1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The magic of nature!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]It is trash night and I have to take the trash out. There is not much, but then there is that compulsion not for keeping the trash, but an urgent need, a pull to step outside. I listen to the feeling and drag the almost empty trash bin out. The gentle breeze surprises me. I place the bin and look up and the sight beholds me. Yes, the crescent moon with Venus and Jupiter right below it twinkling brightly! I am stunned and am left wondering as to what I was thinking staying indoors. I plop myself on the drive way and I am in tears as I thank the creator whoever it is for the beauty that is brought to me. The still stars blinking silently and more of them seem to appear as the eye adjusts to the dim light making me wonder how easy it is to miss the obvious. The blinking lights of a plane so far away every now and then only add to the beautiful stillness of the sky, the swaying branches giving me only a glimpse of the moon from the spot I am sitting at and my attention is drawn to a sudden flash of light high up and as I continue to look up, I realize it is not a shooting star but fireflies dancing in delight to the swaying branches, rustling leaves, the gentle breeze, the moon light! Oh boy what a sight to behold and all I can do is accept all the lovely energy coming my way, thanking every moment that I got to spend outside, alone.

I needed that time to wind down. I have been trying hard but it was not happening. I am not sure about you but some days I do feel bogged down by the happenings of the outer world. I try hard but to no avail. A kind of heaviness settles down and I know not how to react! I look around for help but seem to feel even more lost. My plants are flowering well. Even my Jasmine and kanakambara (crossandra) have decided to bless me this year and oh that curry leaf plant is simply shooting up. I make a note to ask my cousin who has curry plant branching out as to how she does it. I talk to my orange plant asking if it will ever give me a fruit while I see a small leaf shooting from the almost dead stem of beetle leaf plant. I am grateful that it is choosing to grow back after what I put it through, weather-wise! I see that the vegetable patch is growing well but has to fight it's way through the weeds to show me what vegetables they bear. I see them, reap the yield - three beans, 5 pea pods, some strawberries and the flowers in bloom for the hopeful yield of pumpkin and cucumber, not to forget the tomatoes.

Finally the yard work guys show up and clean up the yard like never before. They had to what with the yard having grown like a forest in their absence. There is an incessant steady drizzle but they work through the rain. The birds continue to chirp. All that work kids had put in assembling the feeders and then filling with the seed just the previous day has paid off. So many birds flying by, stopping to get some food and a drink! Oh how nice it feels. My pup continues to look at them with his head going this way and that but refuses to go out. Everything looks beautiful from the safe confines of the house perhaps to him. And oh when I try to take him out with an umbrella, I know I have put fear of rain permanently in him. The tup tup sound on the umbrella makes him drag me, run and hide under a bush looking at me pleadingly once and then again with a "What's up with you lady?" look!

With a sigh I come back in to the house, look at the sink full of dishes to be taken care of. As I do the dishes, looking out through the window at the better view I am gaining because of the clearing, my attention is drawn to an ant dragging a dead fly on the window sill. I smile wondering perhaps for a rainy day and realize hey that day is today! With the dishes done, I make a cup of coffee and on a spur decide to sit outside. Yes, in the rain. I have not done this in a long time. As I step out onto the patio despite the incessant rain, the swing is not wet and I am thrilled for now that can be my perching point. With a book in one hand, the warm mug of coffee in the other, I sit out thinking of those days growing up enjoying the monsoon sitting out in the balcony and eating pakoras! I don't have to tell you that that feeling is so heavenly...being in the open, rain falling in little droplets, the occasional breeze bringing in some mist my way. I suddenly feel calm and all the heaviness that I seemed to have been feeling lifted away suddenly. I then knew that the world knows how to take care of itself. I can only add to the beauty of it.

My DD comes down, finds me gently swinging in the rain and not getting wet and is by my side in a jiffy with a glee.[/justify]

13 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

You became the kid once again.Well u are attuned to apprciating the nature, most of the times we are in another world and dont even notice the surroundigns forget the nature,. we are lost in our thoughts.

i guess it must have been wonderful to get wet in the rain, as we used to as kids. i remember sleeping on the terrace when we came to Jaipur, counting the stars, pitch dark, the light breeze, the mosquitos, and how we used to put that cream on us so that they dont bite us.

