

“Will you come with me to choose an Android smart phone for you? I bought Samsung Note 4 a few months back and it had an electronic pen that I could use to write notes directly into my phone. It is possible to take the battery out and replace it with new, if we need to.”

“No, you know this better than I do. I have already told you what I want.”

Isn’t it true that the eyes and mouth of the women are the greatest weapons? They could win thousand wars without touching a single weapon. She conveyed more through her simple answer and a stare. I better get her the latest and greatest phone.

I motored myself to the nearest Verizon shop and met the salesman who greeted me with a big grin. “My name is R, how can I help you?’ I could see in his smile that he found his next victim. “Can you suggest an Android smartphone for my wife?” I asked. He replied, “Please review the display of phones from LG and Samsung around and let me know what you like the best.” I pleaded ignorance and asked him to suggest one. He rushed towards the display section with a satisfaction that he got someone he can provide advice as to how to choose a smartphone. His look conveyed me, “How can you choose a smartphone when you have no touch of smartness in you?”

“This is Samsung Galaxy S6 edge with dimension 142.1 x 70.1 x 7 mm (5.59 x 2.76 x 0.28 in), weight 132 g (4.66 oz), size 5.1 inches (71.7% screen-to-body ratio), Resolution 1440 x 2560 pixels (~577 ppi pixel density), Camera 16 MP, 2988 x 5312 pixels, optical image stabilization, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, Auto HDR, panorama, video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, HDR, dual-video rec, etc.”

He had a victory lap after ascertaining that he won the battle knowing that he lost me completely. “I am not going to give up that easily in the next round” I said to myself. I asked him, “Can I take out the battery if I have to replace with a new one?” (keeping in mind the issue faced in iPhone 5) and “Have you got the latest smartphone yourself?” (Aria’s technique of “sign-take-fake study”). Aria doesn’t understand what impact her posts have on ILites day to day life.

“No Sir. Now most manufacturers have decided to dispense with removable batteries. That is why we offer Edge Plan that you can pay for your phone in 24 months and get a new one after that period.” He showed his personal phone which obviously was 4 versions behind the latest. I remembered Sabitha mentioning about Bach’s “"We preach best what we need to learn the most" in her response to Aria.

The salesman wanted to have the final say on the matter. He said, “This is the latest and greatest phone on offer right now, Sir. It will meet all the specification needs of your wife and much more. This is the best value for $25 dollars you were going to pay each month for the next 24 months”. That did it for me.

I nodded my head in agreement and told him to get one. He started working to finish the sale with a great sense of fulfillment. “Sir, you definitely need a glass protection for this type of smart phone. Besides, if your wife is going to keep this phone in her handbag, you need to buy a decent cover that protects the phone from dust. We also collect the sales tax up front for the entire value and therefore, we are looking at $125.20. How do you like to pay sir?”

I sheepishly handed over my credit card to him. He put the phone in a nice paper bag, handed it over with a broad smile and opened the door for me. “Have a nice day, Sir”. “Thank you and I wish you very best with your next customer, Rasheed” I said.

7 people like this.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Sir,

The salesperson at the phone stores always want to up-sell. Just buy phones from costco. The screen protector, case, car charger everything is included and there is no sell pressure and you have a choice of At&T, Verizon and T-mobile and array of phones to choose from.

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

@Akanksha1982,

Thank you for your first response and the tip about where to buy the phone more economically. I didn't have any pressure in buying a specific model or to buy from a specific store. Please don't take my post seriously. There is a lot of fiction in this true incident. That is a miserable attempt by a serious man to bring out a humorous post. Apparently, I got D- grade.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

@tanmayitanu,

They have to be smarter to sell them as the consumers are getting increasingly smarter. I am one of those who is not tech-savvy. Nowadays, cars are also becoming a motorized computer with so many gadgets in them.

Viswa

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    To prevent all the hasstles and not to be a trap in the salesman technical talk( they are trained for that) your wife has asked you to go and buy it!
    Syamala

6. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala,

I was trying to say that in an indirect way and you spilled the beans. Thanks for catching the hidden message in the post and I feel a great sense of fulfillment that I succeeded in my writing. You have named the one who is smarter.

Needless to say, the ILites are the best.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

haha vishwa, these guys are so smart eh ! 25 dollors to 125 dollor,. wow !

i have the samsung Duo and it is i think 2 yrs old and working fine, no need to change. i am just putting the 32 memory, and will transfer files to the chip, and make my phone unclogged.

i dont know much about these phones, so cant say much really, this one meets my purposes, and that is fine with me, even if the model is old now.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

One needs to be prepared for these sales guys.
    My husband researches everything before he enters the store and then gives the poor sales guys third degree interrogation.He will not buy anything till he has interrogated 3-4 of these guys . I feel so bad for them and usually go looking for something in the other corner of the store.

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

@BeatClub,

You are right. When crowned as an expert in smartphones, I took it like a bait and went to the shop with a bloated ego only to be tamed by the salesman. I do have 5.0 in both phones.

I didn't know that software updates are pretty slow for carrier locked devices compared to unlocked devices. I was under the impression that when new version is available, the phone automatically updates into the new version.

Viswa

10. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

Sometimes, keeping up-to-date on technology is a hindrance as too much is going on in that field. I am glad you are satisfied with your existing phone and sticking to it. Nowadays, most phones are made without ability to take the battery off so that people will change phone often.

The glass protection and cover are always offered by the salesman and it is our option to buy it or not. If we are going to use it for 2-3 years, it is better to buy them with the necessary protection.

Viswa