1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Walking For Fur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I stood frozen as the two huge balls rolled towards me. slowly. Were they huge rocks coming to crush me? But rocks roll down a slope and not on a plain surface. When they came close, I realised that they actually belonged to the species homo sapiens, huge almost round people taking a walk.

It took me time for me to get used to people that round who would give sumo wrestlers a complex. But that is part of the fun in going for a morning walk. I look forward to seeing them. They are a learning experience. They help me remind myself that I should not join their club.

Lot of people walk for exercise, hoping to reduce the waistline, bring down their BP or sugar levels. They walk as if it is a solemn duty. devoid of all enjoyment. But I walk for fun and as a bonus I get to see , the rotund , roly-poly educative experiences.

I don’t know why people dread walks. A friend of mine was told by his doctor to go for a morning walk as part of the routine to bring down his weight. The doctor who happened to be a neighbour of ours told him that he should take three rounds The doctor referred to the colony part but this guy used to take three rounds of a park bench and sit for an hour gasping.

I walk after an hour plus workout in my home gym. That is exercise but walking is fun.. I love to walk alone without companions. Mercifully, neither my wife nor my daughter is not interested in walking. That leaves me free to do some bird watching, not winged birds but PYTs desperately trying to join the size zero sorority, without fearing a flying rolling pin back at home.

Sometimes the bird watching can be heartbreaking like when one of them asks :What is the time uncle” UNCLE/?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Baaaaaaaaaaah!

But there are other attractions too often surreal ones. Once I heard a lot of dogs barking in the park and I found that they were barking at a Digambar Jain muni who was walking briskly surrounded by acolytes in smart track suits, who seemed to be more interested in ensuring that you don’t observe his holiness in his birthday suit than in getting exercise. But the dogs were smart, they singled out the odd man standing (or odd man walking) and protested loudly against someone who broke their monopoly to remain with nary a stitch.

Our holy nudist was not the only godman I encountered in the park, the historic Lodhi Garden near my place. Once I saw a large crowd of morning walkers gathered at a place and when I went there I found a surreal view.

A godman was sitting in mid-air supported (apparently) by only that funny T shaped stick , members of his tribe carry. Around him there was a circle of flowers and a henchman, oops sorry devotee of that guy told the spectators not to cross into the circle so that they are not cursed by the wrathful levitator. Some members of the crowd, obviously educated people in track suits, were looking open- mouthed at him in awe. Obviously, they didn’t watch the programme Breaking the Magtician’s Code on AXN channel. If they had seen the show they would have known how it is done and find in the levitation a reason for levity.

But I never saw or heard of that floating baba after that. Apparently the Great Indian Stick Trick didn’t increase his flock, if he had a flock that was. But the park was a launching pad for quite a few successful babas and babies. One very buxom lady in saffron used to sit on the grass with a handful of followers who sang bhajans to the tune of Bollywood numbers in a way that would have made even Cacafonix plug his ears.

But out dear BL (buxom lady) seems to have prospered.. While surfing channels once, I found her giving a lecture on some religious channel. Later some newspapers even carried full page coloured ad supplements on her. She must have raked in a pretty packet to splurge on ads like that. All this within a span of couple of years. What a meteoric rise! She almost tempted me to renounce the world.

\Not just religious mountebanks but political ones can be seen in the park too, Once I found loudspeakers in the park and the only thing I heard was what sounded like a coughing fit. First I thought something was wrong with the sound system. Then I found Arvind Kejriwal on a pulpit trying to make a point holding a mike.. trying to make a point. And all that was coming out was his trade-mark cough.

Looks like now he has got rid of his cough after a spell of medical treatment. He should be careful now. If he fails to cough, he could seriously damage his image. He could even be mistaken for an impostor.. So a fake coughing fit now and then would do no harm. After all he is in politics which is the art of faking. .

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

I assume you meant "Walking for fun" for I did not see anything about fur or did I miss it? Walking can be for fun as long as we take out the idea that we are exercising. When we visit India, DH and I have this habit of walking ....a lot. A lot of our relatives are perplexed about it. Little do they know that we can enjoy those walks only seasonally. Not that snow has ever deterred me - I have a crazy friend who used to walk at 5 am no matter what. Well, she had to give up, not me no way :) Unlike your walks, ours are mostly filled with bird viewing for real, followed by some bunnies or squirrels or looking for that noisy wood pecker or for that occasional car. We do enjoy it nevertheless and yes walking is fun. I enjoy it thoroughly - after all that is also a chance to get acquainted with neighbors so that we have some socializing when the colder months set in.

