1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Unsuitable Suit

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Let me confessat the outset that I am no authority on fashion and I never make a fashion statement to the chagrin of my wife.. In fact I am a sloppy dresser.”What will people say at social gatherings?” is the wife’s question. Superfluous one. I never attend social gatherings. I am very allergic to small talk and that is what people do on such occasions. I hate talking about cabbages and kings and whether pigs have wings.

What I wear for more than half the day is a track suit giving the deceptive impression that I am working out 24x7. Just before dinnertime a kurta and pyjama(mostly unpressed) replace it..
    So is it surprising that I watch helplessly gritting my teeth when people make fashion statements? After all I cannot pull my non existent hair on seing such absurdities.

Take Narendra Modi’s latest fashion statement, the pinstripe suit. I am simply at a loss for words.
    What kind of person will have his name embroidered all over the pinstripes? The suit the premier was wearing during US President Barack Obama’s visit screamed NARENDRA DAMODARBHAI MODI at unheard of high decibel levels.

Before Arnab Goswami organised a TV debate about the earth shaking issue of the suit with all those people who appear only in his Newshour debate on Times Now and are not seen elsewhere castigating Modi. for narcissism, let me rush to arm the poor Bharatiya Janata Party spokesman who is bound to be at a loss for words before the TV camera when quizzed about the suit which the participants in the debate are bound to describe as most unsuitable.

The first defense of the suit is Modi suffers from a short term memory loss and often forgets his own name.. The suit reminds others to remind him that the prime minister’s name is Narendra Modi. He probably got the idea from Aamir Khan’s movie Ghajini in which Aamir keeps the name of the baddie he wants to bump off on his body because he cannot remember anything for more than half an hour
    The second justification is the suit was to steer clear of diplomatic gaffes and save Obama from avoidable embarrassment. There is a chance that the US president who keeps interacting with world leaders may not remember the names of all of them and tends to forget them at the wrong moment.. Remember how many faces could turn red if Obama addresses Modi as Mr,Whaddyacallim? By getting his name embossed all over his pinstripes Modi, ensured that Obama remembered his name just by looking at the suit..

Defense number three is Modi is a chivalrous man. He didn’t want too much media attention on Michelle Obama and wanted to ensure the first lady’s privacy by turning the public attention on himself by playing the fashion icon, something for which Michelle is very well known. With all these points BJP spokesperson can easily K.O. Arnab and hiis ilk.

Modi ior no Modi you got to admit that Pinstripe suits screaming out the name of the owner have very little chance of getting lost at the laundry.and can be easily traced. No one would dare to steal it and appear in public in it as it would loudly proclaim that he is you. Many laundry guys have the unfortunate habit of renting out laundered suits before returning them to the owner. With these pinstripes they would think more than twice about it.

This idea should be carried over to other pieces of attire too.T-shirts should have a logo with the owner’s name and the name should be embossed on jeans, shoes and socks. That would save us a lot of trouble.. To protect their expensive silk saris from being stolen women can have zari embroideries with their name. Even thread work can loudly proclaim the owner’s identity.
    Modi, always a pathbreaker has shown the people who lose their clothes and shoes how not to let them fall into wrong hands.. It is for us to follow him.

[HR][/HR]

15 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Balajee,

A delightful read especially the justifications! When a man like Modi comes with such hype, I think this could be one way of him letting down his people gently with a "I am not that different after all"! I am just guessing. What a contrast from his earlier attire that even Obama noticed and mentioned that he wanted wear a Modi Kurti or some such thing. I was shocked when I read that the suit's cost was placed somewhere between 5 - 8 lakhs, though one of the many pictures floating around internet had this as caption "The price of the suit is debatable and remains hidden under the self-obsession act 26th January 2015." and what shocked me even more was when I read the inspiration may have been Hosni Mubarak, the only (I think) other world leader who had a similar suit! A few of my friends were defending Modi as to how really he is not in charge of his ward robe and stuff like that but now thanks to you, I can give them better reasons for justifications :)

I could not help but apply the old Sanskrit saying "Vastram Purusha lakshnam" - clothing defines a man, loosely translated. I should not be judgmental but I am left wondering. We can only hope that his promised reforms will outshine this gaffe(?) and speak more about him.

2 people like this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji, HAHA. u know what. we were 4 brothers, with similar undies, those cheapie ones int he sixties, when we could not afford thebranded ones we had the striped ones, theones the prisioners wear in hindi movies. so mom had our names on each chaddi, like K for kamal and p for prakash, and i guess modi copied that idea from my family and got his name on the suit.HAHA.superb one balaji.

2 people like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha I think Modi is madly in love with himself. I won't be surprised if he wears vests, and briefs embossed with his name.

2 people like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji if your mother had patented the idea, she would be getting fat royalties from Modi now..

6. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Balajee,

Just today my friend mentioned that the suit worn my our PM costed 10L...well not sure of source of information but was taken back yes....looks like the PM is making statements in all walks of life...wonder what's next :)

Enjoyed reading your post....

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Scorpio may be he will have his name tattooed all over his body and appear before the public in that state.

1 person likes this.
  8. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

Modi's suit idea was copied from Egyptian ex-president Hosni Mubarak. You can google this. I think his designers messed up.

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,Thoroughly enjoyed your post. I think you got better ideas to defend Modi than BJP spokesperson in Arnab's programme. Hence you get in touch with BJP and put forth your defending ideas as soon as TOI announces the topic of the debate in advance. They can outwit Arnab's if they get a chance to talk without his interference.PS

10. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Enjoyed reading this :) I was wondering if / when someone will write about this.
    10 lakh or 50, the suit was an embarrasment.

But then, Modi thought, if Obama can have fake greek columns, why can't he show up some self- aggrandizing suit.