1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Great business idea from a illiterate woman –

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by madhuprabha, Feb 25, 2015.

1. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

I received a video on whatsapp today. The video (just 1.11 mns) is about this woman who sits in front of a temple in Mumbai and sells grass. What’s so great, you might say. Ah! But here’s is the crux of the matter.

This woman comes daily to the temple along with four cows. She ties them in front of the temple and she herself sits in the side and sells grass and cow fodder. People coming to the temple buy the grass and fodder from her and feed her cows.

The grass, the fodder, the cows and the resultant milk and cow dung all belong to this woman. It is a double whammy for her. She actually charges people to do her work. The people pay her to buy her grass and feed her cows.

But don’t fret ladies and gentlemen and even for a moment think that the woman is deceiving the devotees. This is mutual benefit, the woman benefits by the business of grass and cow, and the devotees feel blessed to be feeding the ‘go’ mata. After all trying to find a cow in the Great Mumbai is so difficult.

What a great business idea and that too from a woman who appears to be illiterate. Hats Off to this woman.

As I was seeing the video, I was thinking the woman should apply kumkum and turmeric to the cow and also keep a plate in front of the cows. Now if she starts selling flowers, then the devotees will start buying the flowers also from her, garland the cows, do pranams and also put some money in the plate. Of course she will then have shell out some part of her earning to the temple priest and to whomsoever (in authority) who might object to this business.

Hence, I appeal to any ILite who happens to see this woman in Mumbai to please pass on this idea. A good idea should be passed on and if it is of help to somebody, then we should not delay.

11 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

This is what is happening in front of temples/mutts for so many years.The go shalas are run essentially with the sale of hay and cow dung cakes that are uses in yagnas.
    usually small vendors can study human minds better than MBAs.
    My servant's wife started her business with a loan of Rs 25,ooo/ she received from a bank, bought a xerox machine. As her small house was very near a big school, she had hundreds of children coming to take photo copies.Within 5 years , she could convert her asbestos sheeted roof into a good concrete structure.
    She started selling, pens, pencils, stationery items, and small charts needed by children.
    In summer the schools are closed. She uses the front portion as cool drink outlets and sells fruit juices, coconut water.She sells even 'ice' to customers.
    As her husband works as a peon in the school, he can assess the requirements of children at the beginning of the year.
    Now hundreds of parents are his customers.He collects the documents from nearby houses and delivers at home.During Aadhar linking season he had the best business.

He has another room for rent in which she sells birth day cakes. Children throng the shop on birth days for candies to be distributed to friends.
    Though the lady has studied only upto 5th standard, her ability to grasp and corner the customers without spending a pie on advt is simply amazing.She has employed two poor girls as part time workers who assist her in spiral binding, taking passport photo copies etc.

The brilliant lady without much investment earns a lot and customer flow increases day by day.
    Her works starts at 4 A. M. sharp. She helps her husband for supplying milk to to 100 flats,getting Rs80/ for each litre of milk. At about 5.30 she returns home prepares break fast and lunch for the children, go to the shop at 8 A. M. sharp when a few children wait outside for purchase.

Her husband gets regular orders for taking print outs for question pps for all the classes from a popular school situated some 8Kms away.This bulk order yields permanent income.
    She earns easily around Rs 30,000 per month. She is able to send her children to good schools.Her daughter and son are smart too and help her in planning, storing and labelling to make it easy for mother to supply the customers.

These are MBAs without MBA degrees.

Jayasala 42

21 people like this.
  3. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Good afternoon Jaya Mam
    Hats off to such enterprising and hard working women. Really when i hear such stories or see such persons, I feel very ashamed of myself. Here I am working in a 9-5 job, sometimes satisfied, sometimes grumbling about the pay, the work and what not. It's like a ostrich which buries its head in the sand, oblivious to the world around it.
    Though I have the best of education, opportunities, ideas, I hesitate to take that extra step.

4. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this nice post Madhu. As JS said, we find such innovative ideas from people we least expect. They don't have the opportunities, education, lifestyle we had/have and still they come up with ideas on their own to improve their life. Whereas I am, like you mentioned in the second post, just do the bare minimum I can do with the education and opportunities I had and fretting over everything. But then, even if I think for a century I don't think I will get such ideas. I am more of writing "out of box thinking, strategic planning and such terms in a white board in conference room, see each other's faces for first 10 mins, slurp coffee and chat on non related topics for next 10 mins and come out of the room" person.

1 person likes this.
  5. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hi @chillbreeze - Very well said. But do u know even an

can come up with great ideas. U should just the young startups now-a-days they find a business idea in each and every situation. For ex., u take this zivame.com, it has been started by young IIT enggineer Vidya Nagaraj (i hope i got the name correctly), who would think that lingerie can become such a fast selling item on the net.

6. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Madhu, you made me feel better. Actually when we use to come up with some ideas/solutions in meetings or otherwise and others think its a good one, I am usually pretty surprised because to me it won't feel like a great answer at all. Never mind as long as managers and clients are happy.

7. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Aww @chillbreeze - A person who can philosophize about a fly on the window, is definitely not to be taken lightly.
    Seriously, it is just that sometimes for want of self belief/confidence call what u may, we just don't deliberate on that small idea. There is a saying where it says 'if u want to become successful in life dream an idea, think only about it and act upon it' (not the exact words, but roughly the translated)

1 person likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Haha, that woman must be invited to addressw IIM students on business ideas on How to Creata a win win business situation. The number of gullible is so high in our country that if she spreads rumours about the blessings conferred on devotees by her go mata anjd ascriobes miracles to her bovine it may even turn into a multimillion business.

9. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Very true @Balajee sir.
    Is'nt that what PK is all about.
    But to give due credit to d woman, she did not deceive d people, d people r doing it voluntarily, with full knowledge.

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Madhu dear a nice post and congrats for the nomination. I have also seen those ladies at the temples. Good though they are uneducated they are able to earn doing some good work

1 person likes this.