1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indian American

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Indian American

Today I read with great interest this article of Bobby Jindal

We came to US to become Americans not Indian-Americans: Bobby Jindal - The Times of India

He is at present the Governor of Louisiana, And may be the next presidential canditiate in the coming American Elections. He was born in America, his parents migrated from india in the sixties. He says, that please don’t call me Indian, I am an American. Well in a way he is correct, he was born in America,studied and married there, so he is an American.

He says, my parents came here to be Americans, so please don’t call me PIO, that is person of Indian origin, I am an American , period.

When he became Governor, I remember the Indian press going gaga over him, that an Indian has become a Governor. But we do not realize , that if these chaps were asked to choose between America and India, their loyalties lie with America. Same was the case with Kalpana Chawla, who died in the spacecraft a decade ago, Sunita Williams, who too went in a spacecraft.Then we have another Indian called preet barara, who prosecuted That Indian lady diplomat, who did not pay her maid the American wages, and she was treated roughly.

All these so called Americans, want to prove that they are more American than the other Americans, and when the time comes, they are pretty rough if a fellow Indian comes before them. Preet prosecuted that lady so badly. In fact he went beyond his duty so to say. He did not realize that crimes are of many kinds, u cannot have the same punishment for killing a fly, as for killing a human being. She had just killed a fly.Did he know that the Americans in the American Embassy in india, don’t pay the wages to the workers, as per American standards ? That they too can be prosecuted ?

Does Jindal not have relatives in India ? Does America have more freedom as he says ? Does he not know why people go to America ? They go to earn their living, they got more there, than they would get here. At least that was in the past. As soon as they get there, their ascents change, pants become trousers, coat becomes a jacket, purse a wallet and so on. And yes Z becomes a Zee.HAHA

And names change, prakash becomes peter, kamal becomes Ken, and so on. But when an American comes to india, does a American with the name John becomes Jaspal , Carpenter becomes Chandru ?No ? Why ? because they are proud of their names, then why are we not proud of our names, they too can learn to twist their tongues to call us by our natural names .

If a person is financially comfortable here, with a decent business or job, he would not go to the states. But when u need money, more money , and u see it there, u go there. So many Indian yearn to come back to india, but the incomes they get hold them back. And they fear the kids will grow up as Americans, with fast food and following that culture.

The way Jindal spoke, it seemed he was ashamed that his parents were from india, and that he looks Indian. I am sure that if he had his way, he would erase all things associated with india.

I ask u all, what is wrong in being an Indian. I feel very proud, this is a great country. What is it that America has tolday , that we don’t have. We have the burgers, the pizzas, the coffee chains, thebig hotels, u name it all are vieing to come to india.

Now I will tell u, what india has that America does not know and will never have , EVER. Yes that is in capital because these are the things they can never have.And maybe they are jelous of us.

1. Maids facility- even a middle class one member earning family has two maids, one for dusting, clothes, one for cleaning floors etc. And maybe a cook , partime or full time.
    2. I have a full time maid working for me, she cooks all the 3 meals, and gives us what we want, she knows us inside out, as also all our guests who come, it is a real luxury for my wife to not enter the kitchen. Is that not a luxry, those ladies reading my blog in America, don’t they envy me, for whatever dollros they earn, this is something they wont et there.
    3. Drivers are so common here. I don’t see even a millionaire having a driver there.i doubt if even Jindal can afford a driver in America.
    4. Our cars are cleaned everyday by the driver or the guy who charges 300 or so per month.
    5. Gardener for the lawns of bunglows. I pay 500 a month to my gardener, and it is spic and span.
    6. Temples in every nook and corner for the elderly who can take an auto and go by themselves. There the elderly Asians are ver lonely and dependent on their kids to take them here or there.

1. Elderly socialize in the evenings in multi story buildings by meeting in the building compounds, sitting on chairs, and there are so many in my mothers building in Mumbai, around two dozen ladies, chatting away in the evenings, exchanging gossip or whatever.
    2. Grocery comes to us at home, we just call the guy he delivers at home, same with vegetables and fruit handcarts they come everyday, fresh and buy as much or as little as u want.