And early morning we used to be woken up by the sound of the peacocks, and the heat of the sun, and we had to run down toour bedroom to sleep. it was wonderful sleeping in the open, and it would get vyer cold at night, even in summer.

Wonderful blog.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Your blogs remind me of Wordsworth...the nature poet. He believes that one can find a lot of solace, intellect, relaxation and I believe it is true also.
    After experiencing summer heat (42 to 45 degrees at one stretch) from 15th May to 30th May at Hyderabad when it rained what a relief it gave us!!!! No words to describe. Coolness in the air, smell of soil, rain.....No A/C or coolers can give that feeling!
    Beautiful blog, Sabita, the nature lover!
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

I was exactly thinking of that sleeping on the terrace, eating dinner on the terrace with family and all that. In fact I don't remember much of power cuts growing up but my parents made sure we were up enjoying the moonlit sky :)

So happy to read your memories of your childhood Kji. Thank you for sharing.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

Thank you for your words. I did read about the heat wave especially in your parts of the world. I agree with you, thank God it is over and what a relief it must have been to receive all that rain.

We have been having cloudy skies forever and ever and it was treat to have clear skies for sometime in the night. Rain good...just clouds...not so good. So it was a treat.

6. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Srama,

Only you can write this, I was with you enjoying the stillness. Thank you.
    Cheers
    Vani

1 person likes this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

You know who you are?
    I mean what you are..
    Yeh, we know you are S-R-A-M-A
    Yeh, we know that you are an astute gull!
    But I asked do you know who you are to me
    My guide to the skywalk to Terabithia!

You swath an enchanted and magical land from any barrenness with your twinkling sight and songbird speech, and one of these days the Jesse in me will clamber over the skywalk to join Leslie and inquire

"But these are only fireflies, where are the shooting stars"
    "Close your eyes and now open, do you see shooting stars"
    "YES, I do"

P.S: I hope you watched the movie or read the book to grasp the context.

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

You are on song when you talk about the nature. I am glad you are experiencing rain and enjoying the nature around you. I take trash out twice a week and I don't see the nature's beauty you see. Beauty of the nature is in the eyes of the beholder. At least, your snippet triggers me to be mindful of the surroundings next time I step out either to take Orion out or to take trash out.

A few incidents come to my mind from my personal life.

The first experience is when I visited Simla as a bachelor. The hotel my friends and I were staying were right at the top of the mountain range. I woke up in the morning to see the beauty of the mountain range. At a distance, I saw a blue-colored train slowing moving up the hill. The beauty of the cloud formation was unbelievable. Green grass, the dark-colored trees and light colored flowers made the perfect combination to please my eyes. At a distance, I saw hard-working laborers moving heavy things up the hill by tying those items to their back with a rope. I never felt the ticking time until my friends asked me to get ready to make a tour.

The second one is my maiden trip to Kodaikannal with my wife one day after our wedding. After checking into the hotel, we decided to walk out to enjoy the nature. While visiting Kurinji Temple, there was a telescope for us to view the beauty of the Palani Hills. It was really breath-taking. We walked and walked the streets and enjoyed the clouds passing through us, beautiful multicolored birds, Sun playing hide and seek with the clouds, occasional but sudden showers, the gentle breeze coming from the branches nodding to welcoming the weather and breath-taking beauty of the flowers around. We never felt hunger nor we bothered about us wandering in a new place with no specific place in mind to visit. We were lost in the nature for a long long time.

The third experience was during our cruise covering Croatia, France, Italy and Spain for our 25th wedding anniversary. We were siting in the balcony of our room watching the breath-taking beauty of the Italian coast while our ship was passing through a narrow sea between Italy and Sicily. We ran up to the roof deck to watch the beauty of the nature and captured them with our cameras for a few minutes. After sometime, I gave up taking photographs as I wanted to enjoy the moment. Again the colors that we had seen made us lose our consciousness about the time.

The Creator is an artist and all we need is a mind to enjoy the nature.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful narration @SRama. When growing up always had the opportunity to watch starry nights throughout the year and was able to tell where the big dipper would move in couple of months. Nice that you could see the fireflies too. Rain always plays a role of a mother when we feel low or heavy. I have experienced it many times. The first drop when it falls and the gentle breeze that carries the smell (manvaasanai) would just blow away all the heaviness. Enjoyed your post. Thank you

2 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani,

Thank you for your words and for enjoying the stillness with me :) Loved it!