1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

School For Feedback-ers!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Aria, May 31, 2015.

1. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Act- I

DK.jpg

(knock knock)
    Hello, anyone around?
    (reading the plate for the tenth time "S C H O O L for F E E D B A C K E R S")
    (tut tut...louder)
    VOICE (gruff): What do you want?
    ARIA: Huh, uh , yeh I want to enrol in the school
    VOICE (gestures to enter): Have you filled the application form?
    VOICE: What site do you feedback?
    ARIA: Oh! A site called "Indus Ladies" , a small site, just a local community kind of you know , people write, people write again, people respond, people respond again, you know ..just small site (shrugging my shoulders), oh! but they write well they write incredibly write like professionals..you know ..the type..you know the passion and you know...
    VOICE: We take separate classes premier for feedbackers for GQ, Conde Nast publications, Amazon reviews, Tripadvisor, and then we have standard class for all other feedbackers, last month we launched "Feedbackers for FaceBook" (FB for FB) a new boutique class, which one do you want to enroll in?
    ARIA: Oh! I'm happy to begin as a standard feedbacker, promise to upgrade next year
    VOICE: Tell me, what incited you to join the class?
    ARIA: To begin with , I was happy to scratch one liners "Good" , "Nice", "Excellent" and added an intensifier or modifier 6 months into the site "Very good" , "Very excellent". Gravy train for few months and then clackity-clack, weary, whistling the same text. Why not switch to customized track and then the difficulty started to kick in, how can one express effusion without gong of flattery, throw praise without flop of servitude, write without ruff of pomposity? How do I achieve that? That was when I came across your ...

VOICE (snaps): Ye, I get the drift did not ask you to write a feedback as reply, turn second right and then left

Act II

CR.jpg

SCHOLAR: Welcome to the class! You all know that giving a feedback is an art , a worship and loyalty programme? Do you all agree?
    (class nods)
    SCHOLAR: We have 4 courses this year.

1. Art of Flatter
    2. Art of Ingenuity
    3. Art of Facsimile
    4. Art of Actualization

ARIA: You mean FIFA of corrupt practices. Are those terms "flatter"[..] "facsimile" not artificial.
    SCHOLAR: They are! F- prefix is sustained in-thing for decades now! but that is how you enthrall people, claim their souls, gain stronghold ...
    ARIA: (a disapproving hmm)
    SCHOLAR: So class when you read something , no matter how ropey, you must begin with "Wow!", "Wonderful", "Marvellous!", "Unimaginable!" and few more un- , in- with a gaping expression. Your second paragraph should have atleast 4 "great" and 3 "awesome" and only when you run out of "impossible" , "extraordinary" should you resort to mediocre words like "nice", "good"

ARIA: Is that not cheating? fooling?
    SCHOLAR(snorts): Ha! You need to understand human psyche my young bespectacled lady who joined today.
    SCHOLAR: Do you know how Zuckerberg made millions and you think it is static blue and white logo? He tapped into human mind that craves for 3 fatal 'A's attention, admiration, association. Do you think millions trooped if the pictures in Facebook received just a simple "Ok" on every comment. A profile picture with matted hair n charcoal teeth "wow! you look like Aish Rai". A post detailing how one filed her nails in 10 lines receives 200 likes and flurry at OED dept to cater the demand for more adjectives in the next edition.

SCHOLAR: You've no idea how the world works, not how your favourite writer David MaCaulay thinks in "The Way Things Work"
    SCHOLAR: Moving on ...

Course#flatter: mind, you are not the butter but the butter-knife in this trick. The art is how you twist that knife not how much lard you sweep.

Course#ingenuity: you astonish the writer into feeling how on earth did she do what everyone is saying she did with exclamations like "Mind-blowing" , "Earth-shattering".

Course#facsimile: If there is existing feedback you like, copy and slap some non-verbal oh! ah! hooha! to the reworked comment.

Course#actualization: The final stage where you start writing a FB in anticipation of a post/picture/story.

