1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Year resolutions?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]Now? Why, why, why? I know some of you have made them and some of you have might have even broken them, already! No, no I am not a pessimist – if anything I am an optimist, an eternal one at that. If you have broken them, you have found a friend in me and if you are still going strong, you still have a friend cheering for you! Resolutions - making them, talking about them and reading about theme is what is happening in our household, as January is just about getting ready to wind up. My only resolution is not to make any resolution. Hey, but I never said I will not talk about it or hear about it. So, I am reading this article in the news paper, yes the very good old news paper that we hold in the hand spread out glancing all over for that catchy article while sipping hot coffee. There are some things I do not give up like reading a news paper or drinking coffee in a steel glass or sitting down cross legged (smirking at the criss cross apple sauce term that is endearingly used these days) with my dinner plate on the floor. Anyways, coming back to the paper I am reading about gyms, resolutions, what works and what does not. If anyone asked my opinion I would confidently say that I am not sure about resolutions but working out always works. But who wants my opinion?

At the beginning of the year I for one, skipped all the resolution work outs, the resolution runs, the resolution yoga classes that the gym, my running group and my yoga studio threw at me. And that's another thing, the news papers - I read the paper I am done with the subject I am interested in but I read the same on the net, I am tempted with a link that takes me to a related article to a related article and to another. Oh come on, at that rate who has time for working on that one resolution if all one does is sit in front of the computer surfing and surfing more. Hey! right there "To read only that one article that matters" could be my New Year resolution, couldn't it? Anyways, coming back to all those first day of the year resolutions thrown at me, how could I take up any of them when I clearly know that what I start like ‘that’ will only last so long and not more and then add to that I had that late night "Let's welcome the New Year" party with friends. Think of keeping any of those resolutions, I know I will have to say good night pretty early and I do know that I have that whole year to run, to do yoga and to work out, but I only have that night when a good group of friends really come together. So what else can I do than to skip all the resolution related activities.

Going back to that morning with the news paper, just as I put the paper down, my DH walks in, seats himself on the sofa untying his shoe lace and goes with a "I think I have come up with 6 resolutions for this year!" Yes, you heard me right. I look up at the ceiling, imaging the sky, roll my eyes and go in my mind "Really Universe!! Again your sense of humor at play?" but pretend like I am most interested in what my DH is talking about. If you thought I was the only one cuckoo, you have it wrong. How can birds of different feathers flock together tell me? Just the intensity of 'cuckoo-ness' varies. The news paper has validated some of my misgivings about resolutions, at least about exercise and gym memberships and I challenge my DH to roll out the six he has come up with, not the six packs but the resolutions! Thinking hard, he makes up four and gets up with a "The fifth resolution is to find the next two resolutions!" Now you see what I am talking about. That should make seven no?

The resolution saga continues as my dd comes home chirpily with her list of resolutions. It is exactly like what they say - if you want to buy a red car, suddenly all you see is red cars and more red cars on the road. Where were they before you wanted it and now everyone seems to have only a red car. All I did was pick up one news paper article on resolutions and I get to hear about it for the next two days. But I cannot disappoint my DD. What little ones have to share always interests me and I take the sheet to read and with a smile mark off the first 3 or 4 as "expected" resolutions from her. If you are wondering what they are, it included stuff like "eat more vegetables" "eat less candy". I think those were the ones that were given as examples by the teacher and it looks like she has caught on the idea only by the fourth or so resolution when they get personal to her and I am all smiles and very interested now. As I scroll down, I screech to a halt and that smile has turned into a frown on my face as her last but one resolution said "Have more pashens with mom!" The mom in me would have hung on to the wrong spelling of the word 'patience' if that sentence hadn't taken me by surprise. Needless to say the ensuing conversation between this very patient, nah impatient mom and that child was very interesting and animated as i figured out my flaws that are driving her wanting to be more patient with me! These days when she thinks I am doing something that does not fit in with her sense of what is right and should be right and drive her nuts, she winds up with a "Don't make me repeat 'that talk' again to you, missy!" with a naughty smile.

Finally resolutions do seem to make sense to me after all, more so when I look beyond my world of what I want to accomplish and look around with love what my little world wants from me![/justify]

4 people like this.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

@Srama, what a wonderful and interesting narration. Yes, we become part of the resolutions of near and dear ones even though we don't have one. Personally, both of us are not into resolutions. We take the life as it comes and deal with the moment. This way there is no guilt, surprises or expectations of ourselves. Just love to enjoy and live in the moment. - Kya pata kal ho na ho? (who knows if there be tomorrow or not?)

2 people like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Yes, many times we look for expectations from others and if they are not up to the mark we feel frustrated. But how many times we introspect if we are up to the mark in eyes of others? More often not!
    I stopped making resolutions....just take life as it comes.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

Good one. So u alread broke yr resolutions within a month, and there aer 9 more months to go eh !