Let jindal come down from his ivory tower and meet me, and I will give him gyan. God knows in which world he lives in.

But yes so many bloggers that I interact with who stay abroad,some names that come to mind, like Mindi, Vishwa, Kamla,SRama, and many others, most if not all, have their heads on their shoulders, they keep coming to india, they are not ashamed of their Indian roots, and they are very level headed , and I am very proud of them , specially now, after reading what the Jindal types have to say.

Be proud of india, friends, there is not other country in the world half as good. We have the best democracy, u can pee on any wall, spit anywhere, if ur kid happens to kill by accident someone by car, as Salman khan did, u will get away , but at a price, the car changes to a truck, the witnesses change their statements, and all is well, just a little wealth goes from this chap to that chap.

Try to escape punishment in America from a car accident , god forbid if u kill someone on the roads, u will be on the road to penury, and behind bars for god knows when. Then u will remember, if this had happened in india, Ah my lawyers would be fighting, I would be out having a great time.You can get away here, there u cant.

I love my india, not that I want to kill anyone.HAHA

KAMAL MAHTANI

Santa buys a Tempo in wife's name & paints her name on it innocently
    , Wife reads, slaps and divorces him.

Because he Painted-:
    SATWINDER KAUR
    FOR HIRE
    FULL DAY Rs 2000
    NIGHT CHARGES EXTRA

Upvas in new Style
    Living 1 day without:
    -Mobile
    -Facebook
    -Internet
    -Whatsapp
    -Tv
    Ye Upvas kar ke dekho
    Bhagwan Dharti par aake kahege,
    Bas kar Pagle  ab Rulayega kya..!!

7 Little Truths
    ( litmus tests in life )

1st
    Don't let someone become a priority in your life, when you are just an option in their life. Relationships work best when they are balanced..

2nd
    Never explain yourself to anyone. Because the person who likes you doesn't need it and the person who doesn't like you won't believe it..

3rd
    When you keep saying you are busy, then you are never free.When you keep saying you have no time, then you will never have time. When you keep saying that you will do it tomorrow, then your tomorrow will never come..

4th
    When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or wake up and chase those dreams.
    Choice is yours..

5th
    We make them cry who care for us. We cry for those who never care for us. And we care for those who will never cry for us.This is the truth of life, it's strange but true. Once you realize this, it's never too late to change..

6th
    Don't make promises when you are in joy. Don't reply when you are sad.
    Don't take decision when you are angry.Think twice, act once..

7th
    Time is like river. You can't touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again

19 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Could Bobby Jindal possibly become the American President? Are you kidding me? He has to axe his grind for many more years until all his hair turns grey even to become a presidential nominee for the Republican party. There are many Indian Americans hold significant positions in Obama Administration and many others are becoming congressmen or governor. There are many Indian Americans who enjoy a lot of respect in the US holding positions as CEO, Prosecutors, Surgeon General, Governor, Senator, Representative, etc. But to get to #1 position is difficult and it would take many more years before a Person of Indian Origin becomes the President.

When foreigners become citizens of the United States, they are expected to take Oath of Allegiance to express their loyalty to the United States renouncing the citizenship and loyalty to their mother country. For example, if a Syrian or Iraqi or Pakistani becomes an American citizen, he should not bear arms to fight the American Army. The relationship between India and the US is one of partners and there is no possibility of these two countries to be at war with each other.

However, nothing prohibits an American citizen to express love for their mother country and practically it is impossible for anyone of us to cut our ties to our mother country. At the same time, we have respect for the adopted country as it has embraced us, given us a lot of opportunity to grow personally, educated our children and treated us well. I am very proud of my Indian heritage, Yoga, Meditation, Spirituality, Family Values, Culture, Art, etc. I am ready to adapt to the needs of my adopted country but I have the right to love my mother country's heritage and practice them.

