1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too busy-Not a tribute

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Apr 25, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A busy life today.Many people ,men, women and children talk of something like busy schedule.Father is busy with business. Mother is busy in the kitchen, scheduling the children's day to day programmes, take them to lot of extra curriuculars-music,dance, swimming, yoga and what not. Children are always in a hurry-busy in home work given by schools and tuition teachers,practice piano lessons, do maths with Abacus.Both parents/children have become addicts to this busy life and never accept anything to the contrary.

There is a lot of difference between how we were brought up and how our grandkids are being motivated.sons and daughters have absolutely no time even to talk with their old parents. Busy--busy--busy--.Is it a tribute or shortcoming?

Definitely there seems to a problem,without realising which we are celebrating.My neighbour
    boasted to me that she had not slept even for 3 hours for the past two weeks.Why rational people so irrational in their behaviour?
    To be alive in this world of competi tion is it a must to be affected by the stunning malady of'busy'ness.Are they affected or rather infected by it?It seems to be more of bubble of Real Estate Prime lending that shook the world 8 years back.

We are at the wrong path of over valuing certain aspects of life like education, sports, Fine arts etc unconnected to the reality.In the world of communication , we are aware of what everyone else is doing more than what we should do.An unhealthy competition totally unsuited to the skill sets prevails.When we engage ourselves in having all, doing all and achieving all--all become nothing in no time.

Any day this 'too busy', too much involvement is the undisciplined pursuit of MORE,MORE, MORE leading nowhere.Success never means becoming a superman/super woman.
    Setting very high expectation, building peer pressure make the children stressful and depressed.
    Everyone has started quoting Erricson of the deliberate practice which invariably brings success.The 10,000 hours of practice has gone into the heads of everybody to make son/daighter the best performer in the field without realising what'deliberate practice' means.Is it just an hourbased target?Deliberate practice does not mean 24 hrs busy, but a calculated practice with frequent self assessment, rectification techniques intermitted by 8 hrs sleep a day.

Parents in their high ambitions fix unrealisable targets that keep the parents and children very very busy-definitely not a tribute to either.

It is high time that we stop being too busy, fix the essentials and eliminate the unwanted.Create free zones for themselves and children.Just remove the clutter,focus only on essentials.Overstuffed lives may be made lighter and easier to enable concentration on things that really matter. If not now, never.
    We may regret having disregarded a handful of valuable things and having wasted precious hrs in trivial things that do not matter at all.

It has been dinned into our ears that" fortune taps at our door only once and make the hay while sun shines/'
    These sayings are not always applicable, We should be able to say 'no' to certain good opportunities and create space for ourselves to decide the essentials.
    This may look counter intuitive to go against the popular 'ever busy' slogan.
    But the remedy for the crisis is to desist bragging about the " I am too busy' mentality ,desist from MORE and MORE turn towards the more constrcutive , more disciplined 'LESS' and 'BETTER'

Jayasala 42

sindmani, Poetlatha, Kamla and 7 others like this.

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala42

While kids are pushed from one class to another, they dont have any free time!
    And when they DO have free time (like sitting in a train watching out of the window) - they have absolutely no idea what to do - and trouble everyone or create tantrums!!

Many parents ask me - how do you travel to so many places alone with your son - I cannot manage my kid at all - they cannot sit in journeys, need constant entertainment during holidays, need more attention when going to sight see !!

I tell - my son can entertain himself - he always carries a couple of books and once book is over, he can talk with me, when I'm tired, he can watch out of the window or start a conversation with another adult sitting nearby!!!
    So I have been travelling alone with him since he was 3 years old ! (DH doesnt come usually)

I have some kids as students - XII std - they go to school at 7 am, come home by 6:30 pm, have snacks and then come to my house to study! They are alert for the first 45 minutes - 1 hour, but start yawning by 8:30 pm - it is so tough on them!

But ask them about the latest whatsapp joke, they can all tell you! So gadgets are also one culprit !
    The ease with which parents handover a phone/tab/ipad to a 2 year old just to keep him quiet or to feed him or because they are too busy - it is scary!!!
    Do they even put up safety checks on the gadget ?
    Do they even think about the exposure they might get from the gadget (not only the electromagnetic waves etc, but also the adult content from ads and games)?
    Do they put it in kid mode?
    Do they disable calls and give it?
    No, they just hand it over!

Sorry for adding my own peeves!! Your post touched a nerve! Without pausing to think what is important, we are busy with "being busy"

3. jayasala42

Dear hrastro,
    Being actually on the scene you have added much more value to the snippet. Normally seeing, children seem to manage with 'busy' ness and parents are likely to conclude that children are much more capable of coping with pressure. But what psychiatrists feel that a few students may. But majority of children may become tense and depressed at about 16, and the same may be misinterpreted as normal adolescent behaviour. I feel parents, especially mothers have to take care of this aspect. Comparison should be made with the same child at gradual intervels and not with other kids, even with siblings.

My DIL comes with a big box of puzzles, books and other materials to keep the children engaged during the travel and during their stay in India.
    They will play for themselves without causing tantrums.The library facility in US is simply amazing!.They take nearly 20 books every 20 days and write what they learn from each book. In schools they are awarded some flag as encouragement.

