1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dashavatars of Mahavishnu

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

There is a grand celebration of Rama navami in Ayodhya mandapam , West mambalam chennai, just a few hundred metres away from home.Accidentally I met my senior in college. We were meeting after 55 years.She was in her traditional vaishnavite madisar dress.Now she is the grandma of 8 grandchildren and soon getting promoted as great grandma.

She came home. We had a heartful chat of good old days in Srirangam.The main talk related to the group discussion we had about dasavathar.She used to argue that Darwin took guidance only from Dasavathar to formulate his Theory of Evolution.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica] Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the birds and the bananas, the fishes and the flowers -- all related. Darwin's general theory presumes the development of life from non-life and stresses a purely naturalistic (undirected) "descent with modification". That is, complex creatures evolve from more simplistic ancestors naturally over time. In a nutshell, as random genetic mutations occur within an organism's genetic code, the beneficial mutations are preserved because they aid survival -- a process known as "natural selection." These beneficial mutations are passed on to the next generation. Over time, beneficial mutations accumulate and the result is an entirely different organism (not just a variation of the original, but an entirely different creature).

Religion, Avatars etc depend essentially on 'Faith' and Darwins Theory of Evolution is based on his actual observations. ( pratyaksham)though scientific theories also first originate from hypotheses, later on get so many transformations based on future scientists..

In Shrimat Bhagavatham a reference is made to 24 Avatars, of which sage Narada, Vyasa are also included.
    However taking the ten main Avatars, it is argued that the avataras typically represent the ascent from acquatic creatures to amphibions to mammals leading to semi animal-man ( Narasimha ) Avatar, ( Matsya,koorma, varaha and Narasimha)then to a dwarf human avatar ( Vaman), a jungle dweller, terrific uncontrollable Parasurama to the more civilized Shri Rama and Krishna,Rama being perfect prepared to sacrifice family for protecting Raja Dharma and Krishna being more wise, clever indulging in activities which he considered Dharmic witha motive to win.Looks alright evoutionally?

Somehow the cycle has to end,that is with Kalki Avatar.

True, there are are subtle similarities to suggest Theory of Evolution.But there is a lot of difference between Darwin's Scientific Theory of Evolution and traditional thoughts on Dashavataram.

As per theory of Evolution, there have been only fish, all acquatic creatures and nothing else. In the second stage of evolution there were another set of creatures with some advanced features to prove evolutionary process. We have never come across a human being living at the time with dianossures.

In Matsyavatar we have read that a human king named Satyavrata gave a place to the fish in his palace.That fish grew bigger and bigger to the size of the ocean.

In kurmavatar also we see lot of Devas and asuras while the milk ocean was churned.

Matsya Avatar is reported to have occurred in some part of India, and amrita kalasam came from some non human realm,that is milky ocean.

Coming to Varaha Avatar ,it is very strange.That could not have happened in this earth, since Varaha avatar itself was intended to lift the earth which was submerged into ocean.

Even as per Bagavatha Puranam, Matsya does not seem to be the first Avatar. Other species had been there and just to save the seeds of all those species, Vishnu took the form of fish.

As per theory of Evolution, the previous species lacked certain features and the later species have developed over them, more refined. But all of Vishnu Avatars are great in their own way. In no way matsya Avatar is less significant or inferior to Kurma, and Narasimha is better evolved than varaha.
    Ramaavatar cannot be isolated without monkeys and Rakshasas.

Krishna Avatar cannot be considered superior to Rama Avatar.The choice of which Avatar to take, rests with Almighty who is Omni potent, omnopresent and omniscient.

These 10 Avatars alone have formed a set so that even the less elite could understand and appreciate the Avatara mahimas and not with a view to support the theory of Avatar-Evolution phenomenon, which is of very recent origin.

By going through all the stories connected with all the Avatars we can certainly say that it is not animal exclusive slowly evolved into human order. We find elite sages, rishis, devas, asuras in almost all the avatars making their simultaneous presence.

The age of the Universe as supported by science seems to be different from what is stated in scriptures.
    So we cannot set aside the theories of the great scientist Darwin based on so much of environmental studies and can't come to a conclusion that whatever Darwin has stated has already found a place in our scriptures.
    The simple fish-tortoise-varaha-narasimha leading to Krishna alone does not seem to support the view.

I think we can analyse Darwin's Theory of Evolution separately and appreciate the scientific facts which are very much interesting.We can admire Dasavatars separately as part of our scriptures which form the basis of our Hindu culture and traditional values.,in stead of arguing that the Theory of Evolution itself had a base in our epics.

