1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Questions, Questions and more Questions!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 23, 2015.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]Had a long chat with an old friend today. I was quite shaken. She said a lot of things that raised more questions in my head than answers.

So here goes. The history: My friend has undergone a lot in life. She has always been a spirited kind and has taken whatever life has dealt - mainly an auto-immune disorder of a serious kind as well as a dysfunctional marriage - in her stride. Yes, there was a time in life when things were so bad, she had tried to end it all, but then rallied round and learned to handle stuff in a more balanced way. Along the way, she has developed a tremendous resilience (or so it appeared) and has also become more spiritual.

Today she was telling me that her endurance is breaking down and she is finding it hard to keep a stiff upper lip much longer. I tried to dole out some tough love. ( I don't want her to slip into a cycle of self-pity and depression). Told her about others who have so much more in their plates but manage to get on in life. Told her about a young person who is suffering from cancer and obviously all the pain and discomfort associated with such a deadly disease (in addition to family issues) - she is handling the crisis so well. No matter what we suffer from, it is nothing compared to such suffering. My friend immediately responded: "Cancer has a reputation of being deadly and yes, it is. Hats off to anyone who is able to fight it with all they have, but that does not mean that other sufferings are not as great - could be physical, mental, emotional, financial. Up until now I have been trying to deal with my problems and told myself it is nothing major. I succeeded quite well, but now I am having trouble taking it in my stride. Does that make my suffering any less than the cancer patient's?"

Ouch! I had put my foot in my mouth. I had wanted to make her feel better. I certainly had no intention of trivializing her problems. Made me think. Surely, she does have a very strong point there. No one kind of suffering could be less or more than another. It ultimately depends on our individual ability to deal with it.

"A cancer patient either gets a reprieve and survives or dies. Story over. I don't know how long I will have to live, how much worse my problems are going to get" she says.

Despite all her problems, my friend has tried to keep going and give meaning to her life. She is gifted when it comes to music and painting. She keeps herself busy with her hobbies and her housework. So it was a bit of a surprise when she told me that these days she has started viewing these activities as worth nothing more than an effort to justify her existence. I did not know what to say to that. Am sure that is not she, but her despair and pain speaking.

Knowing that she has a spiritual bent of mind, I tried to humour her with talk about the purpose of life, lessons to be learned from life etc. She admitted - rather bleakly - that she probably has to learn a lot more about patience and acceptance, but is willing to give up on school and go home, admitting failure. I had to remind her that there is no question of dropping out of the school of life. One has to inevitably come back to finish unlearned lessons in life.

This conversation did set me thinking. If she believes in Advaita - there being no separation between God and Creation - then whom was she justifying her existence to? To herself? Then she was trying to justify her existence to God. Does she really need to do that?

That apart, is all we do on earth just an effort at justifying our existence? Does it matter whether we do anything or not? Are all our actions just that? Actions for the sake of actions? Actions, because 'it is impossible not to do actions' (Bhagavad Gita)? If we are not the doers, are we just puppets / automatons in the hands of ..... what? Karma, fate, destiny?

I look forward to various perspectives on these questions. I am afraid I am not proving to be much of a Krishna to my friend's Arjuna! One thing I know for certain is, her existence (apart from a valuable friendship) serves me by giving me food for thought - the reason for my existence? To try to find answers?[/JUSTIFY]

13 people like this.

2. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Satchi, with all these questions, I've only one question to ask myself ..
    Why don't I ponder, conceptualize or even contemplate these kind of profound questions. Something is seriously wrong with my calcified brain. thinkingsmiley

I "liked" your post because I love stuff that I'll never be able to do but when others do it , it gives a new meaning to interaction.

5 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Aria, so good to see such a quick feedback. I must say, I reciprocate the same way when it comes to your language abilities and neuronal threads!

2 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I wish I have answers to your questions and if I do, I will be in awareness 24/7. I will leave them to the learned people to answer your questions but let me attempt answers limited to my knowledge just to benefit out of your contemplation.

