1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Negative attachments!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]I wake up, not earlier than my usual time. Today I want to sleep in, and then again, I want to be up as well. Week after week running the mileage of a half marathon is no fun, at least all the time. Most days I do want to run but the little jitters, the nervousness is always there no matter what. That is the thing with this running - it never lets you take it for granted. Haven't I heard enough stories? Just thinking of the miles makes me want to go hide under the covers. Yet I want to run. But I want 'to be up' takes over as soon as I spot that moon in the window. It is full moon and I can feel the soft glow in the entire room. I remember then suddenly that there is an eclipse. I am all excited as I forget the softness of the moon light, the orange moon, the miles I need to cover, my want to sleep in. All I want is to be up and ready. It is one of those days I know will turn into a regret if I sleep in. The regret of 'not doing' has happened so many times that I now no longer want to take chances with that. And how amazing would that be to follow the eclipse as I drive down to meet my running group.

I rush downstairs, make my cup of tea and sit with a book. I open a random page and this is what I read -

I looked at the wisp of a thing, and it looked back at me. I thought it gone, thought an empty place where it was, poured visions of heat rays up at it, asked it to reappear somewhere else and slowly slowly in one minute, in five, in seven, then at last was gone. Other clouds got bigger, mine went away.

“You are not very fast, are you?”. He said.

“That was my first time! I’m just beginning! Up against the impossible….well the improbable, and all you can think to say is I’m not very fast. That was brilliant and you know it!”

“Amazing. You were so attached to it, and still it disappeared for you.”

“Attached! I was whocking that cloud with everything I had! Fireballs, laser beams, a vacuum cleaner a block high….”

“Negative attachments, Richard. If you really want to remove a cloud from your life, you do not make a big production out of it, you just relax and remove it from your thinking. That’s all there is to it!

Whoa!! That is an entirely new spin for me. How many times have I not read this book? Yes, it is the same old Illusions. How many times have I not wondered looking at the clouds playing with them like the way Richard and Shimoda do, not making them disappear of course but only seeing their shapes and making stories up, wondering about where the clouds are headed and then remembering again how Bach talks about them. Have I not memorized his quotes? “A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed...It feels an impulsion...this is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reasons and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.” How wonderful it feels just randomly thinking of the book, the quotes as I watch the skies.

And all I see today is not the clouds or the talk about them. The words that stand out glaringly are 'negative attachment', 'big production' asking me to pay attention to them. I reread the entire conversation, taking note of the words again, speaking them out slowly, clearly and loudly. How did I miss this all these years? But then that has been my experience. We receive only when we are ready. Don't we all know that? As I put the book down, put the tea cup away, assemble my necessities ....nutrition blocks, water, a can of sprite, jacket, gloves, cell phone, car keys, two pain relievers in case I need, a banana, peanut butter sandwich.... my mind does not stop chattering in all it's glory talking with Bach! Mr.Bach why did I always assume attachment with stuff, always thinking of the down side of attachment, how to stay detached but never paying attention to the 'negative attachments" or the intensity of attachment to the negative experiences. How did that happen?

As I drive, trust me when I say this I was so super excited that I was scared of myself. That beautiful orange moon going through that eclipse living through it's cycle of 28 days in more or less 3 hours, the thoughts of attachment well more precisely how attached I am to the negative feelings, the excitement of another long run with this new understanding - it was almost like I found a key to a lock I have been looking for. And why not? What he says is so profound isn't it? Just read it again "Negative attachments, Richard. If you really want to remove a cloud from your life, you do not make a big production out of it, you just relax and remove it from your thinking. That’s all there is to it!" As much as I want to say 'yeah right. Easier said than done, the truth is simply that - just remove it from your thinking and that's all there is to it. Just that it is always going to be 'work in progress'. Really! [/justify]​

15 people like this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

You hit the nail on the head. What a thought provoking write-up. Enjoyed every bit of it (without the cup of tea) and yes it is a 'work in progress' for many of us.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you jskls for your words and your feedback :)

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

Your write up reminded me of a story of a doctor prescribing a medicine to a patient with an instruction not to think of "A monkey munching the peanuts". Every time when the patient was getting ready to take the medicine, he thought of what the doctor said and thought about "A monkey munching the peanuts" came to his mind. He was never able to take the medicine during his entire life.

That is the trouble we face with negative attachments, the moment we think of getting rid of them, the stronger the attachment is. The best way to get rid of negative attachments is to engage our mind on positive attachments so that there is no room for negative attachments. As we all know, we energize our thoughts on desires through our own effort and the moment we don't assign that energy to negative attachments, they fade away like summer clouds.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,

Focus on positive attachments or thoughts as Viswamitra said the negative attachments or thoughts would go away on their own. When going for a walk pay attention to the singing beautiful bird or flower or a small kid playing the unclean road or vehicles with big horns or any negative thing would not bother us. It is all focus. Of course it is easy said than done. Mt morning cup of coffee is important to me even if some offers me Amritham!
    Relevant to all of us Sabita what you wrote..... things may be different but core is the same.
    Syamala

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A positive to get rid of a negative attachment SR.

Personally to me I just don't care much about a negative one, more than it's worth - it is worth only up to picking a lesson learnt out of it.

It will surface as the cloud, can't bother about it but blow it away with a wind/mind and don't mind any more of it. If you mind then the cloud gathers and rains negativity.

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,

Just draw a bigger line to make the earlier line small.Negative thoughts can be overcome only by positive thoughts only, as Viswa has suggested. We can never remove darkness anyway but by lighting a lamp.
    Wonderful snippet.makes us introspect a lot.

Jayasala 42

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thankfully V sir, I believe I am a trigger happy person :) Just that when I read those lines, I was startled with the realization that indeed our attachment to negatives is more intense than to the good and what was being told sounded like a magical formula to me. Perhaps I adore Richard Bach way too much that when he speaks everything is magic!

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Syamala! What you say is true and on the days I have not paid attention to the world around me, I know my mind has been else where :)

Such a coffee lover eh? I have not had coffee since my return - I think I had an over dose of it in India :) That makes me wonder too as to what is my favorite and for now looks like as long as I have something warm as soon as I wake up will do.

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    There is no such thing as ‘negative attachments’. All attachments are negative in the sense that they lead us down the path of self destruction. If by your caption you mean attachments that prevent you from achieving what you want to achieve, trust me that is what even your so called ‘positive’ attachments will do too. At least that is what all our ancient gurus have taught us. St.John of the Cross puts it very succinctly, ‘The soul that is attached to anything, however much good there may be in it, will not arrive at the liberty of Divine Union’. The way I look at it, Richard Bach uses the word ‘negative attachment’ to emphasise on the need to remove it from our minds. What he has in mind is all attachment but in communicating his philosophy to his readers, it is easier for him to dress up attachments as negative.

When I read about Richard’s attachment to the cloud, I cannot help thinking of another episode in which the cloud is assigned a role of messenger to take the message of love from a cursed lover to his beloved in Alaka in the Himalayas. This Yaksha does not banish the cloud from his mind but gives it life and pleads with it to perform a superhuman task of traveling across the country! There is no attachment here between the man and the cloud. Only if you get attached to it, the need arises for you to drive it out of your mind. But Kalidasa assigns a greater role to the cloud than merely getting attached to it.

As a frequent Marathon runner, you will know that carrying more weights (attachments of all kinds) is going to make your running more difficult. That applies to our journey through life too!
    Sri

3 people like this.