1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Left, right; left, right

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Trupti12, May 2, 2015.

1. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

I have always loved marching. The rhythmic and organized rise and fall of feet and arms in a hypnotizing pattern has a beautiful sense of steady choreography to it.

This love was instilled in me at the young age of 10. I was studying in a small school that had started with my batch. So, effectively, I was the senior-most student in the school at Class 4.

My school operated from an old, two-storeyed British-era house in Belgaum. We were a small knit family, the strength of my class being all of seven members. But for such a compact number of students, we had excellent teachers. They wouldn’t teach us just our subjects. No. Several other important things were incorporated in our curriculum; like dance, arts and crafts, Sanskrit, music, an hour set aside only for story-telling, and ample amount of time to play outside in the backyard of our school/house.

Our school was ambitious, yes sir. The fact that all the students were aged 10 and less did not stop us from hitting all the competitions organized around the town. That was how we gained exposure. Among those contests, there was a local marching competition and all the big and old schools from our town participated in it. Not deterred by the fact that we would be facing full-blown “grown-up” students from class 7 to class 10, our school had also entered itself to compete for the marching trophy.

We had a PT teacher, and like all PT teachers, he had a mean look about his face (mostly because of his substantial mustache) and we were terrified of him. His mustache and those angry eyes scared us to no end! He began training us for our first marching competition. He started by dividing us into groups of five people and asking us to march to his count of “Left, right, left, right…”

When it was my turn, I couldn’t get my arms and feet coordinated. I just couldn’t. While my left foot was going up, so was my left hand, the opposite of what I was supposed to do. My PT teacher was yelling himself hoarse at me. His anger was making it that much harder for me to grasp everything and I was going from bad to worse. His frustration at me peaked and slap, slap, slap! Three smacks right across my face.

I was stunned! Hurt and humiliated, I burst into tears, lost it and ran away into the building. One of my teachers, Mrs. Kamat, was watching the practice. She was a kind old woman who grew strawberries and bananas in her garden and distributed them among students at the school. She had a face that reminded me of my grandmother. She used to wear her saree like my grandmother too. I had always felt warm and safe around her; she was the one who told the stories in the story-telling period.

As I rushed into the inner courtyard, wiping my copious tears, I bumped into her. She clasped my arm and without a word steered me into an empty classroom. I realized it was our story-telling room. There were no desks there; you were required to sit on the floor while listening to a story.

She sat on the chair reserved for teachers and held me at an arm’s distance and peered into my face. She asked me why I was crying. Between ragged sobs, I told her I was a complete failure at marching and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do something that all my classmates could.

She wiped my tears and in her presence I calmed down. She said she would teach me; marching was really easy to learn. She asked me to walk the length of the room, up and down. Puzzled, I did as she told me. I walked. She asked me to walk again and I did. And again. But this time, she asked me to notice how my arms worked while I walked. I observed that while I was walking naturally, my left arm swung up while my left foot was forward and vice-versa.

It was then that she explained that marching was the same, only it was more rigid and in coordination to the others beside me and to the music. She made me walk a little stiffer and eventually to the chant of “Left, right, left, right.” And what do you think, reader? Lo and behold, I was marching!

She took my hand and led me back to my PT teacher. Shyly, I demonstrated my marching to him. He bestowed a twitch of his mustache upon me, which I took for a smile and his satisfaction that I could march now.

After practicing for a few weeks, we marched in the big competition, where we were admired by many who called us ‘Tiny-tots’. They marveled at the ‘Tiny-tots’ marching excellently, with their little faces scrunched up to look military-haughty. Our team entered many marching competitions later and we made ourselves proud.

Years later in another school, I was to be made the captain of my school house in my class 12. That year, in our yearly marching competition between all the school houses on Sport’s Day, I was the only girl leading a house team, shouting the marching commands and holding my house’s flag straight and high. I hope I have done Mrs. Kamat proud, the lady who taught me how to march.

7 people like this.

2. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

Great post!!!
    Even I had some experience like that but a funny one. I had to lead my squad in a parade. I was in 10th grade. I was nervous and excited. Then parade started. I started marching. I was leading with confidence. I had to stop at one point. I reached that point and stopped. I just looked behind and what I saw was extremely horrifying for me. My squad was way way way behind me. I had out marched my squad!!. My PT sir never allowed me to lead from that point onwards.

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Trupti,

Your liking for marching is amazing. I liked marching too but for a different reason. Besides the rhythmic sound it made like a coordinated concert, it demonstrates discipline. Human's biggest huddle is controlling the senses and mind and I feel marching helps to control them which does not happen that easily when we are doing other activities. There is some sense in teaching marching to the children.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  4. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Dear @rohanj,
    Haha I remember that happening to one of my friends! That happens all the time during practice. I'm glad my post invoked a memory from your past. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Dear @viswamitra,

I believe my teachers shared your belief that marching, among other things, also instills a sense of control of the mind and body, which is why they chose to teach us. It is things like that, which when taught to a child, contribute in shaping the persona of the child as he/she grows up.

6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

My dear @Trupti,

What a lovely little school! I would have loved to study there. Mrs. Kamat is probably one of those rare teachers who really knew how to reach children.

I loved reading the whole write-up. Took me back to my own school-days of houses, crisply starched and ironed uniforms, hair plaited and tied up if its too long and bunched with white ribbons and march, march, march..... The competition was pretty fun.

Belgaum and no Divine providence, eh?

1 person likes this.
  7. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Dear Butterflyice,

Mrs. Kamat was one of those rare teachers who go beyond their subject and reach out to their students on a humane level. That is why I still remember her to this day.

Divine Providence was our biggest competitor and the competition was in fact hosted in their school!

What surprises me the most is you know about Divine Providence and Belgaum! Do we share common roots that I don't know of yet? Do tell! :)

8. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Hah !! March Time March !!!!!!!!

One of us should shout .Left..right.. left..left.. I had a loud voice and used to turn coarse before the R-Day parade. No modern technology. One Mike sets.. That too were rented only the day before the rehearsal. Wonder how it is done today. Play it in the iPhone or iPad. :)

Atleast one kid will faint under the sun due to the strenuous practice.

Being the leader of your band and marching them forward is supposed to be the most prestigious position those days. Thanks trupti.. you made us walk down the memory lane. Feeling nostalgic... :)

9. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

How can one not know Belgaum when travelling to and from Mumbai to the southern states?

DP, Gogte, Kundha, Rani Chennamma park, Goa Ves and Potdar jewellers.......

To know these, one ought to have family there or atleast have the privilege of being born there :)

I had one bunch of cousins studying in DP and another bunch studying at the local govt school. They had the choicest epithets for DP, one of them being Daddh Pudi;) I still have family living there. One of my favorite places of all time, the climate, the people, the greenery... what's not to love?

Glad seeing a belgavi girl here :)

3 people like this.
  10. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Dear @VanithaSudhir,

It's incredible how many people have marching memories here! It was quite what I had expected. :) Glad you liked my work.

1 person likes this.