Bobby Jindal is probably making that statement to overcome the huddle of being a person of Indian Origin to gain political mileage by saying that he is an American and not an Indian American. I have no reason to say so. I am proud to be called an Indian American as I have so much respect for my mother country. Moreover, I live in a country that was awe struck with Swamy Vivekananda's speech in Chicago and overwhelmed by the teachings of Paramahamsa Yogananda. Even the civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King proudly said that he learned non-violence from Mahatma Gandhi.

The average income of the Indian American community here in the US is in the highest bracket when compared to immigrants from other nations. The infrastructure in this country is world class and we truly enjoy a comfortable standard of living. At the same time, we have access to all the Indian music, dance, movies, temples, yoga, meditation, etc. without any problem. We actually live in the best of both worlds.

Yes. We live in a country where the law can't be manipulated by the status of the individuals. Corruption exists but it is found and action taken immediately. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. Even politicians and wealthy are no exceptions. But isn't it what Modi's government trying to accomplish?

It is possible to hire a maid or gardener or driver here also but we have to pay a lot more money to hire them as the per capital income of this country is high and there are minimum wages law in this country. Moreover, it is easier to drive or do our own things at home rather than hiring someone. I am sure there are minimum wages law in India as well but who is being prosecuted for violating it? Is it possible for a maid or driver or gardener at home to file a law suit against the house owner?

Viswa

17 people like this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, Great post. He is a politician and will try to say anything that to win. I think he converted to Christian.
    I also feel that some Indians are more critical of their culture and lineage while Chinese, Japanese are much more proud about their culture and lineage. They are shrewd and would never make such statements. I think Bobby Jindal has done more harm than good for himself by making such statements. It unnecessarily draws attention to people that he is different, that he is not american.

I think most Americans are proud of their culture.

Kamalji, Spare us. The luxuries you describe are making us look bad for moving here. thoda rahem karo humpar. hehe.....

Great Jokes Kamalji.

6 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Thank you for your kind words about us Indians who are here yet being Indian - it is a different matter that I am considered more Indian in India by relatives every year I visit. I also very honestly tell my kids that one should be proud of one’s roots. It is like that "Roots to grow and wings to fly" - if we are not strong in who we are, where can go and how far can we go? You have to agree with me Kamalji if I said that no matter where we come from, however poor that country is or however well off, we all have an unspoken or spoken allegiance and fondness for our motherland.

That said, I will be honest, I have not followed Bobby Jindal as much as I would have liked to and have no opinion about him, so far other than knowing of his back ground say form wikipedia just out of curiosity. Very often we come across the use of African Americans, Indian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Chinese Americans and even Native Americans quite easily and in many contexts. Very rarely do we hear of say British Americans, Italian Americans etc used that often. I think in all fairness to Bobby Jindal he has only said that to emphasize not to differentiate but to ask people look at him as an American, just American. Not because he is ashamed of his heritage but solely because of his political ambitions, trying to make a point. It is not easy Kamalji to come up like that especially politically and he knows what lies ahead of him as well if he wishes to continue. I don’t think the electorate is that dumb that it will look at him in a wonderful light if he ever speaks ill of his heritage – he has to balance between the Indians, Americans and Indian Americans and God knows how many others. And most Americans are aware that however American they are, they all come from another place.

We all know Kamalji, that we can take Indians out of India but can we take India out of Indians, tell me? It is like how my doctor every time says that she is always surprised when her colleague is stressed, the word that comes out from her mouth is from her native tongue even though this lady was born and brought up here and is as American as one can get and does not know her language.

11 people like this.
  5. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

Politics aside (and I'm personally not in any way a supporter of Jindal) but I read this article and I didn't find it to be so upsetting.

This is what I saw: Just someone putting a pretty explicit stake in the ground that America is his home and he's American without trying to have any other labels placed upon him (e.g. Indian American) and he does go to say that he doesn't believe in American + anything. Fine, I get that. After you're born and raised in a country, your passports refer to that country alone and not something like American Indian, do they? That label of two countries often implies that one has only recently acquired their citizenship to a different country or has dial citizenship. As for his religious beliefs, who are we to be judging on that anyway? He may have changed his religious beliefs for political gain and he may have not — I've known plenty of former hindus who converted to Christianity without anything to gain. Either way, why should one be deprived of not choosing their own religion once they are born into another? Seems like that would be no less superficial than someone changing their religious beliefs for political gain.

