1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Object of the Soul

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 15, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Rohan,

Every time we are born, we have to realize that we are born to learn not to be born again. Time and space are something that is bound to the materialistic world. We can only control our actions in each life and let it take whatever time necessary to achieve Bliss. When we get to that stage, we are not bound by time and space. It is all the more reason we need to be at that stage so that we don't feel the pain of time like what you and I feel now.

Durvasa is only one example of anger dominating the holy life. There are many such examples including the lust dominating over the goal. Even Brahmarishi Narada felt that he had conquered the lust until Narayana proved otherwise. Spending the high energy in Sabha is a waste of energy. It is like pressing the restart button in the computer when we were about to finish a post in IL.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Sir,
    This summarizes it all well for me.. You would not believe , that today morning before reading this post from you and enjoying illuminating conversations between you and Jayasala Madam , I was asking myself is it okay that we immerse in all our day to day "Lowkeeka" affairs which are always connected to either one or all of the worldly pursuits Dharma , Artha and Kama, instead of renouncing them to gain very the purpose of our life that is , Moksha. I was wondering, whether we are guilty in pursuing the first three pursuits.
    I myself consoled ,that in order to realize what is true happiness, Realizing the Supreme and releasing ourselves from Bhava Chakra , we have to experience all others which look like happiness but are short lived and come to a conclusion that we are not losing anything by renouncing them.

Instead of going straight in the path of Moksha , and secretly desire and long about the worldly pursuits leading to a guilty feeling , it is better to experience them outright without any guilty conscience and be liberated happily.

I remember a Zen story , where an Aged Guru Zen and his disciple on a journey come in to contact with a beautiful young woman who was afraid to cross the bridge owing to heavy current in the river. Without any hesitation the Guru took the lady on his shoulders and helped her cross the bridge. After that both continued their journey. Even after a long time the student could not digest the fact that a strict Brahmachari like his Guru did touch a young woman.

Sensing that something was troubling his young disciple, the Guru Zen encouraged him to come out in open. The disciple expressed his disapprovement citing this was not a good thing for somebody in pursuit of Moksha to do. The Guru Zen laughed at the younger's silliness and said that " I did carry her for a short while on my shoulder, to help her ,and have forgotten her completely. But you have carried her in your mind longer ,unnecessarily. Moksha is easily attained by realizing what to give up and why . I touched her without any desires of low grade but to satisfy my soul that would have been hurt if I had not helped somebody in need. " Hearing this the disciple got enlightened.

I am enjoying all my worldly comforts, but in my heart I realize the Hand of God in everything I encounter. So I am not guilty at all. I will just await my Time to even think about gaining the Supreme Knowledge. Till then it is Geethacharyan's guidance, Do your duty , seek not its fruits.

Thank you both , yourself and Jayasala Madam for a relieving article,

Respects & Regards,

Pavithra

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Viswa dear a thought provoking thread as always. It was nice reading the conversations from Jayakka, Rohan, Pavitra etc. Like Pavitra has mentoned I enjoy my life but all the time God is in my heart and is with me and I experience that because of the punya my husband is doing I dont suffer much, that I realised in my recent fall. Nothing serious happened, Iam able to cook and not trouble mama much. Only thing because of my hairline fracturein my left hand I am not able to type, so only read the posts but this thread is an exception and i am typingw ith one finger and this should be in finest post

2 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Pavithra,

What a fabulous response from you! You have summarized the gist of what I was trying to communicate in an much more eloquent manner. Bhava roga is the most difficult disease to cure and like curing the snake bit with the poison of the snake, desires of human beings can only be satisfied by pretending to attend to those desires by leading a normal day to day life. Very few lives are perfectly capable of seeking the Truth immediately after birth like Adi Sankara (Shiva Swaroopa). We are like children who constantly try to climb the windows or touch the fire without realizing that it would hurt if there is a fall or burn. Once we experience it, like children, we understand the risks associated with pursuing the worldly desire. Mind is an adroit substance and is perfectly capable of adapting to the circumstances.

Yes. The Zen story is a perfect example of how one should lead one's life. We have to run our life with an attitude of detachment. In the example of Zen, he only was trying to satisfy his own soul by helping the woman and he was detached at the body/mind level. Whereas the disciple was carrying her memories in his mind that was tainted with ownership of actions. Performing actions as duty and performing them skillfully, lovingly and selflessly with no expectations is the best way to perform actions in everyday life.