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

I walk everyday for an hour too but it is purely for health reasons but I don't do much of workout in home gym as you do. It keeps my heart healthy and control by BP. But my walk is not eventful as yours and I am sure you must be walking at a place that is frequented by all kind of celebrities including politicians and Babas. My walk is confined to my sub-division or at best within our city limit and mostly they are very early in the morning. I enjoy sunrise, real bird sounds, gentle breeze, lush green conservations, etc.

My wife always says that I am up to date on all neighbors as I end up talking to them almost regularly. I am the one who reports about the knee surgery of my neighbor or a new neighbor who is moving into the subdivision which is always associated with a lot of remodeling inside the house.

I am shocked to know that nude Babas are allowed on the streets of Delhi. How can a civilized society and cops protecting the society allow this to happen? Best wishes for entertaining walks, uncle. :)

Viswa

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Boy was that a typo! Anyway I think fur could have made readers more curious than fun.. After all why should one walk for fur? To protect furry creatures from those who covet their fur and life? Or to bring down the price of fur in the market? Walking is fun when you have a keen eye m not just for the PYTs but for everything that happens around you., for the chirping of birds, buttetrflies in the garden flowers blooming and of course people. I hate to talk while I walk and that is why I walk alone. It is more fur sorry fun. But I love to hear people talk.And these people have often provided the fodder for my threads. .

1 person likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, that nude baba comes quite early in the morning to the park. He as I said is a digambar jain muni. You can't force cloths on them and if you do , everyone from politicians to religious leaders will howl murder. I think you don't see walks as fun because you keep chatting with neighbours. But instead walk silently and alone at a park near your place, keep your eyes and ears open. Then you will know what a great fun going for a morning stroll is.

1 person likes this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,

At last got an opportunity to FB on your blog. Politics is not my cup of tea hence was not able to comment on your political satires, though I enjoyed them a lot. This aversion to politics is the result of watching fighting matches on T.V..from 8 to 10 P.M
    Now only glancing the news paper to know what is happening in the country or world.
    Yes, I too like to walk alone. Mind gets silenced for a while. Indira park is the nearest place to us. I just like to watch what everyone is doing? We see umpteen kind of moods, faces,MILs talking about DILs ( I would not go into details) topics they talk, various personalities (physical), groups, laughing clubs, Yoga, medical speeches and what not. That is a lot entertaining and the range is very large.As if walking is not enough many various concoctions they sell outside the park for diabetes, B.P etc etc.
    On seeing the title "Fur" instead of "Fun" I thought it is something about animal protecting group. I guess it is typo...I do it all the time.
    Syamala

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Shyamala anyone watching fighting matches on TV from 8 to 10 is bound to develop an deep rooted aversion for politics besides a severe, chronic headache. Walking alone saves the trouble of having stupid conversation with someone. People nowadays are mostly incapable of intelligent conversation even more so during a walk Talk makes you miss the sights, sounds and smells that we usually absorb then. True walks are also boomtime for many quacks who sell all kinds of medicine for BP, diabetes and even potency outside the park.The first time I ran into a laughter club I jumped in sheer terror. I didn't see those guys but heard fiendish laughter that froze me in my tracks.

8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

B' - So the walking for fur is actually to watch fur-clad birds and it is fun - enjoy watching. Now there is new dimension to walk a furlong to stay healthy :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

GG, it should have been actually been fun and not fur but I accept your rationale on fur.If a PYT goes for a walk she would improve the health of at least quite a few people walking in the part. She would rejuvenate them.

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, I don't need to re-iterate my aversion to solo walks. There was certainly a time when I used to enjoy those and enjoy them solo the way you do.

I also agree with Sabitha, even today, I would give anything to go for loooooooong walks solo or with company anywhere where we don't have crowds, a lot of woods and of course birds (the feathered variety), .....

You certainly seem to have a Hyde park parallel in Delhi. It would be nice if they also introduced a real "speaker's corner" there in the truest sense of democracy. But I don't think our politicos or babas are mature enough to enjoy what is dished out.

2 people like this.