1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Journey of Motherhood

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Mother is a synonym for optimism. Mother always believes things will be better. There is a great song, coincidentally from

the movie, Mother India - Duniya mein hum aaye hai to jina hi padega

There is a line in that song that was always difficult for me to accept.
    Gum jisne diya hai wohi gum dur karega (The one that inflicted pain will cure it too)

I struggled with that line. Now, I know it is just optimism - again from mother.

Now enroute to my maiden journey of motherhood, I wonder why God made it so difficult for humans to birth a child. Carrying a child for 9 months with all the pain, discomfort, social caring offered by strangers, the bottles of pills, difficulty in sleeping, waking up in the middle of night, frequent trips to the restroom, feeling thirsty, every person in the world giving unsolicitated advice, eating vegges that you don't like, etc. Why? God Why?

So, i started googling and reading how do other species go about with their journey of motherhood.

Monarch Butterfly: The lifespan of these species is only a few weeks. The female lives her life and dies after laying eggs. So the mother does not even get to see her offsprings. During the few weeks of their life span, depending on the weather, some have to travel hundreds of miles to go to another place for the right environment and climate for their offspring to be born and have food. With no midwife or doctor, with just the nature giving them signals, these insects are able to live their own life and put their offsprings in the needed environment for their growth and development and without any expectations from the children, they die after laying eggs.

Humback Whales: These are the monstrous mammals, ranging 50 to 60 feet in length and weighing in tons. The gestation period last for 11 months. During this period, the female travels thousands of miles from northern hemisphere to southern hemisphere. During the travel and the birth of the child, the mother does not eat anything and travels protecting herself from the predators and sea storms. The mother nurses the child and takes care of the child as it grows for 6-8 months. The father doesn't help out with the child rearing. The mother gives birth of the child all by herself, pushing the child out. Again, nature providing the signals for the sequence of events.

Otters: Recently, at a local university, an otter gave birth to a child. The otter rolled herself and was feeling uneasy and finally pulled her baby out with her mouth and then started carrasing. The complete gestation period is 10-11 months with the baby formation happening rapidly in the last 2-3 months. Otters usually delivers two to three kids at a time.

Elephants: The gestation period of elephants is 22-24 months!!:bonk. The mother gives birth to a obviously heavy child on her own.

So what drives the moms of other species to carry heavy babies and fight all olds during a long gestation period. Is it the Optimism, the undeterring faith in Mother Nature or the absense of MILideasmiley

And here we human moms-to-be complain with all the technology and comfort thust open us.

Sharing one of my poems here.

har subah nage paav jo gagri bhare
    jaane maa kyu aisi hoti hai

dur rahkar jo har pal fikra kare
    bachoki khusi se aapna pet bhare

bachoki hasise jiska yovan nikhre
    bachoke liye hi jo jiye mare

hasi se sahe gar ho bachhe bure
    aapni umra jo bacho ke naam kare

ishwar, yam, dev danav jisse dare
    ma ishwar se badi hoti hai
    isliye maa aisi hoti hai

8 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]

We talk much of human motherhood.If we study the life cycle of Penguins, we will be amazed to know of the most responsible dad in the world. A father Emperor penguin withstands the Antarctic cold for 60 days or more to protect his eggs, which he keeps on his feet, covered with a feathered flap. During this entire time he doesn't eat a thing. Most father penguins lose about 25 pounds while they wait for their babies to hatch. Afterward, they feed the chicks a special liquid from their throats, the fluid secreted from the aesophagus When the mother penguins return to care for the young, the fathers go to sea to eat and rest.

Traditional parenting roles are reversed for emperor penguins, which live only on the harsh Antarctic ice. After a female penguin lays an egg during the winter breeding season, she promptly takes off to feed at sea. The job of keeping the precious egg warm falls squarely on the male's shoulders—or feet, to be exact.
    Males stand and protect the egg by balancing them on their feet and covering them with feathered skin known as a brood pouch. During this two-month period, the males eat nothing and are at the mercy of the Antarctic elements. When the female returns with a bellyful of food to regurgitate for the chick, the male heads off for his own feeding session at sea.

In modern days many young fathers take lot of responsibility. But human life entirely differs from animal species.

Thanks Akanksha for sharing.

Jayasala 42

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

3 people like this.
  3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Informative thread and good writing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Akanksha,

It is a very informative post and thank you for making us aware of these facts. The only common thread in every motherhood appears to be their care to ensure the growth and development of the young ones. Isn't amazing that a child's gateway to this word is mother and the Lord has given a gift to a child in the form of a mother to develop, preserve and protect the child's very existence? Otherwise, the child would never get a chance to experience development and growth.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Akanksha1982 ,

The very word, "Mother" brings tears of love in the eyes!

Every motherhood of every species is a wonder!

There are no end to wonders in nature particularly of mother.

The kangaroo's baby (affectionately called Joey by Aussies) is born very very premature, without sight, like a worm crawls into mothers external bag, by natural instinct, lives and grows there for six months before it can see the world for the first time.

The Sea horse female lays its eggs in the pouch of the male after days of courtship dancing.

In our culture we believe mother as the first God in our spiritual journey. It is the mother who introduces the child to the Father who inturn introduces to the Guru who inturn introduces to God, who inturn introduces to the Mother (in the new life). The cycle goes on for the soul till it becomes one with God.

I give below a nice story which I read long back-
    "A baby asked God, the Heavenly Father:
    “They tell me you are sending me to earth tomorrow, but how am I going to live there being so small and helpless?”
    “Your angel will be waiting for you and will take care of you.”
    The child further inquired, “But tell me, here in heaven I don’t have to do anything but sing and smile to be happy.”
    God said, “Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you. In addition, you will feel your angel’s genuine love and warmth, and you will be very happy.”
    Again the child asked, “And how am I going to be able to understand when people talk to me if I don’t know the language?”
    God said, “Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweet words you will ever hear, and with much patience and care. Your angel will lovingly teach you how to speak.”
    “And what am I going to do when I wish to talk to you?”
    God said, “Your guardian angel will place your hands together and will teach you how to pray.”
    “Who will protect me?”
    God said, “Your angel will defend you at all costs, even if it means risking its life.”
    “But I will always be sad because I will not see you anymore.”
    God said, “Your angel will always talk to you about Me and will teach you the way to come back to Me, even though I will always be next to you.”
    At that moment there was much peace in Heaven, but voices from Earth could be heard and the child hurriedly asked, “God, if I am to leave now, please tell me my angel’s name.”
    “You will simply call her, ‘Mom’.”

1 person likes this.
  6. Akanksha1982

@jayasala42 Mam, thank you for your feedback. I didn't know about the Penguins. Lot to learn from Mother Nature.

7. Akanksha1982

Thanks Viswa sir. Yes, a salute to the Creator who thinks and provides appropriate help and tools for living beings to survive and prosper.

8. Akanksha1982

Well said. So beautiful. Thanks for the story. Yeah there is so much to learn from each species.