1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seniors favorite social media

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

There were many posts earlier questioning the reason behind elderly men hanging around as members in Indus Ladies. On November 28[SUP]th[/SUP], Madhuprabha wrote an excellent post with a title “My personal opinion about Indus Ladies”. The objective of this post is to highlight what in my opinion makes the elderly men to be a member of IL and enjoy the company of elite women members of IL.

Many scientists have clearly defined what would make elderly people remain healthy and active. First, they need to make their cognitive mind very active. Most elders whether they are retired or not, always expect their mind to slow down, lose memory and hence they begin to believe they lose their ability to analyze or be creative. The scientists suggest that it would be a great idea for elders to learn a musical instrument or develop an activity that would involve creative thinking. IL has so many young and mid-aged competitive writers. Especially the women members, are extremely creative in choosing interesting topics, express their opinion very eloquently and second to none in writing skills. In fact, there is so much to learn from them. When elders write in this forum and receive responses from such wonderful writers, it gives a great sense of fulfillment and recognition that elders lack otherwise.

In order to keep the mind active, elders like to interact as much as possible. If they are members of the club, only the members of the same age group will assemble together and share their issues and concerns. In IL, we come across vibrant and active young and mid-aged men and women who freely share their ideas about changing world. It narrows down the generation gap and allows the elders to interact freely with younger generation. Having friendship with different age group is considered as one of the greatest strengths for keeping the seniors vibrant and active. I have written earlier and I confirm here again that most of what I know now is learned from people younger than me. Therefore, it makes perfect sense for seniors like me to hang around listen to the voice of the younger generation.

As the elders age gracefully, their physical activities reduce day by day and their ability to commute or travel is considerably reduced. Interacting with so many friends here in IL gives the seniors ability to interact with the members in several continents without the need to commute from place to place. The elders find it hard to work towards a particular outcome as they age and IL is a great forum in which they can freely express their views without fear of being reprimanded or judged for their opinions. The senior are incapable or participating in a running race to compete with other members of IL but can be part of the marathon by participating in the literary work created in IL for a prolonged period of time.

The best weapon that the seniors can use to beat the aging is to promote the inner qualities and virtues developed over their entire life time. What other method can be more effective than writing about it in a forum like IL? The seniors are not trying to educate anyone by writing here but to remind them about the inner qualities and virtues they have developed throughout their life. The sheer company of the younger generation acts as a deterrent from aging. They consider the entire IL membership as their own family and sometimes providing invaluable inputs and sometimes listening carefully to overcome their own difficulties.

Most importantly, IL is a fun place. The members of IL have great sense of humor, an essential ingredient for the elders to feel good every day. Being active in IL everyday provides a great sense of security for the elders from feeling isolated physically or emotionally. IL actually keeps elders healthy and active and hopefully prolongs their life span.

12 people like this.

2. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir,

IL is a knowledge hub. There is red carpet open invitation to each one of us are here to share; give and take generously all that we know or we wanted to acquire.
    All that is expected is the right attitude to accommodate healthy exchange of views and thoughts expressed in most dignified, graceful and sophisticated way. So as long as we create and appreciate an amicable atmosphere to harbor healthy friendship, any woman or man is whole heartedly welcome Viswa Sir. There is no disparity in gender or age.

And we having you here is the greatest asset to all the younger generation. We simply adore your meticulous way to look at life and for all the contangious positive vibes that you bring in. Proud to have to you Viswa Sir.

Now I'm sooo happy and thrilled to be the first one to respond :)))))

3 people like this.
  3. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Viswa Sir, it is a very beautiful post. But I take objection to your using the word elderly so often. When we are writing on social medias, I think age does not come into play.

Infact I think when one is passionate about anything in life, we will find ways and means to be around it, even if physically it is not possible. See for example cricketers or other sports persons, when they retire from the active game due to age, they find other ways and means to be associated with their respective sport.

So Sir, there is no elder or younger in this forum. Irrespective of age, everybody of like thinking are friends.

With the world shrinking in terms of connectivity, it is adversely increasing the distance between individuals. The result being that even at home, the youngsters prefer to text, whatsapp or facebook instead of talking face to face or over phone.
    So everybody irrespective of age are finding social media an engaging pastime.

I find the only difference between the different age groups is the short forms used while posting in the social media. The younger you are, the shorter are the word abbreviations.

3 people like this.
  4. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice and enlightening post Vishwa sir. When I read Madhu's original post, I could relate with it easily mainly because I am almost in the same situation and age group as her. But I never stopped to think about the other users of IL, not just seniors but others who are more mature and experienced than me. Now that I read your post I am thinking I have been so wrapped up in myself that I never thought about the motivation behind those people, whose posts I love to read.