Well i used to make , like giving up smoking etc, but could not do it. Well now it is 3 years to ciggies and 2 years to liquor. With or without new year ones, circumstances make u do things that u dont want to do.

Now i have decided to go for a walk in the evenings, for half an hour, and since the last 10 days or so, i ahve been successful, and this has nothing to do with a resolution.HAHA

i eralize that as i am growign old, i have crossed 60, that my bones need to be oiled and serviced, and that i must be able to move around on my own, for that i need to walk, even if i dont lose weight.

i guess some things come to u naturally, without the docs prodding u, i see people younger than me wioth walkign sticks and that scares the hell out of me.

So stay healthy, and dont feel guilty if u read the paper or drink the coffee in stell glass, both are great things to do.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  5. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Hi , i see that your name is sabitha , so from now my resolution is to call you sabitha and not srama :)
    jokes aside , for me the beauty of new year resolutions always lies in being able to start each new year with the motivation and hope of achievement .
    It allows us to feel that all is not lost , we still have another chance.

2 people like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Nice read Sabitha!
    Adding one more red car....
    Every night I resolve to get up at 4 and practice my music. Invariably I get up at 5:23 and rush to get all other work done.
    You mentioned breaking resolutions within a month into the new year.
    I make and break resolutions every 24 hours!
    But resolutions give me hope. When the day comes I really keep it I'll post my success story here:)

2 people like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha resolutions, particulrly the new Year ones are meant to ber broken. Let us swim in the river of life with the current. Resolutions are made by people who don't anticipate in which direction and with what force the current flows. The very idea of resolution shows an element of arrogance and the confidence that the current will flow the way you want. And we cannot live according to what the world wants from us.

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

I have only one resolution for each year i.e. to spend the time in a spiritual setting every year when the new year starts chanting the name of God or singing bhajans. I have followed this practice for many years and continue to do so every year.

Many times, I sit down and think what is that I have accomplished through this resolution? I will face what we are destined to face every year and why I am inclined to spend those four hours every year until Midnight on December 31st to break the new year with the name of the Lord in my mouth? Am I hoping that if I start the year with the chants and bhajans, I will be motivated to do more of the same throughout the year? Am I expecting the year to be brighter and better if I start the year with devotion?

After deep thinking, I came to the conclusion that it is nothing but making my mind to be disciplined at least for a few hours when the year starts. I realized that I have to dedicate those hours thinking about the Lord with devotion with no expectation for the rest of the year. I have to begin to believe that those few hours of devotion would give me strength to face any adverse situation throughout the year. It should give me discipline to approach business or personal relationships/friendship with utmost care and diligence. It would keep me humble throughout the year. I also realized that if I think the year would be one of the best if I start it with prayers, it is a wrong expectation as it would be what it is meant to be. That realization came after many years of practicing this discipline.

Eventually, one other thought that came to my mind. What difference does it make whether it is a new year day or any other day? Every day is a beginning of the rest of my life and I can make resolution any day and as long as I have the will power to obey it. What is so magical about the new year eve?

If I can discipline my mind and senses every day, if I can put a ceiling on my desires, if I learn to practice detachment knowing that everything is a gift of the Lord and can be taken away at any time, if I learn to practice equanimity to consider pleasure and pain the same way, If I do my duties skillfully, selflessly and lovingly everyday, if I learn from my experiences every day, there is no need for any new resolutions.

If one decides to introspect everyday to find answers to the list of things in the previous paragraph, that is the only resolution required.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saby......

Resolution....Yes, I do know the meaning of the word. Apart from it, I don't know much!!

I do make resolutions to not hurt anyone, to not say words that I can't take back and to entertain good thoughts! But, this is a resolution made for myself and is not year, month or week bound!

I note you too are not making resolutions in that sense! Going by your own words, you cannot keep the New Year resolutions for long! Is that not the case with most people? Hence the saying 'new year resolutions are made to break'!! But, when you make resolutions to please your loved ones, that is something you will bend over backwards to keep! As that stems from the heart and not mind, it is impossible to break even by the person who makes them! I do hope for your little princess's sake, you will become more pashent with her!;-) Don't underestimate it! I know how hard it is to keep such resolutions especially when you rea anxiously waiting to complete a task at hand and the little one wishes you paint the picture along with her to the end! I know! My granddaughter got a weaving thing gifted for Christmas and she insisted on my weaving a scarf along with her...Me! Who has five thumbs! :shock:

However, I loved your husband's resolutions the Best. Especially the last two...or was it three!! :rotfl

Wish I could just sit and type off a snippet as interesting as this just to keep me entertained Saby...but then, I have no magic in my finger tips nor my head!

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Akansha for your words and feedback. I think that is what most of us do - take life as it comes and deal with the moment. Nothing wrong with it.