I am neither justifying my existence to myself nor to God. In fact, I believe it is God's grace to give me an opportunity to be born to acquire more knowledge and unlearn my mistakes. I am doing everything to liberate my soul from the cycle of birth and death and by learning to, treat both pleasure and pain with equanimity, relinquish my desires and attachments and feel the oneness. I am born to learn not to be born again.

You must have heard, "Not a blade of grass moves without His will" many times. Does it mean we can be inactive and still things will happen? The body, mind and intellect are the tools that are given to us. Purposefully, the dualism is planted to ensure we function independently and learn to love one and all. We have a free will and a discriminative faculty. When we use the free will, we have to use our discriminative faculty as well. He becomes a witness for all our thoughts, words and actions. We also have a divine consciousness in us that can be consulted to manifest the true form of love in us. The learned people say that if we have the manobhava of that divine self, the instruments subordinate to find the purpose of life. Ending life or enjoying life is our free will but the law of Karma is going to ask us to face the consequences of our action no matter whether we end it now or face a natural termination of life. Even natural termination is to replenish the deteriorating tools and its God's gift.

The purpose is to love and be loved. To take 1000 lives or 1 life to know that is a matter of discretion that is given to us through free will and power to discriminate.

Viswa

6 people like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, first of all your friend is lucky that she has you to confide to. Over a period of time not a single friend sticks around someone who has endured nothing but troubles in life. Yes those troubles makes them resilient and a point comes where they cannot take it anymore. But again as you said this is the school of life and here we are to learn our lesson and so have no other choice but to pick ourselves up and move on. pain is something that cannot be compared. What seems to be less to an outsider could be very tough for the one who is going through. Sometimes I even wonder why does the supreme picks a few to enjoy happiness through them and why he picks few to endure pain. So many unanswered questions and that's why we are here I believe.

3 people like this.
  6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

You asked for it, so here is Arialogy for you..
    I follow only 3 sutras in life that shields me from the abrasive rattle of philosophical questions in my tiny brain.

1) What is the goal?

Do not impinge too much on "goal/end-result/final-product". You need to have a vision of what you want in life but that vision is only to facilitate and pave a channel, a means, to keep you occupied and absorbed in life. The fulfilment and satisfaction on reaching a goal is not released on touchdown but the process, means and the trek at the end of which realization dawns in the form of exaltation, reward or even a plain tick in a checkbox should matter. What are we in few years from now after we sweep all these goals we could be compost to your annoying weeds, grub to hungry earth worms, and re-emerge as geyser of crude oil in your backyard. Whatever is synthesized of our mortal remains, the only thing that should matter today/now is how we are approaching that end. Cntd in next para..

2) Then why should it matter at the end and what will motivate us?

It matters because there is a small biochemical wheelhouse called "conscious" in your brain responsible for the feelings, sensations, awareness and realization that you exist. By divine intervention or electrocuted cocktail of amino acids we're beings endowed with sense of our existence. Our motivation should be this conscription of realization of self and relationship with our ecosystem. If you excise that "seat of consciousness", we're no different to catatonic and amorphous jelly or pulp. How can this awareness motivate us? This faculty should detect that in panned scale of things big bang and the expanding fabric of the universe we're tiny dots but in the magnified layout of things you and your family we are equipped with something that eases our living with our not-so-perfect machinery. We forget pain, we lapse in memories, we are myopic in our tomorrow but stereoscopic today, we cry foul, we're rueful, we're repairable. Our motivation should be imprint of today and the feeling that I just don't exist but I exist this very moment. Our conscious is the motor that stimulates or simulates everything that we interact with. The only fallible task is simulation of a life without it because that modelling is external to the projecting entity. We can never comprehend life without conscious, hence we invent reincarnation, soul that outlives body, divine care-taker and other concepts to simulate a scenario of eternal and non-perishable conscious. What is the purpose of all this? Cntd in next para..

3) I've floating goals, subliminal motivation but what is the purpose?