While we were concluding the topic and turned to kushala prasnam, her grandson,aged 25 ,asked me, "Mami, how can Ramavatar be earlier to Krishna Avatar, based on Evolution,since only cows were early animals and horses came later. Krishna was a cowherd boy tending cows while we learn of Rama of using horses which evolved very late."
    I could not answer him at all in a scientific way.
    But when he asked if we include, Parasurama, Balarama and Buddha as avatars we have to omit an important Avatar. He said with conviction, we may perhaps omit Krishna as an Avatar as he is the essence of all the Avatars. Perhaps he had Jayadeva's Ashtapadi in his mind, in which jayadeva includes all but Krishna.The discussion I had with this American citizen was simply absorbing.
    But I could convince him that there were two Buddhas, one of 1800 B. C. E. who is considered an Avatar of Vishnu.The other Buddha, or Siddharta, about whom we read in history books belongs to a much later period by whom Ashoka was much influenced,--is not an Avatar of Mahavishnu.( But English historians had a great difficulty in reconizing the earler Buddha, I told.)

We were so much absorbed about these discussions during college days, our Sanskrit classes conducted in a thatched shed literally enjoying the fragrance of mud,( mann vasanai) when the first rain drops fell on muddy floor, while we studied about Megha sandesham of kalidasa. How nice it was! My friend was the daughter of a famous kathakalakshepam exponent and she was well versed in topics about epics, puranas and the like.

I go to bed with all these discussions in mind when are to celebrate Rama navami tomorrow. May Lord Rama bless everyone.

Jayasala 42

[/FONT]

2 people like this.
  2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A good read J42.

I do not know much of Darwin and Avathars to be frank.

One observation is Darwin is explaining the theory of evolution up to the human form. Here in the Avathars are we talking the same? If so as in the scriptures in each Avathar, there existed the human form as well. Am I missing something here as ever?

3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Great topic Jaya mam. I don't think that each of the theories - Evolution and Intelligent design are mutually exclusive. I think both work are true and work in unison. I think God provides the means for different species to survive the evolution of the whole world and this includes the evolution of the species as well. At the same time, old species get extinct and newer species get created. Some of these species are totally different from earlier species and are not an evolution of earlier species. I am amazed as to how well today's toddler are comfortable with gadgets such as Iphone, Ipads etc while I still get confused with these devices. This can both be attributable to the evolution theory of Darwin or the God's mechanism of providing means for his species.

You linked the Dasaavatar with the Darwin's theory very beautifully. I believe Darwin's theory is at a micro level with the refinement of the same species which may appear to transform into a different species but these are actually two different species. The Intelligent Design works on a macro level developing the complete eco-system. Just as tablets may seem to be an extension of laptops but it is totally different. Tablet became possible because of other technologies (like wifi, touch screen, motion sensors) that developed independently to make the tablets possible. So it may look like an evolution but it is intelligent design (of Steve Jobs and others).

4. jayasala42

Yes,that is the question I have raised too.As per Darwin human form is the the final evolution. But in Avtars all exist at the same time of each avatar. That is why I said that possibility of Darwin taking the clue from scriptures does not arise and his research work is independent.
    Jayasala 42

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Anthropological studies say Krishna and Balarama together symbolised the pastoral and agrarian societies coexisting. Krishna is the cowherd while Balarama. the plough carrier Haladhara symbolizes the farmer.Historians even claim that the Krishna of Mahabharata is not the same as Gopala Krishna, The lattter was a pastoral god invented by cowherding tribes like Gujjars,Ahirs , Huns and Yadavs who invaced India betwenn 200 BCE and 300 CE, Later he was identified with the ruler of Drawaka.

6. jayasala42

Dear Akanksha,
    A great intellectual response as always from Akanksha.I am amazed at my toddler grandson's capacity to handle I phone,I pad etc, while I struggle."Scientific gadgets may look like evolution,though they are great inventions" as well said by you.
    The theory of evolution as propounded by Darwin was not copied from our scriptures, neither was Darwin a spokes man of Hinduism.
    By virtues of many many experiments Darwin formulated the theory not because of Smt bhagavatham, even assuming he had the knowledge of our scriptures.
    Jayasala 42

7. jayasala42

Dear Balaji,
    I also have studied that Krishna was a cowherd of South India who became popular and that he had no relation whatsoever with Krishna,the king of Dwaraka of Mahabharata,.While the anthropological surveys point out one thing, another is revealed by archeological survey totally unrelated. That is why the date of Ramayana varies from 5000B. C.E to 2000 B. C. E, and that of mahabharata varies from 3300 B, C. E to 1000B. C. E.
    That is why many scholars feel that astronomical details as explained in the epics as confirmed by planetorium software may be conclusive.

Jayasala 42