1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Drunk!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Dec 18, 2014.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The other night I woke up very early, and could not find a specific reason for that. I just opened only one window in the hall, waiting for it to dawn. While doing so, I just could observe many things, right from the fighting of the crows [yes!] in the nearby trees [just after 03 A.M.] and I could see a faint light, but otherwise, it was very quiet. Even the crickets were off and it felt at that time, that the entire world was in a sated drunk state, dozing off. Then it slowly dawned. It felt like a pale reddish gold liquid was coming from above in small drops, and was soaking the darker world in it. Some unnamed birds were then up and mostly welcomed it, waking up many others. One bird in particular, could not just bear that happiness, as the world started turning a bit pale and redder and let out a long sigh, as it knew that these drops would soon be replaced by the pure silvery ones, that were about to rain in buckets.

Its longing moved me, as I then was transported to those days that I was so happy with my dear ones, not even knowing the spelling of worry then. I am not that sad now, but somehow, each of us have our own great moments of the past. I longed to be smaller again, perhaps, now thats the sign of getting older, but could not help it. I swayed back and forth, finding it too hard to bear that wail and my nostalgic moments and as a result, my release valve opened. Yes. Tears poured. And that had a magical effect - that of relief. It was whiter outside and I left to work, as usual late. Whatever I did that day, a part of me was in this trance. I started on time, but had to wait for the bus for quite sometime.

After what seemed to be an eternity, it came and I was luckier that day, to get a seat. Or so I thought until, I saw who sat behind me. Yes. It was a man, in late forties perhaps and was fully drunk. He was repeating his plea to the conductor that he should be informed when a particular stop came. I generally avert such folks because of bitter experiences. At times you never know when you will get the next blow, without even knowing what wrong you did. Right? :) I sat erect, not even turning back once, alas, but could not cover my ears then. People who are drunk, at times feel so insecure that even the slightest act of someone whom they see, would be treated as an offence by them. This man started talking loudly and his sentences were largely incoherent. "My wife already told me many times, that I would be cheated by my siblings! How true it turned out to be! They all are rich and I am penniless!", he said and uttered a lot of expletives which made many of us to wince. I knew for sure that he would have treated his wife harshly for just saying this back at home and was now wallowing in a self pity that the drunkards quickly get in to. I felt sorry for him and wondered what in the earth had made him a drunkard in the first place. What could have started for the sake of company must have given him the recklessness that aided him in not accepting himself first. Finally he got down and the entire bus relaxed.

And of course one need not have to booze to lose oneself. Self pity perhaps is the biggest enticer, particularly when one doesn't get anything that he / she aspired for. Jealousy is another. Vengeance too, is there right on top. And all these, as you know, are detrimental. Of course, a success too can dip you in a trough of drunken state, but come to this world back crashing, sooner. Of course, you can lose yourself in a plenty of good things, but they don't ever get you in to this inebriated state ever. Instead, they recharge you!

Its in our hands to choose. Lets remember that and be sober always!

5 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Either which way being drunk involves life it seems eh? I have heard of people say that when they reach certain level in meditation it is like being drunk - I am not sure if that is a state I would like to be in! Made an interesting read.

1 person likes this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Ever since the accident to my home last April and the ensuing hell that has spun off of it, I have ZERO empathy for drunks. She has not even apologized once for all the damage, apparently feeling victimized because my house got in the way of her car. Selfish people who would rather drink than act decently. Don't get me going.

1 person likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

Yes, self pity is the worst thing, according to me. First step is jealousy. We treat jealousy in two ways...by comparing with other successful and self pity is the result and other extremity is vengeance, destroy the person about whom we are jealous. Or working towards improvement or be satisfied with what we have.
    Spiritually drunk is a complete different attitude. Only some enlightened people can go to that stage. Let us leave it for now, as it is impossible. But develop a few good qualities, make our life and lives of people around us peaceful. I aim only up to that point.
    Thank you
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS

Superb one . Regarding the drunk, itis the week people who act like this. i used to drink daily till a few years back, and we knew how to respect drinks, take a few pegs and keep the bottle back in thebar. These peole give guysliek us bad name, and give an opportunity to my wife to tell me to quit, see what happens after one drinks.

Well i quit on my own due to medical reasons, of course the liver is fine.HAHA

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Why I wonder did your attention go towards the drunkards?

Loved the way you described the early morn and how slowly light engulfed the world. The poet did peep in there!

As for the drunkards, I do not know why alcoholism hits some people badly. I feel some of us are inclined towards getting addicted. Be it food, smoke, drink or even computers!! Yes, even the last one is a type of addiction which is difficult to get rid of once addicted to.

In the western countries, alcohol is part of their culture. No feast or celebration is complete without a drink. But then, not all who drink become drunk as such. On the other hand, some take it to the extreme and become alcoholics and become a nuisance to others too like you have mentioned. Lots of study has been done on this and some say it is pathological for some, something organic.

Whatever, any intoxicating substance must be handled with utmost caution.

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,
    In Western countries, 'drink' is normal and is stated to be within limits.But in a country like ours 'drink' has become an antidote for worry.
    There is no end -either to worries or to drinks.
    Fortunately women do not get normally addicted to drinks, but only become victims.
    I don't have any sympathy for addicts, whatever be the circumstances.

My neighbour, 49, who has not even dreamt about'drink' suddenly developed sometype of drowsiness and he could not recognize his wife and started talking disconnected things, just like a drunkard.

He was admitted in Vijaya hospital and kept under observation.Doctors said that his liver is damaged and he must have been taking alcohol without the knowledge of family members. This became a core topic of discussion.
    Such a soft spoken man-who did not even go to restaurant for coffee,-it is very difficult to imagine.
    Investigation was on. There were no withdrawal symptoms. Doctors became curious. The diagnostic tests revealed that by some by unknown chemical process due to a strange disorder ,the proteins he took in the form of sambar,rasam etc were being converted into alcohol by an unknown chemical reaction.It took nearly 7 days for diagnosis.
    He was advised to avoid certain proteins completely in his life.
    His family members regretted having suspected him.
    Now at the age of 78, he goes for a walk, follows medical advice, leads a healthy life.Even today he recollects with pain, the incidents of being looked at with suspicion.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

Thanks SRama for being the first to give feedback to this thread. And I had differentiated between the two extremes I believe, with good and bad examples. Happy to know that you found this interesting. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

While I feel sorry for what happened to you, I just wnat to stress this Tashidelek2002 - I don't advocate for drinks. I made it quite clear in this narrative and said that I pitied those at times. I hope that you got a wrong message in this post and I am sorry, if this hit a raw nerve. The last para of this post should have made my intention clear anyway. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

10. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Syamala, for a nice feedback [as usual]. And while I agree that being spiritually there is very hard, I don't feel that its impossible. I see you more as a practical person there. What consumes us should only be good. Thats what I intended here. -rgs