Why do we seek rational mould in our existence rather than focusing on presence. Are we humans really built to even comprehend the answers? What if our mental wiring is still evolving and we've only stepped out of the 'Caves of Plato' to ask the questions that you are asking ...I don't think 30, 000 years ago humans would had the cranial capacity to articulate these questions. But today we are asking, may be few eons from now we'll have our answers. Does that render all the different forms of life that have evolved before us mere vessels to propagate a mutable gene expression? May be, and that is good enough responsibility and reason for me to carry on with my life. Moreever Satchi if wimpy brains like yours and mine solve all the grand questions in this universe, what will our posterity who survived a nuclear holocaust , collision from an asteroid , solar death flare with webbed fingers and eight-lobed brains do for fun? Let's leave some homework for them lest they get bored with their lives.

7 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Like others have said, I wish I knew the answer but then I am not the questioning kind and neither do I keep goals. But I have heard that it is easier to answer the hows than the whys. The honest truth is your friend has to find her inner peace - you can be a supportive friend standing by her like how you are doing and wait for her to work through whatever she is going through. I am learning that each one goes through this at their own pace and their own way. It is not easy.

Huh you see I have no answer after reading your post twice and after reading all the responses and even after thinking about it Witsend

4 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I am sorry for this interruption and I could not resist my temptation to respond to Aria's stunning disposition of life.

Aria,

Your wonderful words of wisdom took me on a visualization trip. You are amazing and you must be possessed by something more than the usual grey material we all have, to comprehend life to such perfection. Also your diet plans must be helping you think so clearly and can you share that secret with me as well?

It is what we do in the process to experience life that matters more than the goal. There is no blueprint for the goal as such. I could not agree more.

Sense of being is important to bring awareness and bliss. I am not sure where consciousness resides as more modern scientists are saying that it is part of each cell. Coordination of billions of cells in ways unknown to the human mind proves the point of consciousness in each cell. As long as "I" remains with me in feelings and sensations, I dwell in forgetful state that leads to contraction and when I make measures to identify myself as divine consciousness, I take steps towards expansion, awareness and realization. If my existence is part of the ecosystem, it is important to realize "I" is integral part of "We" as a whole. It doesn't matter how we comprehend life but it matters how we feel the oneness of all.

Life is like an equation. We know the question and we know the answer but we have to find the way towards that answer. In my view, the answer is already prewired. If we begin to understand the inherent nature of our true Self, everything begins to unfold automatically. Life is not rocket science unless we make it one. Journey from point A to point B can be done by one step at a time. But to do that, we have to realize everything we experience will pass and only the lessons will remain. It is like seeing the statue in a marble stone and removing all that is not part of the statue.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Journey is more important than destination.The experience of positives and negatives in life itself is to be considered a goal.
    As such there seems to be no end to these goals. As we seem to near the real goal of life, it seems a mirage and travels far away from us and other experiences unconnected with the goal ,haunt us. We have to be busy in solving those problems seemingly not connected with our real destination.
    The entire process is a journey towards unknown destination. Some station is nearing, we get down thinking that it is our place. Soon we are disappointed to find that it is not the right place to get down. We get into the same train or another train and proceed, meet so many people contact many experiences both good and bad.
    The sufferings are unique to each person. A person considers even a head ache as
    unbearable while the other bears all the pains, not necessarily cancer but other painful disorders.
    It is uncomparable.
    Even a person who puts up with all sufferings, both mental and physical becomes totally depressed saying;it is enough.'No more of it.It becomes the last straw on a camel's back.

But I have seen people with weak heart, who cry down for simple things manage the crisis unimaginably in an appreciable manner which even a philosophically oriented person will not be able to comply with.
    These feelings are momentary and such flashes attack any person at any time. Some may sit calm, some lament, some may vent out to close friends.
    But this too shall pass'-the lamenting, complaints will stop and they will be ready for further journey with/without bags and baggage, normally the baggages of old memories of grief and sorrow.
    God has provided us with a wonderful gift of'forgetting'which refresh us from past memories and help us to proceed.