ARIA: In anticipation of something?! Very advanced semester I guess
    SCHOLAR: In 9 months you will not recognize the level I would take you to ..
    ARIA: (sure, Just like people won't recognise which head-post is such atrociously lavish FB linked to)
    SCHOLAR: First you must choose your media outlet, is it networking site or social forum or review portal? Stylize your writing based on the chosen type. Ensure you chose a different font, color to rest and then flip the post and trying writing on the back few times till you have perfected, try to retrofit what you have written to tie-in to the original post, rework and then expand and then pump some more silicon implants, some more brandy, till it distends and looks like an overgrown partridge fed on hybrid corn.
    ARIA: Should feedback not be spontaneous, natural do you have to puff and bake it so much?
    SCHOLAR: You never write a fb to say what it is but say but what it could be so a deviation from reality is permitted and not to be taken as deception. Moreover mind you are FB -er so you should be concerned on how best to shade invariant Mundane as intoxicating Monet
    ARIA: But I want to write decent feedback, a light-footed feedback that does not stagger and trip on its crapulence

Act III

AF.jpg

VOICE: Hello, you!
    ARIA: I want to drop out the class, can you please arrange for refund
    VOICE: One class, one hour and you have given up
    ARIA: You see, I want to be a genuine FB-er. A hearty bowl of chicken soup kind of FB -er not a stuffed ostrich with sage and chive or some bloated sot.
    VOICE: Whatever! We have students who graduate, master and then earn PhD to return and teach here. Please fill the FB form those poor skills you initially enrolled to complete the refund process
    ARIA (reads the form):

Dear Correspondent,

I had big dreams of not laboring any original works but writing feedbacks which I thoroughly enjoy. Writing feedbacks is what listening is to talking, exhalation is to inhalation, clacking is to (slur, will finish this later). I had stellar vision to scale in this profession, polish my skills and make a decent unassuming living. Your school has taught me how stilted and stifled the path I have chosen could turn into if I followed the rules and methodology to boost fame and reputation. I don't exit as a reformed woman (trope of ending sequences in fictional narratives on flip of next page) but I step out of this stuffy campus as a woman who believes that if writing is an art then reviewing is that brush stroke which fills the fading color in a painting. The original post has no lifespan than the click of a button but the reviews extend its mortality by bumping the post time and again. Yes, I intend to see the fleeting, capture the elusive, focus on the grain and write about it in my comment. Yes, I have chosen to tell a person how I feel in as few or as endless words for how the post makes me feel and not how I want the person to feel about me after reading it. Yes, I've realized that a feedback is tougher than any form of writing because it scrapes and builds on elements of original writing while bowing to a subdued role.

Yours,
    Roll No: 1764

(walks out happy and jaunty)

Epilogue: Just an absurd writing on a sunday

23 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Now, now, now Aria. I am scratching my head to figure out which FIFA category my FB to this post would fit into. On second thoughts I shall let you figure that out. BTW, what is the category for FBs which talk a lot but say little?

Would be very happy to read more such "absurd" writings for many Sundays to come. It certainly is interesting to gain insights into the imaginations of my various friends, and your's is certainly vivid, colourful and entertaining.

Very original piece. :-D

3 people like this.
  3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Now , should I give my FB to this !!! kneesmiley

2 people like this.
  4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

The curriculum is for the day-school so not applicable for you. You've to register in night school (the nocturnal self-certified bee that you're), and I heard that the syllabus is dense and different. Ooh! The act was just a springboard to start discussion "Hey fellas, what is your opinion on feedbacks on articles earnest, sincere, useful, gratifying?"

That is Aria in full throttle category hugsmiley

Advantages of sleeping for 9+h. You better make a note and stop giggling!

2 people like this.
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Pavithra,

When I argue with my friends, and during the showdown, he/she stomps with a grunt I usually say "What am I supposed to do, argue on your behalf, sobeit, and start imitating him/her and talking from both ends, I say: X , you say: Xx, I add : Xxx, you respond: Xyx resulting in chinks of laughter on my poor imitation and we resume the fight again.

So don't worry over a hanging feedback I'll write one curving on final stage of actualization. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to write a FB for a FB, imagine if you "liked" and vanished and I'd be swatting at the doorpost waiting for someone to say "hello" before I can puncture their ears with my drone.