Him eliminating any other labels attached to him was not out of any sort of embarrassment nor is he saying that others should be embarrassed...and only suggests to me that he's not going to be biased to one ethnicity or the other based on the color of his skin or where his parents immigrated from or where his extended family might be from. I don't see an issue with what he's saying or where he's coming from. Doesn't seem like he's been involved with that community much so he doesn't associate with it. Makes sense to me.

As for luxuries. All countries have their pros and cons. India and America are no different. Where you have the luxury of more affordable labor, you have more systematic issues which is often impeded by corruption or well, mentality. Again, not to say that America is completely devoid of corruption, but it doesn't tend to impede in basic system and processes at quite the same frequency. It's a never-ending discussion and one that can get convoluted pretty quickly.

I agree it's great to have help available at hand for daily household chores, cooking, and for you to not worry about any of it. But just personally speaking, I'm proud to be able to do my own dirty work and not be reliant on others...and it provides yet another channel for my DH and I share together. Sure, there are certainly days that we find ourselves exhausted after a full day's work or where time is running tight. That's where we have a few backup options that are good to have in case you need them:

1) For transportation: Uber along with an array of other services that can reliably get me around from point A to point B at the press of a button on my mobile should we choose to not drive around or take public transit. Our city also has a lot of free shuttles available at nearly every other block that takes you to the key places in the city (including shopping and parks) for free.

2) For groceries or other miscellaneous items: Instacart, Google Express, Amazon Fresh and many other same-day grocery delivery services should I fear we won't have time to make it to the grocery store ourselves or I find myself missing an ingredient without the time to go get it — "Oh hey, Instacart. thanks for the 2 hour express delivery!" I also can't say enough good things about the multiple farmshare and farm-co-ops that deliver fresh, organic produce (vegetables and fruits) directly to my doorstep for a pretty low cost.

3) For food: Seamless, DoorDash, Grubhub, Eat24 along with a myriad of restaurants that delivery and tiffin services should we anticipate that we won't have time to cook or if I find myself unable to have the time to pack lunch for my DH.

4) For house cleaning and handyman issues: DH and I manage to keep the home pretty clean with the basics, but we do have cleaning services come by every 2 weeks to do a deep clean to make sure nothing gets neglected and I have to tell them nothing. They are professionals and leave everything spotless. Services like Homejoy, Handy, and many other cleaning professionals are available to come by and clean at the frequency you want and you can schedule it to your liking online. Very easy.

5) For laundry: Many kinds of valet Laundry and Dry Cleaning services are available. We don't really use these as much because we manage it pretty well on our own but every so often, if we're running out of time especially before a trip, we'll use them. There's plenty on the App Store and there's also a Delivery.com site. Some services will even fix up the clothes if they see any tears or loose stitches. They also clean shoes and boots.

6) For massage: On-call masseuse that will drop by your home to give you a relaxing back or leg massage should you be completely wrecked from the day. You simply request it with your mobile phone or online, find a slot and they come to you with their equipment. Easy peasy.

7) For seniors, disabled or those who are sick and need help with meals: Free (or very discounted services) are available for getting rides and meals.

8) There's also free neighborhood-wide wifi that's available around these parts. Sounds like i could be coming to other cities, too.

I can plan, schedule and manage a lot of the services mentioned above remotely should we need it and it's not at a crazy high cost or anything either.

14 people like this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Oh wow!

Kamalji, I thought I'd log in to give you my thoughts on what you have written and also of what Jindal has said! But alas, my friends here...Viswamitra, Srama, HasteRaho and even Akanksha have done such a good job of it that I need not add anything to it anymore!! My hats off to them, wonderful feed backs! Simply enjoyed reading the whole thread.

Kamalji, you can be really atrocious at times!! How can you admire the fact that you can BRIBE and get away from breaking law and hurting others and name it as one of the positives of India? Really Kamalji!! You don't mean it, you just say stuff for the shock value!