Had we not been blessed with this wonderful gift, we would be lamenting over deaths that happened tens of years back and grieving over the losses incurred long ago.

I think instead of trying to answer questions, we can prepare to face, which is rather easier than answering. The solutions and answers will be at our doorsteps, as we proceed.

Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

[h=2]Satchi dear we all have so many questions in life and we get answers only for some of our questions. After reading others fbs I dont know whether what I have written is ok, but still I wanted to share my views

Yes, there is a reason for our existence.[/h] The reason for our existence is going to be different for each person. For me, the reason is so that we can make the world a better place for the young children that are now born into this world. We exist to make a positive impact in their lives so that they can enjoy a great future.

The above I got it from my best friend, Google and I also feel the same. We should live in such a way that people should be able to learn from us , its not so easy. Some things we can advise others but to live ourselves is difficult. Only when people face problems , they experience so many things. At those times some face the problem, take advices from friends or elders who are more experienced than them and whatever they feel is right to accordingly.

God has created everyone but each of us have different life. In our family only among sisters and brothers, some live happily without problems, they have supporting husband and good in laws. But some have supporting in laws but husband is not so supporting . In married life every woman should have a supporting husband thenonly their life will be happy. Without their suppor they lose confidence in them and are disappointed.

My sister being spiritual says leave everything to God when you have problems, He will take care and show you the way. Tell him its not my life its your life because you created me and you should see that I am happy.

I completely believe that there is a reason for our existence. Everyone on thisearth are born to do something. Everyone of us are here for a reason ,for a purpose ,for a new future .. Our personal life ,our goals, our wishes,,, everything is for our existence. The day we lose the reason for our existence we would lose our life because there is no life without a reason. My reason for existence is my family ,their happiness and I'm the reason for their existence ...The circle goes on ..At the end we are here for each other. We should take life as it comes then we are able to live life

If we think of our problems there is no end. We should think how to solve the problems for that we have to have faith in God and that He will take care. God gives us pains and pleasure so that we lead our life and know why we are existing. ..

I got this from google dont know whether it will be helpful for your questions

Many people believe that there is a reason for our existence and usually, though not always, it is based in religion. See Are all religions false? This may be a very profound belief that the only reason that we are here is because we are somehow required to be in order that we may serve some purpose in a grand plan of some description or other. This belief may take the form that this existence of ours is merely a brief step, or even a 'test' before we move on to greater things in another plane, another life, or indeed in Heaven. It is a very hard belief to ignore, even for those who would not normally describe themselves as being of a religious nature, but which can I think be explained by our own egotistical nature.

We all have of course self awareness, a feeling of 'self', of being aware of ourselves and our surroundings, and the only clear view that we can have of the world is, naturally, our own. We see the world as a sequence of events that happen to us and around us. We of course, from our own perspective, are very much central to all these events. It is not therefore surprising that we each consider our own existence to be important, regardless as to the actual reality of the situation. Logic would dictate that if one of us was to cease to exist the world would carry on pretty much as it always has, apart from being missed by friends and family of course. But logic can be ignored when it suits us and the vast majority of us consider ourselves to be important to ' the great scheme of things' to some degree or other. Our egos are not keen to accept that in reality we may not be of any consequence to the vast universe in which we exist, or indeed to humanity as a whole. Our importance to family and friends is, naturally, accepted.

Following on from the belief of our own self importance it is, I suggest, only a natural step to assume that we are here for a reason, to serve some purpose, even though we may not know what it may be. I am not talking here of family commitment or of our duty to others, but a grander purpose in the 'great scheme of things'. But is it true? Is there really a need for us to be here? Do we have a purpose within this vast universe?

If we apply logic to the question, then if we are here for a reason, we have to conclude that our existence must be necessary, otherwise we wouldn't be here. That being the case our existence alone should satisfy the 'need' to be here because we do not ourselves know what that reason is or what it is that we are required to do. It would follow that if our existence comes to an end, then we have 'done our duty',

3 people like this.