In India, there are not so much extra curriculars,yet the school pressure itself is too----- much.
    As I meet many parents and discuss, they invariably say that they understand the implication but can't help being victimized and somehow they want the children in top schools.It is a vicious cycle. Perhaps after 100 years the third generation of the present day children may feel the pinch and may be placed in an irretrievable mess. God bless them!
    Your views on this issue are much more valuable since you people who are endowed with the responsibility of moulding the young minds..

Jayasala 42

sindmani, hrastro and shyamala1234 like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala Madam,
    In this world of "Busyness" if something says he/she not busy they are look like weird people. Leave out the adults...adults are not happy with their business, want the children also to be busy.In fact they make them busy. In USA kids are taken from one extracurricular activity to another.All five days a week and some on saturday also. Even games kids play...football or tennis or basket ball anything is given in a playground as a class, a coach is there and teaches them. Even that is not fun like playing and kicking the ball on their own.
    Dance. music (Indian and western), kumaon, karate and the list is very long. They come back from school, eat a snack and mom drives them to the class, come back, do their home work..no time to be on their own Everything is a peer pressure. My niece , 12 year old kid takes part in school debates, spell bee competitions and even for that they have coaches. They give the topic for debate a few days and this coach trains them, gets material from Google, I guess and this girl gets a prize and that coach is much sought after. I asked her mom why is she pressurising her child so much. Mom has studied in India and had a very relaxed childhood. She says that the daughter wants them. I did not say anything but I don't believe it. In India it is the craze of tutions right from lower KG.
    Madam...a very thought provoking blog which is relevant to every child and parent.Thank you.
    Syamala

sindmani, jayasala42 and hrastro like this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Haha hahaha
    Thats true! The minute one man/woman says - "I was so busy I couldnt even call you", the other pipes in immediately - "yeah i forgot to even eat today ! Can you imagine?? " and another says - "yeah no time at all, I have to keep running from here to there and there to here!"

And when we ask - but what are you busy with ? no one knows!

One lady's 13 year old daughter asked her mother (a home maker like me)
    "When we go to HR Aunty's house she spends time with us, she has time to talk things, show books or interesting websites etc, you dont even have students like her, why cant you spend time with us?"

The mother says she is busy !!

She came and asked me - "My daughter asked me this. But I'm busy. I cant sit with my kids in the evenings, I have to make dinner, fold clothes, heat milk, clean kitchen, etc etc etc! "

Even if I suggest something like do it in the afternoon or morning or other ideas - it never works for them because again they are busy with something else !!!

Maybe they are happy with their "busyness" and dont actually want a solution, they just want to talk about their "busyness"

sindmani and jayasala42 like this.
  6. jayasala42

Dear Syamala,
    Thank you for giving a nice feedback.Why is this 'busy'mania? Being busy for 'busy' sake? I don't understand this logic emanating from elite mothers. Once they reach parenthood, perhaps they fall in line with other ordinary people who cannot think beyond a certain level.When my servant maid told me that her daughter is weak in Maths and even with tuitions she is unable to score above 50%.With Reservation system, even with min percentage she could get admission to one of the Engineering colleges in the city.But she says with extra caution that in Engg all subjects are connected with Maths and she is likely to fail. "I have asked her to go in for Arts, where she can be happy and tension free and get good scores. There is no use of pressing the child"she admits.

But we don't get such satisfaction in elite families. Our motto is'If you want to reach the tree, your aim and preparation is to reach the sky. .Some children of their own evince interest in things. The peer pressure created is so enormous these days.. I really pity the young.

jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  7. jayasala42

Dear hrastro,
    You caught the point. Many people want to show off that they are very busy.In those days there was no gas stove. 50% of the time was spent in lighting the oven( aduppu) with firewood.The chores done in minutes these days took hours and hours.So many women had actually no time but to do the kitchen work. With all the gadgets in hand, we can spend more time with children,make them tension free.As you rightly said they are just happy with being busy without realising the purpose of'busy'ness.
    Thank you hrastro.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    OMG! I was really too busy for the last few days and had no time to visit IL.
    Nowadays 24 hours seems to be not enough for people. Always people are chasing something. From home makers to working women all are equally busy. Kaalaththin kolam!

PS

2 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

Dear Pushpa,
    you are very correct.'Puli vaal pidiththa nair' kathai pol irukkirathu. They are travelling towards an unknown destination. Kaalaththik kolamaa? alankolamaa?
    Jayasala 42

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

A thought provoking post Jayakka , so Ifirst went and nominated the same. Yours was the first nomination for this month but first I gave a wrong link. You are cent percent right. Now a days everyone says they are busy, no time to talk, no time for things which are very important. They dont realise we should make hay while the sun shines. What is the use of worrying which we could not do, like giving some time to elders and kids who are very important when we could and afterwards repent for it. Kids need their parents attention till they grow up and elders become kids when they grow old and are very happy if their children spend some time with them.

In this modern world everyone wants everything perfect , so in keeping perfect they dont give time for others. Working women says I could not spend time with my chidlren as I am working and after coming from office I have other work to do. Children are also sent to so many classes without thinking whether they will be able to manage and do they have the capacity.

Sorry if what I have written is wrong, I felt this is the present situation everywhere. Kali kalam

sindmani and joylokhi like this.