1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Android,the Guru

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, May 28, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Whatever we see in this world teaches something or other.

11th skandham ,chap 7 of Shrimat Bhagavatham speaks of 24 Gurus-The earth,air,sky,water,fire, moon, sun,pigeon, python,sea, moth,honey bee,elephant,honey thief,deer,fish,prostitute Pingala,kurara Bird, child,young girl,arrow maker,serpent, spider and wasp.-- from which an avadhuta has learnt lessons in his life.Entire chapters 7, 8 and 9 are full of elaborationa as to what lessons he learnt from each of the above.

If the avadhuta is present today, he would have added Android phone as the 25th guru.
    We may wonder what is the association between android and the spiritual seeker.

1. Human beings are puppets in the hands of God. Now he dances to the tune of a small android
    held in his hand.It is a miracle that the small rectangular instrument has taken the position of Almighty within a short period of ten years.

2,we give so much importance to every 'app'.If that concentration is fixed on the Universal consciousness!

3.You need not visit the temple. Just open the android and see the screen saver.

4.Early in the morning one looks at the android at the missed calls, whatsApp messages.
    If no message, start verifying whether it is in 'mute', whether charge is there, if the tower is functioning etcetc.
    It is doubtful if one longs for aatma Saakshatkaram so much. how nice it would be if one diverts one tenth of this concentration on spirituality!How great a progress he would have achieved if he starts self assessment!

Whether even after having full grace of God,have I placed my inner mind in 'silent' mode?Have I missed the essential?

5. When I verify whether there is charge, I ask myself whether I have fulfilled the eligibility criterion to get the blessings of God Almighty.Whether I have been fully charged ( fully equipped)with credentials such as having love, affection ,sympathy and selfless service attitude

6.When another phone rings, you become too tense and long for some call.Wait for a few mts, start giving sms and only after receiving the required message you begin concentrating in other things.

That much of persistent efforts are totally missing in spiritual seekers.

Sometimes when we start praying and long for some vibration or a small feeling of devotion, so many thoughts intervene.Just get up from the pooja room and start attending to other activities.
    Android teaches you that 'persistent effort'is the key for success.

7.Analysing missed calls is a process in itself.Ignore certain calls,postpone certain calls and respond to some calls immediately.We talk in forceful harsh language to people who have disturbed you so often.

So many waves of thoughts dash on our mind during dyana. We have to learn from the android user, which thoughts to care first and next,and which to ignore.

8..When sabari was waiting for Rama, even if a small leaf or twig fell to the ground, she would look for Rama. When the bell rings, we wish the call should be intended for us.

Android teaches us to have darshan of the Lord at the earliest possible call.Reminded of 'Eppo varuvaaro enthan kali theera( When will Lord Siva Come to relieve me of my karmas)by Gopala Krishna Bharathi.

9..When we have to book foreign calls or to engage ourselves in continuos conference calls, full charge is a must.It is just like food for android.

A spiritual aspirant has to keep himself totally charged either in meditation or mantras.Even if the charger is fixed, if you don't connect it power, it is absolutely a waste, It is likened to do pooja without Bhakthi or shraddha.

10.This 24x7 small handy equipment teaches us so much whether it is on or off, kept charged/out of charge, whether mute/sound, whether in your hand or some one else's hand .It occupies our mind the entire day.

Why can't it be included along the list of 24 Gurus of Avadhuta?

Jayasala 42

7 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

It is amazing how systematically you compared spirituality with the Android phone and how you suggest spirituality to be practiced from our habits of using Android phone. The power of discrimination we have in deciding which phone calls to respond, which messages to read, how to get the phone charged to keep it functional all the time, what needs to be done before having a series of phone calls, etc., if applied in real life for spiritual practices, it would be invaluable.

However, sometimes access to information and communication 24/7 results in people making grave mistakes of writing or speaking something that they wish they had not done for better relationship. It is also important to allocate specific time to use mobile phones and emails. I have a policy not to look at emails or phone calls other than a scheduled time because many times, I end up spending a lot of time on my emails or phone calls when I have something more important to attend.

