1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It is not how much you have but how much you enjoy makes you happy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Dec 15, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I learnt in life that money is not everything in the world to be happy . You should have God's grace, elder's blessings, loving family and good friends. Then your life is happy and peaceful. More than living peacefully in young age, you should lead a peaceful and healthy life in old age that isafter retirement.

When young I used to think with money you can live happily. But with experience I learnt that money cant buy happiness. What is the use of having money but no peace. In younger days we have the capacity to struggle but in old age due to health problems we cant struggle, so that time we should be healthy, without any problems , have a loving family to look after and good friends who will be always there to help us.

From young though I had to struggle, I always had good friends in school, while working in office, while travelling in train and in contract bus and with some of them I am still in touch. After marriage we stayed in a chawl but we had so many functions there, my two children were born there, our friends used to visit us . With the help of my cousin brother we shifted to a flat paying pagdi. In that house also we had many functions and my son was born there.

In these four and half years due to the redevelopment of our own house we have shifted 3 houses. In this age it was not so easy to shift 3 houses. Though the packers came and helped but before they could come we had to keep everything ready for them, otherwise in a hurry they will keep something somewhere and we have to search. Every house we stayed was different. The first house was a big one with all facilities and enjoyed staying there because there was Ganpati festival celebrated in the Colony and everyday I could attend andmade friends there and was so happy when the ladies told me to sing. During Navratri a friend taught me Garba and enjoyed the nine day festival there. But after two years we had to shift from there because the rent was increased. The second house was small compared to earlier one, but many visitors came , especially my two daughters came from abroad and spent with us though the space was very less. That shows its not the space in the house is required but space in the heart is required. My 70th birthday was celebrated when I was in that house. My husband had health problem and was in the hospital for some days,I had also health problem and was in hospital but with God's grace we went through that and were fine. Now in this 3rd house many problems were there though the house is spacious. But felt blessed because these 3 days due to Ayyappa pooja in the colony opposite our house 3 days programme was there , first day Narayaneeyam, evening music programme, next day Navagraha pooja,then music in the night and yesterday Ayyappa Laksharchana , glad we could attend all the programs and from mornign could hear the chanting of prayers, right from Ganapathy homam. Today morning also there was pooja , those who are going to Sabarimala came for kattu nerai and from mornign could hear Swamiye Ayyappo and other saranams.

Since last month end my husband had been attending Narayeena Sapthangam, Bhagavadha Sapthangam , I attend only few days. Today he is taking rest . Since last Sunday we have been attending marriages, reception etc. Yesterday we were invited by a Contract Bus friend for Communion of her daughter . My husband was supposed to come but in the last moment he had to go for a funeral so he could not come. Since I had to be there my 7 pmI was thinking how to go alone. Luckily another contract bus friend who is my virtual brother toldme he will pick me up which going though for him it is out of the way. He and his wife came and picked me up by car and also dropped me home in the night . I was missing my husband in the function because now a days I go everywhere with him only.

Suprising first time I have posted without any quotes:). ​Hope I have not bored you all

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

@IyerViji ma, So true. It is not how much you have but how much you enjoy makes you happy. Your life is an inspiration and I can only hope i will be at least half as active as you are when i am your age. Thanks for sharing.

3 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That's the beauty of life Vijima. The best things in life are always free. What one needs to run after and hanker for are just not worth having. Glad that you know how to make yourself happy, no matter what and are content with what life has given you. Very few know how to do that. :-D

sindmani and iyerviji like this.
  4. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Dear viji mami , happiness is always within us & around us . We just have to recognize it and fill our lives . It is never related to the material things in our life .
    This is the most precious life lesson i have learned from you .
    May you continue to have a contented and happy time always .

1 person likes this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Akansha dear thanks for your first feedback and appreciation. Dont worry you will be also active always

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear glad otget your fb. Ya dear though I have many dreams but still I feel contented with what I have which I learnt from my experience. Better to be happy with what we have than crave for something which we do not know whether we are worthy of getting. God knows what to give us and keep us happy

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks SW dear I learnt this from my experience. Thanks for your good wishes

1 person likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,
    An outspoken snippet which I enjoyed.In our native place there was an Elementary school teacher- Narayana vadyar. They had a very small house. A thinnai, a koodam and Kitchen, all small.They had 5 children.mostly they will be seen playing or doing home work in thinnai only. Mami was a fine lady in madisar with smiling face . She was social. That small house would be decorated with kolam giving an auspicious look. They were models to us to emulate.
    Daughters' wedding was celebrated in the same house in a pandal erected outside.Samayal sappadu etc were arranged in my father's house.
    What a nice family brimming with happiness amidst odds!Happiness is what we

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  9. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Set me thinking as always VijiMaa. Its not money that buys happiness. I loved your line ....the heart has a larger space than anywhere else. Took me back to my childhood days when we used to live in a very small house but whenever anyone would come to town, they would have the heartiest time in our house and your words are exactly what they would say.
    It is also not easy shifting houses as you say at your age. But when time comes, the Almighty just gives us the strength to cross over.
    Always look forward to reading your write-ups and never bored!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Jayakka dear thanks for sharing about the Vadyar. This brought me memories of the house which was a chal when I got married. It was one room and a kitchen , in the front room was another small room which was our room. Tap was outside and toilet too. We had so many functions in that small house. My elder daughter was born there. Top the roof was the stones. After staying there for 5 years we got a flat to stay .