1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your smart phone's dictionary can spell disaster to you !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by NellaiMurugan, Jun 28, 2015.

1. NellaiMurugan

NellaiMurugan Silver IL'ite

“Murugan ! your arrogance and mischief has crossed the limits of decency ! ” she was shouting on the other end of the phone, to me.

I was shocked. What harm, can I dare to do to her ?! She is a close acquaintance to my my wife’s family. She is 65 years. As she lives in a near by the City, she and her family circle got close to us, after coming to North India.

“Aunty ! Please explain me what wrong did I do to you”, I was deeply thinking what damn thing could I have done to her, while asking her. She cut off the phone angrily. I rang her up again, to talk to her. But, she cut off my phone. Again and again , but no use. Every time, she cut off my phone.

In the evening when I returned home, I could see a red faced wife at home. “Why did you sms Takkar Aunty’s bad nick name directly to her husband ? Why is the need to do this deadly provocation ? We have enough issues in our life , already". Not surprisingly, she has informed my wife also

Clueless and confused, I opened the sent messages of my sms. The last message was to Mr. Takkar. It says, “Mrs. Talkative has forgotten her purse at our home. Don’t search it. It is with us. I will send it across in week end”. She had visited us two days back and left back the purse. I smsed that message to her husband in the good will that the old couple should not be disturbed that they lost it.

To my horror, my sent messages folder clearly shows, her name as “Mrs.Talkative….”. In my wife’s friends’ circle, every body , ridicules Mrs.Takkar as Mrs. Talkative, because when she starts talking, she goes on endlessly for hours. Her bad nick name , “Mrs.Talkative” is known in the entire community here !

I could not understand how could I type and send her own nick name to her husband. Seeing the melee, my son studying eleventh standard, intervened & showed me, how the mobile phone’s inbuilt spell check software, writes, “Mrs.Talkative” , when one types, “Mrs.Takkar” !

After understanding what went wrong, I rang up the old couple again, to explain how ‘Mrs.Talkative’ word came into my sms, due to the spell check software. Both refused to talk to me on phone.

Days went on. Finally I met their adult son, explained him what happened and requested him to make his parents understand , it was not my fault. Their son rang me back, “Bhai sahib, my mom refuses to accept that that word came in due to spell check software. Forget about it. It is too difficult for her to comprehend. I will explain it to her after some time”.

At home, at least I could convince my wife , that it is not my fault, thanks to our son !

11 people like this.

2. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

It's the real truth

1 person likes this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

So true.. I have now developed the habit of rechecking my SMS before I sent...inspite of turning the auto dictionary off...

1 person likes this.
  4. NellaiMurugan

I have also done the same now.

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes so true. Not just smartphones but in Skype and other mail s/w too. Where students use more computers they rely on Auto-correct, auto-dictionary than learning their spellings / vocabulary .... Too many features at finger tips makes one wonder whether these are absolutely necessary. Good write-up.

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

On many occasions this happens.The software in the phone has got some prejudiced versions.Sometimes it irritates us too. I tend to use a completely different word.
    A simple snippet with practical information.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. NellaiMurugan

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nellaimurugan,

I can understand what you had been through after calling Mrs.Takkar as Mrs.Talkitive. The auto correct function in the text can cause havoc. Luckily, I have a policy not to text anyone but to my wife and son and hence I am kind of in a safety mode.

I don't press the send button until I read the whole text even if it is to my wife or son. I have experienced some funny auto corrections made in the past.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

These are over-smart phones which seem to assume they have the right to tell us what to say!

2 people like this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

These smart phone and iPad spell checkers are like protruding mundhiri kottai.
    PS

1 person likes this.