1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The other side of being a Chatterbox.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Trupti12, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Far too many times and from far too many people, I have heard this local phrase directed at me: "If you had a wooden mouth, it would have broken a long time ago". Yes, I am that chatty sometimes. Well all right, most of the times.

I am one of those people who doesn't let uncomfortable silences exist near them because of the cheery (sometimes, deep and philosophical) talks I fill them with. My ability to incessantly talk about a myriad of topics is congenital; I inherit this seemingly useful skill from my mother, who, believe it or not, talks more than I do. Now, my mother found a very understanding life partner who puts up with her constant jabber. At the same time, he cherishes the fact that age-related hearing loss is hereditary in his family. Hmm... Lucky their marriage is such a win-win for them. I can only cross my fingers and hope I am half as lucky! But I digress.

I have faced many reprimands for my infinite babbling capabilities. That is my one character trait even my distant acquaintances recognise me by. This struck me when I was on a flight to India and a guy from London was my co-passenger sitting beside me. I was travelling alone. So naturally, I struck up a conversation with him. Halfway through the flight though, he was telling me how he always had difficulty in making friends. I said I never seemed to face such a hurdle ever and his response was, "Yeah, you are quite chatty."

Quite chatty? We were only an hour into the flight and he already deduced that I am quite chatty?! I sank into retrospection then, thinking back on how much I had actually spoken on the flight. By god, it was far less than how much I talk around people I know! And I had already come across as quite chatty to the London School of Economics snob sitting beside me.

I never resolved to change that about me, though. I never do the inane jabber thing; I try not to talk about meaningless topics. It is just that we read and see so many interesting things, it is very satisfactory to share them with someone.

Believe me when I say, this little quirk about me has brought me a long way in life. I have been able to get by quite a few things and then some, because of this ability of mine. Needless to say, it has also been very instrumental in getting me out of sticky situations as well. I have also been able to persuade the occasional shy speaker out of their cocoon and get them to open up. I have my mother to thank for giving me what I consider is a very powerful gift.

There are times, though, when I am quieter than usual. The moment some of my friends discover a marked drop in the number of words I use per minute, they spring on me, saying, "What's wrong? Is everything all right? Why are you so quiet?" That, with a tone reserved for speaking to someone on their deathbed. My riding buddy to and from my office gets alarmed every time I fall silent while sitting pillion behind him. It is an occupational hazard of talking all the time that people expect you to do exactly that - talk all the time! Well, it is not possible, is it?

I like companionable silence sometimes and hardly anyone gets that. As much as I enjoy having great conversations, I also like sitting or walking with someone without having the urgent need to have words spoken. When I am tuned into some thoughts or tired with the day's work and not want to talk for some time, I am damned well allowed that!

I do come around after a while though. Quite like how the Dursleys failed to quash the magic out of Harry, nothing can repress the sprightly and chatty side of me. I will always remain sunnyside up and would love to exchange stories. Would like to tell me one of your's?

19 people like this.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Lovely write-up Trupti!

You not only have the gift of gab, but also the talent to write engagingly interspersed with a healthy dose of humor and a seeming self-deprecation.

I enjoyed reading your snippet.

I am at the other end of the radar but I truly appreciate those who can go on and on. My mom like yours, is one of those ladies born with this gift.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Dear Butterflyice,

Thank you so much for your words. I'm glad you enjoyed my snippet. Gabfests like me and your mother need people like you from the other side of the radar to listen to us go on and on! It's the perfect pairing.

1 person likes this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Good one but unfortunately I am not like you. I think at least 10-15 times before approaching a person or to start a conversation. Even a good morning from me is reserved for only a few people. Could not change yet but yeah i am improving a lot now...........

5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Trupti12 ,

Welcome to IL family.

I am impressed by your open, and bold write up on yourself. The people who are open, who have light hearts, who love world and life, who are positive, are the ones who do not like the 'embarrassing silence' and try to fill up and communicate openly.
    Of course, this is not to appreciate those who enjoy non stop gossip on others.

That guy in the plane was quite rude. Yes, there are some people who can't be open, can't make he surrounding's lively and put off those who do by just dubbing as 'chatty'. Such people are negative introverts.

Be what you are and share all your positive experiences with others without any inhibition. That way you bring cheers to others.

3 people like this.
  6. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Hello Vani,

It is not unfortunate you are not like me. Introverts have their own beautiful personalities. I'm glad to hear that you are improving on speaking to people. Usually, all that is needed is a good morning or hello from you, and the person you will be speaking to will pick up the conversation.

7. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Dear Suryakala,

Thank you for welcoming me, I'm really glad I'm here. The guy on the flight actually redeemed himself later by being quite nice to me and surprisingly he is still in touch with Chatty Me! :) I will continue sharing all the little positive experiences I go through!

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Trupti,
    Welcome to the IL family. It is nice of you being so much open minded a woman of free expressions.In my experience in 70 years many girls who are so outspoken in early years become totally reserved after sometime.The reasons seem to be that after a lapse of few years they are being discarded and fear that they reveal more about themselves unknowingly giving room for unnecessary comments costing more on their own privacy. They are also likely to hurt others by their unwarranted, though unintentional remarks resulting in avoidable misunderstanding and disharmony
    In the present world of development of communications, conversation skills are very important.Conversation is never an one sided affair. It amounts to two thirds of listening and one third of speaking, as we are gifted with two ears and one mouth.
    My parents used to say that speaking should never be likened to opening of large tap with full force, but like a regular stream of water which is less noisy and more beneficial to everyone.
    As one becomes matured , normal tendency is to speak less and listen more, unless one's profession is marketing/teaching.Even people who participate in debates and discussions ,become restrictive while talking to friends/relatives.

I am sorry if I hold different views in this regard.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  9. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

Hi Jayasala,

I agree with your point that one of the most important points about a good conversation is the ability to listen. Whenever I hold conversations, I respect the other person's views and always listen to them and let them finish speaking before I begin.

Listening is a very important skill which is values across all professions. But some people have a natural tendency to initiate and carry-forward conversations because of their extrovert personality.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello Trupti,

Welcome to IL and snippets! Trupti is a lovely name and looks like you have trupti (Satisfaction) with your lot in life! Now, not letting embarrassing silence bother you is a great attitude and I appreciate it much as I too subscribe to the same!

At times, especially when you are somewhat new to a group of people, conversation does not flow smoothly or flow at all! Also, a couple of people who know each other tend to ignore you totally while they carry on with their exchange of words. That is when I brave up and not minding the gooseberry act will add my two cents to the conversation, whether liked or not!! Before the silence hits me, I am making an interesting talk (at least interesting to me!!) and flash a smile here and there. Sooner or later, they are drawn to the conversation and me enters the group!!

It is a challenge! Like @Jayasala said, to be able to converse is a skill that is desired in the present day's working world or even the world. At the same time, that does not make one a chatter box! It only goes to show that we are gregarious by nature and mean well. Its another thing if a non-stop chatter tends to cause headaches to another person. But then, we are Not like that, are we Trupti? :rotfl

L, Kamla

2 people like this.