1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

India’s Daughter, : To air or to despair!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AmritaB, Mar 6, 2015.

1. AmritaB

AmritaB Senior IL'ite

For anyone who has been living under a rock for the past 26 months, this article holds
    no significance!

Everyone else, welcome to another day in the history of our country where a ruckus over the release of the BBC documentary, India’s Daughter on YouTube, does not seem to come to an end! No it’s not something new, after all bigger deals have been made over Facebook posts involving some or the other politician. Worst-case scenario people, I might end up going to the slammer for sometime for writing this, after all freedom of expression is but an extinct notion nowadays!

Ok folks so where were we? Yes the documentary. BBC decided to pre-pone the release of their documentary on the Nirbhaya rape case, ‘India’s Daughter’ and released it today instead of the original release date 8[SUP]th[/SUP] of March i.e. International Woman’s day. The release of this video on YouTube has brought out many reactions, the most potent of which is outrage! Yes you heard me right, outrage. Not shame, not guilt, nor even remorse when it comes to the reaction of the government, but just outrage.

Watching Times Now a while back I was shocked at what a woman journalist in Rajasthan had to say about the release of the documentary. Falguni Parekh (I have no idea if I have spelt the name right, not that I really care), states that NCIS and Criminal Minds are better documentaries than the BBC one. Falguni Parekhji, please know there is a thing called Google and you should have checked your facts before opening your mouth, FYI, NCIS and Criminal Minds are far from documentaries, in fact, they are procedural drama shows, look it up! Also if you were trying to make some sort of a joke, nobody got it!

Apparently Anand Narasimhan also seems to think that it was unethical to interview one of the rapists. Anand Narasimhan, are you telling us that what they did was ethical? You are saying that hearing the extent of violence that the rapists had subjected Jyoti to straight from (one of the) horse’s mouth was wrong? Then what of the papers, or even news channels that reported the incident exactly like it happened with all the gory details during the time Nirbhaya/Jyoti was fighting for her life? Wasn’t that unethical?

But all said and done, Anand is any day better than the likes of Mr. Arnab Goswami. Even though he is also of the opinion that releasing the documentary would be ‘unethical’, that in itself is not the only thing that is intolerable about him. Every time I hear Mr. Arnab Goswami speak (read yell), my ears bleed, literally. He is so in love with his voice that even though his show is supposed to be a live debate, to the audience it sounds more like a monologue. Let others speak Arnab!

But what these people said or believe is nothing when compared to what the defense lawyers have to say about the crime.

In the words of the defense lawyer M L Sharma, “A woman is like a flower, if you put that flower in a gutter it is spoilt, if you put that flower in a temple it will be worshipped”. Another instance where this moron has spoken without doing his homework is where he states that she went out with an unknown boy. Check your facts Sharmaji, the guy you say was unknown to her was her friend. Such are our so called educated lawyers nowadays! Goes to show that education can’t really change the mindset of people!

A.P. Singh is no less of an ignorant prick! He says that if a girl needs to go out at night she should do so with only a relative of hers, be it her creepy lecherous uncle or any other relative she might not even be acquainted with instead of someone she trusts! He also goes on to say that if his sister or daughter were known to have pre-marital relations, he would be ‘courageous’ enough to set them on fire in-front of his entire family. Singhji, do explain to us as to where the courage lies in setting your sister/daughter on fire just because you are afraid as to what the society might think! Why do we even need khaap panchayats when we have such douche bags that are nothing more than educated versions of the murderous hordes in so many villages!

You all might be thinking as to why I am not writing anything about Mukesh Singh’s interview here. Simple, everyone already knows what a bastard he is, so what is the point really in writing about someone who is so damaged that one couldn’t even see any shred of remorse during the time he was being interviewed.

Also to all the journos out there who think revealing Nirbhaya’s name in the documentary was an ‘insult’ to her, let me remind you, her name had already been revealed in newspapers and news channels alike! There is nothing wrong with revealing her identity, does not make us see her in any different a light! She is and always will be Nirbhaya for us, the fighter!

6 people like this.

2. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Amrita,
    Wow that is quite a write up and u have summed up the anguish the whole episode has created.
    A documentary meant as an eye opener about the atrocities that Nirbhaya faced has been reduced to whether the airing of the documentary will be ethical or unethical. Why ?????? Does not the whole world know what happened and has not the media discussed it thread bare. And if it was unethical, why did the police give permission to interview that 'animal' in the first place. Why all this hue and cry now???????

Is it becoz we do not want the world to hear these animals and their lawyers, lest they think lowly of us. I just cannot understand why is it that we Indians are not allowed to see this documentary. The whole ruckus about whether to air or not air the said documentary, has sidelined the real issue.