1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Give without expectation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Jun 15, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

whatever comes to us, comes, for us to pass on! Whether it is wealth, wisdom, ideas or opportunities, all that comes to us, so that at the right moment, we can pass them on.

When we try to block the flow, we may feel ‘pressure’ in our life.
    Whenever you feel the 'pressure', check what is it that you are holding?
    Release it, or pass it on to someone else, and feel the relaxation!

Here is a nice story,

Once Krishna and Arjuna were walking towards a village. Arjuna was pestering Krishna, asking him ‘why Karna should be considered an unparalleled Donor, and not him?!’

To prove him a point, Krishna then turned a mountain into gold and said, "Arjuna, distribute this gold mountain among the villagers, but you must donate every bit of it ".

Arjuna went into the village, and proclaimed that he was going to donate gold to every villager, and asked them to gather near the mountain. The villagers sang his praises and Arjuna walked towards the mountain with a huffed-up chest.

For two days and nights Arjuna shoveled gold from the mountain and donated to each villager, but the mountain did not diminish in the slightest.

Most villagers came back and stood in queue within minutes. Now Arjuna was exhausted, but not ready to let go of his Ego, and told Krishna that he couldn't go on any longer without rest.

[FONT=georgia, serif]Then Krishna called Karna and told him to donate every bit of the gold mountain. [/FONT]Karna called the villagers, and said "That Gold Mountain is yours…!", and walked away!
    [FONT=georgia, serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=georgia, serif]Arjuna sat dumbfounded. Why hadn't this thought occurred to him?[/FONT]
    [FONT=georgia, serif]Krishna smiled mischievously and told him "Arjuna, subconsciously, you were attracted to the gold, you regretfully gave it away to each villager, and giving them what you thought was a generous amount. Thus the size of your donation to each villager depended only on your imagination.[/FONT]
    [FONT=georgia, serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=georgia, serif]Karna holds no such reservations. Look at him walking away after giving away a fortune, he doesn't expect people to sing his praises, he doesn't even care if people talk good or bad about him behind his back, ‘That is the sign of a man already on the path of enlightenment!’[/FONT]

Giving with an Expectation of a Return,in the form of a Compliment or thanks is not a Gift, but a Trade!

Jayasala 42

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 1"][/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 1"]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20 people like this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Jayakka dear I also second Joylokhi golden words. Some people give without any expectations and they get the best. Everyone should be like Karna.

Here also in IL some write a thread and dont wait for feedbacks, they are happy they have written the thread. But what to do I am not like that in expecting feedbacks, I write a thread and wait for feedbacks and feel very happy when there are so many likes and feedbacks.

But in other things I am not like that, I am ready to give anything without expecting. Me and my cousin sister used to exchange sarees. Once I had gone to their house and she liked the saree very much. Immediately I gave that saree to her and she gave me another saree. She is my athai's daughter and very loving , she also is like tha tonly. When we go to her house she gives us yummy lunch, and after having tea in the evneing with snacks only she will leave us. She used to stay near my office , so I used to go to her house during lunch and exchange our food. those were memorable days, but after her son's marriage everything changed because her dil did not like anyone coming to their house, though with me she was good. But I never used to go much after her son's marriage. Now theyare staying in Pune.

I always believe in Give to the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. I am not boasting myself but sharing my experience. There was a time when I did not have much sarees to wear but now I have so many but since I am not working cant make much use of it. So give to my close relatives who like to have. The more I give the more I get from weddings and my daughters give theirs to me.

Hope I have not gone out of the topic. Noone can be like Karna. They say the left hand shoudl not know what the right hand is giving, Dont know whether I have said it correct. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of giivng and bringing me happy memories . My Athai was 14 yrs older to me. But she was loving and caring and helped me in difficult times

6 people like this.
  4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt @jayasala42,

I am reading this beautiful story (on Krishna, Arjun, and Karna) for the first time. I was wondering why Arjun didn't ask the villagers to take.

The Tamil Pura Nanooru poem "Ninnaynthurainarkum" by Perunchitranar is a great poem on giving which you may enjoy re-visiting.

Saying," I give you" is surely different from saying "It is yours". The pleasure of giving, the pleasure of being in a position to give, the pleasure of having the mind set to give, the pleasure of thanking God to have made us to give - is indeed great.

Thanks for "giving" this lovely snippet.

3 people like this.
  5. rtramteke

rtramteke Bronze IL'ite

Hi JS,

Thanks for bringing focus on basic human values. I wonder and encourage others to share related stories of KARNA in their life, just curious to know whether KARNA's still exists in today's life or not?
    Thanks in advance

6. jayasala42

Thanks Joylokhi.Yes, giving with expectation is trade.

jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

There may be many Karnas. They might be unsung heroes without their names revealed to anyone.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  8. jayasala42

Dear Suryakala,
    There have been many vallals as per scriptures though they are not as popular as Krishna. As you said we all pray that our hands should be a 'giving hand' and not a receiving one.
    On many occasions we see people born on the same day with same nakshatra, lagna with identical horoscopes even with similar dasa balance totally differ from each other.One may be very generous and rich and the other may be poor and begging.

My mother would reason out" the generous one would have been conceived at a time when the king was giving and the other child would have conceived at the time of receiving.Though giving and receiving seem to be simultaneous, action of giving is at least fraction of a second earlier to the act of receiving.
    Your response reminded me of my mother's meaningful explanation for so many things in life. Having studies only upto class 3,,she was an embodiment of knowledge and wisdom.She used to solve so many algebraic problems with much ease to the amazement of college studemts. Poor lady spent her entire life in the kitchen and in grinding idli batter in the manual grinding stone for 25 people daily.

Jayasala 42

5 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

Dear Viji,
    I loved your response very much. Simple and humble to the core without frills.As circumstances change people have necessarily to change to keep peace at home. Not only your cousin, the normal is trend is to keep away with relatives.We may have thousands faceless friends around your monitor but not a single relative visiting home.
    We move with the tide.

Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  10. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42
    if you help someone ,don't expect praises/ remembering you in their whole life or faithful to you all the time in return.... Just do or give whatever you can do and forget rest of consequences..
    thank you to reminding About human values..:)

2 people like this.