1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Have you become what u wanted to be?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sadhuvi, May 15, 2015.

1. sadhuvi

sadhuvi Senior IL'ite

Dear all, All of us would have had our own ambitions/aims in childhood regarding our Future profession..We would have thought, I will become like this n that and all..I am sure many of us would have seriously pursued our childhood dreams reg our profession and even achieved the same in our lives...I started this thread just to think about those early childhood wishes which kept on changing and what we do now.....

Ok, Let me first start about mine..During my schooling days, I had many wishes - first I wanted to become a teacher, then wanted to become Police officer, then a Journalist and finally I ended up in a profession totally different from all my childhood wishes..I fully love my current profession now, but sometimes used to think how funny during my school days my wishes kept on changing !!!!!

Have you all become what u wanted to be????? Pls share your views..

2 people like this.

2. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sadhuvi,

Since the time I have known my dream and passion was to be in the Food Business, wanted to be a Chef :) . Not something that is acceptable by and large, so I could not pursue my education in that domain. I satisfied my interests on a personal level at home all over the years though. My MBA just happened since it was the thing happening at that point of time and I continued a rather satisfied career in the corporate world for a couple of years, before I finally quit.

But yes today I can proudly say " I am doing what I wanted to do" , No I didn't become a Chef in a restaurant :-D started my Catering business a couple of months back and so far it's going good. It's been a long road home for me, and still a very long way ahead too.

Only other desire apart from the above was to be an Archaeologist or a Relic Hunter, LOL... Well it's alright by me now that it didn't happen :mrgreen:

5 people like this.
  3. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

At this point of time, I want to be a good, happy, then a successful person. Because on our death bed, I don't want to die regretting about not being able to fulfill my first two wishes. That is all I want to be at this present time. But we all know, time goes on changing, situation goes on changing, that in turn keeps on changing us. I pray to God, that whatever you do, please let me keep practicing my first two priorities. But, lets see what happens...

2 people like this.
  4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I wanted to take up writing, strongly demotivated by my family then. Couple of years back, tried my hand and did that part time. Satisfaction I had was immense. But I cannot think of changing my career due to emi and other commitments.

4 people like this.
  5. sadhuvi

sadhuvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Scorpio - That's great..U r finally doing what you wished..

Hi Rohan - you r right n all the best

Hi Blackbeauty - All the best ..Keep chasing ur dream..

1 person likes this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Glad to see some success stories here. :)

I was a SW programmer for four years... I always felt struck but I couldn't do anything about it due to my family situations & am being a primary bread winner... Then things changed little bit, I had quit too. Worked on my creative passion... But just when I found a mentor to learn under, who is an upcoming in that field, personal issues again... I had to drop off whatever I was up to and now that so called top mentor thinks I wasn't sincere, instead took another person as his student for the year. I have to redo again to apply next year... This has put me off currently a lil bit but guess to fight for what you want to achieve doesn't come easier either. Never mind, soon to start from scratch again hoping for a better 2016. :)

2 people like this.
  7. sadhuvi

sadhuvi Senior IL'ite

Dear Kaniths

All the best ...

1 person likes this.
  8. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hai everybody
    As a child I wanted to be a teacher latter wanted to be a writer and scientist.some school moral science influence to make the world a better place than what it was when you were born has stuck in my mind ,& keeps me going
    As I grew up I only wished to be a scientist and find a cure for cancer and in those early years always wished I could get the Bhatnagar young scientist award.
    It so happened that I was compelled to take up the teaching profession at that moment i detested it but in retrospect I feel I have a flare for teaching and all my students love me and feel very gratified .Then the wish of being a scientist too I have done very well given important products to the country, published and in some ways recognized too but never got the Bhatnagar award hope is always alive and now hope to have a life time achievement award !!!..yes in retrospect I have lived my dreams though it was not a cake walk I have been ok successful in some ways , could have done better but no regrets.yes I have made life better for the common man in India with my innovations. The investors have got the Padma awards and may be I have been mentioned by them as the person behind .To be honest it did hurt me very very much that the award went to the moneyed person and not to the brain behind.over time I have come over it and at the bottom of my heart I feel happy that I was able to do what I wished though I did not find a cure for cancer I have worked in this area and made some good contributions and still continue in some way may not find a cure as in my naive mind yet yes make worthwhile contributions in this area : Tomorrow is yet another day till I finally call it a day in life.
    god bless all
    love gita

5 people like this.
  9. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

What have you invented?? Oh please tell us.
    I want to tell you my similar disappointments. I was disappointed when my team didn't win the National level working model competition. It went to a some other group. I was so confident that ours project will win it, because it was of that level. And the group that won had already won the same title twice. We all wanted to change that. But we didn't win, it went to the same group making a hatrick. I never felt so disappointed ever for losing a competition. But that was one of it.
    Please do share your achievements with us.

2 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I always wanted to be a - hold your breath - a doctor!!! Did not become one, so tried to console myself by doing research. That did not lead me where I wanted to go, so tried teaching a language. Enjoyed doing that, but life had other plans for me. Had always wished to know what my hobbies were - had none except reading and travelling when I was studying and working, but never had the time for it then.

Life decided enough was enough and one must at least know what interests one has in life. So it made me retire before I had even started working properly and ever since then I have been doing various things as and when they take my fancy - reading, writing, farming (virtual), real life gardening, photographing birds ..... So all in all, no regrets. In fact after marrying a doc and having a lot of friends who are docs, I am eternally grateful to the one upstairs for not letting me become one.

2 people like this.