I agree that there are few Indians who do not want to be reminded of their roots. But then, people come in many shades and that too is a shade which we have to accept, like it or not. Each to his/her own. I personally know of at least three young people, children of our acquaintances who were born and brought up here but wished to go and settle in India for their own reasons and purposes. Just this morning I read about Mani Vajipey, a doctorate from Delaware University cleaning up Indian cities like Hyderabad with his Banyan nation. I think he would have made much more money if he had pursued his profession in the US?!! This is just one example...

Talking for myself, yes, I do not wish to return to India in spite of its many lures. It is my motherland and like Srama said, you cannot take India away from within us!! Yet, I do not wish to settle there at my age for I feel really poor in India! We are okay here though not one of your richie rich Indians! But, we can afford all that we want and I am not sure that I will be able to do so in India. It is the infra-structure in this country that attracts most of us, not money like you mention. I think my relatives in India are richer and live a very comfortable and luxurious lives. So, it is not just the money. It is so many other factors.

I am proud to be doing my household chores myself and so is my hubby.Of course I do complain at times about it! But I am sure ladies in India too complain about something or the other that does not suit them on that particular day??!! I think after living here, one becomes unfit to face the red tapism and other such discrimination in India. Every country has its plus and negative points and USA has many negatives too. But a common man too can enjoy his peace, his greenery and a certain amount of luxury here.

L, Kamla

15 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    I too read the article in Times of India. I do not have very high opinion about Jindal.....for that matter about any politician, India and USA both.
    I do not want to go deep into reasons and logic but I opted to stay in India (after seeing lives in both the countries). I feel comfortable, at home in spite of may minuses mentioned in India. Pluses and minuses are there in every country. One has to make a choice. I made my choice.
    Thank you.
    Syamala

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,
    PIYUSH Jindal urf Bobby Jindal has a lot of Desi blood in him. Like a true Indian politician, for his own sustenance India Toh Kya apne Baap ko Bhi bhej dega! How will he ever get the Republican nomination if he doesn't prove beyond reasonable doubt that he has no indian ness in him? He forgot one important factor though, this country is built on immigration, every immigrant needs to embrace his/her roots before blending in here.

Regarding material aspects available in India, I'm sure we can replace it here easily. Even so, I will never be able to recreate the fragrance of the river that flows near my house! The festivals that we religiously try to recreate, we will never truly succeed. That banyan tree with a shrine that my grandmother went to everyday, that house that my dad constructed himself, every brick in that house talks about my dad's hard work, I'm never getting that here. Those paddy fields that we spent endless summer days loitering in, those mango groves, those memories, I don't think this country with everything in it will ever come close to the India I hold in my heart.

8 people like this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Well said , dear friend. nothing stops u from expressing yr love for yr mother country, here it being India.

Both America and India have their own advantages, and luxuries, somethjings are good there, and some here.

My point is this. When a girl marries and meets her inlaws, do her parents become bad. Become American for all we care, but pls dont say such things as Jindal is saying, it hurts. We cant curse the type writer, just because we now have the keyboard. Typewriter was good then for those times, and even no Vishwas, u would be surprised to know Germany hs ordered some 20 of it, so that messages can be type andnot hacked.HAHA

Why pay minimum wages, if the supply is more than the demand, and the person is willing to work for a lesser amount.But these days, these workers are blackmailers, the taxis and autos charge moer than the meter, so it is might is right, as they say, as is yr nneed.

Regards

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akansha,

i was not aware that he converted to christanity, so that means he wanted to change his indian identity since childhood. What was wrong in remaining an indian, and a /hindu.
    Well , Aks, these are luxuries every household in india has it, not only me.HAHA. if u want them come home, though even here things are getting tough , to retain good maids and drivers etc. i follow a different system than others to retain them. i have told them i am saving for thei r daughters marriage, and if they leave me , they can kiss that amount from me good bye.Salary is what is negotiated , so no probs there.

Whether it is my good behavior to wards them, or the promise of this amount for wedding, i dont know, but i am happy, and i would anyway have given that amount for their wedding, but they dont know that.

Am i not a nice chap eh !

HAHA

Regards

kamal