But I have to admit my Android Note 4 is a great tool towards helping me to get elevated from time to time. I can listen to Bhajans, Vishnu Sahasranamam, Lingashtagam, Hanuman Chalisa, Kanda Shasti Kavasam, etc. 24/7 including early morning hours and before I go to sleep. It also helps to take instant photographs of important moments that I want to capture to enjoy those moments latter. It helps me read Bhagavad Gita and Bible regularly. I was not successful downloading Quoran as yet as I could not find a good English Version app as yet. Some of Ted.com speeches are truly overwhelming when I pay my attention listening to speakers who makes the difference to this world. It also helps me to get lost wondering the beauty of creation by watching Discovery Channel and understanding the history through History Channel. I learned everything about Anchor Temple with the help of Android. Most importantly, Android functions as my external memory so that I don't have to worry about my fading memory. When I could not find the place I was visiting, it guides me how to reach the destination. It tells me everything about the weather from time to time. As you rightly pointed out, it trains me when to mute and when to speak.

Overall, how can I not accept your placing Android as 25th Guru?

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

All electronic gadgets have their own plus and minus.. Just as how a knife could be used to cut veggies and fruits to provide food to one person and make him live or it could be misused and be plunged in his heart to kill him...

The device is same , its usage differs from person to person... Just as how we should be master of our money and not the vice versa , we should be wise enough to put all these "modern day Gurus" to optimum usage...

Alavukku minjinaal amudhamum nanju ....

Regards,

Pavithra

2 people like this.
  4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jaya Ma'm,

After reading your very appreciative listing of the Android's exceptional qualities, I am willing to accept it as even my first guru now. :) My pranams to Guru Android indeed.

Seriously, a very beautifully written snippet. I might be in a better place if I put half as much focus on my spiritual path as I put into my gadgets. You have made me think Jaya Ma'm which is no easy task, let me tell you. :biggrin2:

2 people like this.
  5. jayasala42

Dear viswa,
    Thank you for your valuable response.I too agree that we should have a discipline is using electronic devices since there is a tendency to make us addicts and de addiction may be rather difficult. Thanks to advancement of science, Android has become more or less in built Guru which is inseparable, directing us in right/wrong way.Choice is yours.
    I am allergic to cell phones. Recently my grandson got me an Android and has loaded so much of applications which I have never learnt. We use it as an ordinary phone only.
    We need not go to Himalayas in search of a guru. now ready made guru is handy. You can regard him, respect him and utilise him to the maximum. But if you start misbehaving he will lead you into an irretrievable jungle from which there may be no escape.Old sages and gurus would spell curses on those who misbehave, but this guru silently may do more harm than a curse.
    Do you want to become a true disciple of Android?

Jayasala 42

6. jayasala42

Dear Pavithra,
    You have said it right. Modern gadgets are twin edged weapons.Right.Unless we have Control and keep the children under some discipline, Alas! I am too much worried. The temptation will become irresistible.
    Thanks Pavithra.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

Dear Meena,
    Now that you have chosen your Guru, next plan is to give your Guru a proper place and status.
    You give and take respect.All the best.
    As for myself I have just bought an Android and have not decided whether to become his disciple or not.

Jayasala 42

8. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Madam,

My cell phone is an old ordinary model which is useful to make/attend calls, send /receive messages and that alone is sometimes nuisance to me !!:exactly:

Regards,

Pavithra

P.S For the fear of landing up with a "Fake Guru" I have successfully avoided to "Buy a Guru" till date !! I must be one of those very lucky few !!gigglingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  9. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Jaya,

Though I'm receptive to brands and logographs that I've not explored, may I raise an objection and petition here in this instance ..why ...but why "Android" and not "iPhone"? iPhone comes with build-in nice ring and twang for canonization of Saint Braeburn, St Granny Smith , St Gala , St Mcintosh. Does St Android has any of that charisma and magnetism to thrall adherents? (mumbling to self: sounds like a fungus on instep of the foot).

The incomparable value add-in to my life ever since I bought my first smartphone is an app that converts speech to look-up text and pops the lexeme with it's meaning on my screen. Aah! I just have to say "V E R D U R E" and it pops "W E R E W O L F". Now, I may be fanciful but not rash to dismount the app from my digital palette as both of us have grown into each other with 4 upgrades, 3 fixes and 2 app-in purchases thereby the consecrated app parses and translates most of my heavy accented speech to words with a degree of reasonable tolerance. Download of that speech-to-text dictionary has singularly influenced and contributed to my upvote to hallow the metallic device.

Do consider my suggestion to add iPhone to that ecclesiastic pantheon.

10. jayasala42

Dear Aria,
    Thank you for spending your valuable time in going through the snippet.I meant that it is not ordinary cell phone. It may either be Android or still more advanced I -phones. As for as I am concerned It is the same to me as I am not well versed in using either android or I-phone.For me android includes I phones and the like.Now you have got a Guru in your hand.

Jayasala 42