If the Universal Absolute is Omnipresent, He is everywhere and no action can be performed without His presence. Only yesterday, I was reading a Facebook message about the reasons Lord Krishna explained why he didn't intercept in Dharma indulging in betting with Duryodhana. He explained that Duryadhana didn't believe in his own skills, he was willing to bet all his properties but assigned the rolling of the dices to his uncle. He relied on his Viveka to entrust the rolling to Sakuni. It is a rule that Viveka should win the battle against weaknesses. Whereas Dharma believed that he could win on his own and did not suggest that Lord Krishna will roll the dice for him. He did not use his discrimination. Had he done that, Lord Krishna would have defeated Sakuni then and there. Besides, he was ashamed of what he was doing in the process prayed, "Lord. Help me. I don't want Lord Krishna to see what I am indulged in. I pray that He should not come to Asthinapura". Even after he lost himself and all his brothers, the brothers were cursing only Duryodhana and his brothers but at no point of time requested Lord Krishna to interfere. Even after Duchadana was holding the hair of Draupathi and brought her to the court, she relayed on her own skills to argue what Dharma did is unreasonable and argued with people in the court about the unreasonableness of the action. Only when Duchadana was trying to undress her, she prayed to Lord Krishna which resulted in Him coming to her rescue. He nicely explains that even the Lord could not interfere with Karma unless the devotees seek help. None of them firmly believed that without the Lord's presence, nothing happens. Dharma thought he should not be seen playing the dice by Lord Krishna. Everyone trusted their own strength but didn't think Lord is everywhere. Lord is a witness to everything.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

You have made me become emotional after reading your post that you cared to respond to this post despite you having a hairline fracture in your hand. I can't thank you enough first of all for reading and responding to this post but also nominating this post. As I mentioned many times, more than ILites learning anything from my posts, it is always me who learn much more from invaluable responses of ILites. In this post, Smt. Jayasala, Rohan and Pavithra added much more value to this post through their responses.

You and your husband are great souls and always believe that God is with you. Your actions reflect His presence. No harm will come to you. Even major huddles that come due to Karma will disappear with the grace of the Lord as you are always seeking His presence. The above explanation of Lord Krishna I mentioned above in response to Pavithra is always applicable to you as you believe in God's presence always.

Get well soon and my prayers are with you.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thankyou Viswa for the nice feedback and prayers .God bless you

1 person likes this.
  7. PavithraS

Thank you , Viswa Sir , for a detailed response.

Krishna came to the rescue of Draupathi, when she chose the path of complete surrender, Saranaagatham . Is not he Saranaagatha Vatsalan ?

Even Holy Bible says, Seek you will be Given ! I am sure Holy Quran will also say the same.

Instead of fearing that we are drowning in the Ocean of Actions, Samsara Saagaram , just imagine that He is who sails us through, will not that be an action of Pleasure and Peace ?

Respects & Regards,

Pavithra

1 person likes this.
  8. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

I would like to say something...
    For God to sail us through the oceans, we should also have good actions as our proof of worthiness. I read from one of the book that, God helps those, who helps themselves. What I mean by that is, we should do good actions for God to take notice of. Just adding more to your statement. Don't want to hurt.

2 people like this.
  9. PavithraS

Rohan ,What is there to get hurt ?:confused2:

God is like protective parents, who not only take care of their children by providing for them but also let them do things on their own and enjoy the benefits of a good deed and learn from a bad deed.

But the children themselves only have to choose the path of actions that they want to perform. When they are hurt they will be only ready to soothe and take under their wings, but they can not always dictate the children what to do with their life.

Like how they guide what is good and what is not, God has also given us enough reasoning capability to choose between good and bad.

Nobody can be the reason for our thoughts and actions, even if we are influenced by others only we decide to get so.

It is indeed true that if we choose wisely, God will also speed up things for us.

Thank you for the response,

Regards,

Pavithra

2 people like this.
  10. JShreenath

JShreenath Senior IL'ite

What a wonderful thread and amazing posts.
    My personal opinion FWIW is that if one decides to opt for the ashram of a Grihastha/Grihini(for 99.9999% of this is ideal huh?) then all four aspects of chaturvidha purushartha must begin. Why?
    1)This is mrutyulok. There's no guarentee that we will be here tomorrow.
    2)When we are young/younger, our bodies are capable of meditation for hours and posture becomes easy
    3)Waiting for retirement(a lot of people think or are programmed this way that we have to wait for retirement/vanaprasthashram in olden days) to begin 'sadhana/abhyasa' means we will have created huge mountain-loads of karma in this life time.
    4)Why repeat the same thing again and again and expect a different result?

So efforts must begin in earnest as early as possible. If you look at life stories of a lot of great souls who attained final beautitude, it becomes obvious that they began early(perhaps those are the yoga brushtas which Shri Krishna mentions in the Gita.

I would like us to continue these dialogues here because this could spur us towards more 'abhyasa'.
    Regards
    JS

1 person likes this.