I always enjoy their posts, whatever forum they may be in. I read most of the posts in snippets section but don't comment on it as posts from people like you, JS, and Viji mam, Cheeniya sir are usually pearls of wisdom and so is everyone's reponse to it and I have to think more than twice to capture what I want to write in reply. Same goes for Srama, RGS, Satchi and GG too, though they are not seniors. And of course Kamalji who can make us smile with each sentence in his blog. IL has a fine balance of people from various age groups with various backgrounds and interests.

I love having you all around me as part of IL and I always thought you are kind enough to pass on your life experiences, values, virtues, knowledge and wisdom to us. There are certain things which we can't learn from books and I'm beginning to realize the value of listening to others, especially elders. I have been in the stage of what do they know to I will buy a book and get the required info to google knows everything when elders tell me something. But now I understand how important it is to retain and not lose the knowledge that was passed on from generation to generation. In real life, I don't have many such people around me to share their experiences and knowledge with me. That’s why I am grateful for all of your presence here and lap up each tit bit of info you share with us.

Thanks for sharing your view Vishwa sir. I am happy that we too can help you in a small way and I am so humbled by your humility when you say most of what you have learnt is from younger people. And can’t agree with you more on IL being a fun place and providing a sense of security and emotional support. It is equally true for many people in IL.

4 people like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    You have said it right.I feel young and energetic and I feel 27.There have been days, there have been terrible experiences that made us depressed and we felt that we may not recover at all. But the untiring efforts motivated by self faith and God faith made us stand what we are today.
    When we share and are being responded to ,there is a clear sense of recognition, though not pride.The suggestions received from many corners make us analyse ,take the best out of everything.
    At this age, when children have settled in life, and house hold chores have been very much reduced due to advance technologies, such membership makes us vibrant.
    I have seen elders very often saying; "we are ageing. Simply sit quiet and meditate on Rama, krishna awaiting Final Call'
    These group mails from young and old depict various phases and magnitudes of many problems in different lights and colours and help to a great extent to get rid of prejudiced notions and ideas.
    It is highly a lovely experience to share our views with all, unmindful of age,and nationality.Thanks to the advancement in communication .

A Tamil proverb says" Pattaal thaan theriyum Paarppavanukku"( not paappaanukku). This proverb has been totally falsified and we learn more from the experience of others
    Definitely I am proud to be a member of this team.
    Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viswa Sir,

For me personally, it is the experience, the wisdom and the stories that the older IL members bring is what is captivating. I have begun to rely a lot, well definitely I pause and think when I read from any of our older IL members - it fulfills a void I sometimes feel. This does not mean that what is written by younger members has no meaning - it does the same to me, makes me feel younger and smile often. Being in between the oh so young and the older group here has it's own advantages, that I can tell you :biggrin2:

2 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

MY dear Viswa

I will give my feedback later for this wonderful post as some problem in my internet, first it started with some problem in my lap top since last Thursday , it got cleared through my son's friend who is an Engineer on Saturday . But then interne tis not working. So I have come to the cafe because I miss IL very much as you all know. Today had gone to that shop and enquired and they said no problem with your internet but problem with your photon. Hope the Engineer comes tomorrow and my internet starts working

Sorry for going away from the topic

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Neetu,

Thank you for your first response and I am also equally glad that it was you who responded first. The unconditional love I receive from the members here makes me feel very grateful. Since that is common for everyone and not only for elders, I didn't mention that in my post.

You are so right that we can almost give anything that we have and take anything we like. The members here are too generous and caring. I always feel welcome here despite the age mismatch. Dignity and discipline that exist here takes care of friendship well. Gender or age disparity does not exist here in IL.

You are too generous with your words and I feel very humbled.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Madhuprabha,

Thank you for responding to this post while the members are keeping you on your toes by responding to your own post about IL. It is true that age disparity disappears when we interact through social media.

If someone has a passion to write, he or she will find a way to keep writing without any inhibitions. But it is the interaction and responses one gets that gives a rich learning experience.

World is becoming too small due to social media and keeps everyone engaged without any fear of loneliness. People age gracefully without a feeling of discarded human being.

Regarding short form communication, once we keep reading them so often, even the seniors get familiar with the short form writing. There was a time when I didn't understand the text from my son that said "wtb" and later realized it means "want to buy".

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Viswa Sir,

I believe IL is of the people,by the people,for the people. There is no bar for age,caste or creed, we are all here to share,discuss,appreciate,vent it out....Neetu rightly said its a knowledge hub...me being in the half age path it's such a pleasure and so wonderful when I read posts from learned,wise and experienced people like you...so much to know and learn...

IL sometimes is like a time traveller too for...both past and future :) Happy and glad that there is something for all here....thank you....

2 people like this.