1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A very tasty accident ;-)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by hrastro, Apr 21, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yesterday my son and I had our meals rice and dal and sabji and curd in the morning itself (have to pack for my DH lunch too), then I spent the whole of the morning cleaning the kitchen - from the grooves of the gasket of the mixer jars to the back of the cupboards !!

Then cleaning, readjusting, reorganizing and emptying filled jars and filling the new stock etc.... (Got time after 4 months of students and kids in the house)

So by 2 pm I was knackered and ready to drop !!

And made a super quick pasta for myself and my son! He had also helped me out equally - and was equally hungry!

There was 1 cup milk remaining after using some milk for the pasta, I put it on sim in the back burner while we both finished our lunch !!

My son asked if I could drop him at his friend's house at 4:00 p.m - so I kept my alarm for 3:30 pm and went to bed to relax my aching muscles - aaaah my back !

So did we forget something :)

Yeah, that milk on the back burner - simmering away !

I drifted away to sleep while DS10 drifted away to some games on the computer ! Yeah, no use telling him, his nose was blocked !

And when the alarm and a milky smell wafting to my bedroom woke me up at 3:30 pm - I rushed to switch off the stove!

Didnt have time to think as I had to drop off my son at his friend's place !

By the time I returned after 6:30pm, I got the bright idea to set it with some curd !!!

And I warmed it a bit and used a spoon of curd to set it !!

And today morning I put it in the fridge and we had the yummiest, creamiest treat for lunch today mmmmmmmmm

And I didnt even have to use sugar (then it would have become mishti doi)

Aha Eureka moment - to make tasty food, just forget about it :)

12 people like this.

2. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

interesting :)
    i am religious follower of your thread ...just keep me motivation
    need ur suggestion should i pm you

1 person likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hrastro,
    You are true.Sometimes accidents become incidents and vice versa also are true.
    In those days eeya sombu was used for making rasam,which used to taste yummy. If you forget to keep the vessel down or switch off the gas, there will be neither sombu nor rasam. All would have vanished.Many DIL have been sent out under this pretext.

During my sister's wedding,kesari was in the menu on the previous evening.Sambandhis arrived. Along with melam, the tiffin was being taken to Sambandhis' residence. My shrewd mother felt some strange smell in the kesari.She tasted a spoon. The cook has added sesame oil instead of ghee.
    Luckily they prepared sojji out of a kg of Rava within 15 mts.

The huge volume of kesari made out of sesame oil,was brilliantly converted into sojji appam for dinner and was much relished by all.My mother was the brain behind it.
    My Amma used to give lot of brilliant suggestions for repair works, solidification, dilution, consolidation etc etc.
    Kitchen means accidents-convertible into unforgettable events.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jayasala 42

7 people like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Sure, @adinil do pm me :)

5. Newbie87

Newbie87 Bronze IL'ite

@hrastro- wow, that sounded delicious! I'm going wide eyed at the possibilities with this kind of super thick curd! ideasmiley

1 person likes this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Wow - really creative idea of converting sesame oil smelling kesari to appams!!

Moms always have a solution - because they are so experienced :) I've seen my mother also repair recombine and restore and make stuff more tastier converting accidents to incidents :)

I was surprised that my idea worked - mainly because I dont usually have solutions for accidents like these :)

Oooh I had to look up eeya chombu - my god, it can melt if left unattended !!
    I think my periamma/peddamma had many of those pots - no wonder her rasams were so tasty :)

Loved your last line - "Kitchen means accidents convertible into unforgettable events" :thumbsup

7. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @hrastro ,

What a lucky person you are! a possible major fire has ended in a tasty 'Eureka Sweet Dish' in the fridge, tongue and tummy!

A very sweet presentation tempting to experiment! Will try:)

1 person likes this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Good narration Hrastro. I once had a sweet dish in one of the Hyd restaurants. They slow cook milk for 8 hrs add jaggery and then add some curd to have it next day. It was awesome. I thought u would end up making theratti paal ( similar to palkova). Glad that nothing worse happened

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear hrastro,

I have heard of mistakes being costly but this seems to be pleasantly tasty accident. Take it easy if you have backache. Don't work too hard.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@hrastro, yummy curd, i am drooling!

I used to have several of these accidents when my kids were babies. I would keep milk on sim and forget about it. By the time I got back to it, it would have reduced to half the quantity. This condensed milk tastes super tasty.

1 person likes this.