As I mentioned above to Satchi, cleared a plinth to talk about feedbacks,

• How constructive, critical, evaluating, uplifting should an FB be?
    • How sugar-coated, pepper-upper, eye-clapping, nose-twitching can I be?
    • How modular (no links to other posts), self-referential (reference OP, RP, RRP multiple times), arched (reference posts from other thread to connect with the reader)

So this is how I write to self a FB of 4 paragraphs over 1 line.

Wanted to mention and write about this back-breaking humpty emoticon as well but assumed you may never return to my page if you I don't shut up now.

2 people like this.
  6. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Ha..Ha..Ha..Ha..:rotfl

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Aria

I can write a thread but giving feedback is very difficult for me sometimes especially when it is from an excellent, super, etc. etc writer like you. Also giving reply to the feedbacks I get for my thread. I really admire Cheeniya Sir, my dear brother and Viswa also my dear brother who can write excellent threads and also excellent feedbacks. There are also others but by mentioning them I might forget someone. In IL we have so many talented and expert writers and I sometimes feel am I worthy to write snippets. But what today from day one I am an active member of snippets though I go to all the forums. I think this is the long feedback I have given to your thread :), dont you agree

Now before anyone goes I am going the finest forum and you will get a super reply to my nomination from my dear brother

4 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Aria,

Your post here has far exceeded the brilliance expressed in all of your previous posts. I am afraid to benchmark you with anyone else writing here as you have set a very high standard of your own in all your responses in general and this post in particular.

Absolutely. When spontaneous and natural responses come in, it feels like a fresh breath of inhalation when someone is drowning in the water of just likes, single phrase responses, emoticons or adjective-filled empty words.

I was curious to know "clacking is to _______?" Feedback in my opinion is what suggestions is to talking and absorption is to inhalation. In fact, the original posts sustain itself only from feedback and many times feedback is more valuable than the original post.

Hahaha. This is so true. Just like you giving life to "Perfect painting" today. Pavithra did the same a few weeks back, giving some more life to my other posts.

When the feedback captures the elusive and focus on the grain, the writer's sense of satisfaction gets intense. Most of the time, casual writer like me doesn't write with clarity of thought and even a feedback that acknowledges understanding is considered a reward.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. The feedback is to respond to the content in the original post and not to impress the original poster. However, I have to be honest that sometimes, the writer's background changes the feedback a little. For example, if I am classified as a spiritual writer and if I were to write with a new name starting tomorrow, I may get a response, "You write well, you should write more" as a comment. :)

What a profound statement this is! I wish I could practice it in real life by giving value-add and understand my secondary role in other's life.

Overall, everyone of your comments here are invaluable and deserves to be recorded as standards for feedback in IL as well as in every social media. You have made me conscious of your quality expectations and I will thrive hard from now on to meet the "Aria International Institute of Feedback Standards".

Viswa

3 people like this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aria,
    FBs have no rules to follow , according to me. Some can be spontaneous or hurried ( may be I regret later of what I have written), some genuinely spontaneous and sometimes just wishing (if it is some anniversary or birthday or some achievement)...it is genuine.
    But one thing is sure...FB is never intended keeping the person in view who wrote, it is the topic that we respond. Many times I scroll up and see who wrote it to address after writing "Dear....". Quite sometimes I wrote wrong names also. But they were nice enough to ignore my mistake.
    So, no steadfast rules. If it is boring they would skip it anyway. It is the reader's choice. I do that many times!
    Thank you for a hilarious one.
    Syamala

5 people like this.
  10. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

WOW!! Wonderful!! Amazing!! intelligent!! Unexpected write up Aria.

But I know you are the only one beautiful wordsmith who can pull such an awesome thought with such a mind blowing grace and eloquence. It flows like the carvings on the ajanta-ellora caves.

Totally agree with Viswa Sir's FB,
    "Your post here has far exceeded the brilliance expressed in all of your previous posts." :clap

Writing post has always been easier for me. But writing FB has always been challenge. Giving FB on FB is even more difficult as you want to appreciate the person for taking in the time to read and write FB but may have totally missed the relevant point you were trying to convey.

Aria looking forward to more lessons from you for us linguistically challenged people.

4 people like this.