1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Order changeth yielding place to old

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Nov 28, 2014.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]

[h=1]“The old order changeth yielding place to new And God fulfills himself in many ways Lest one good custom should corrupt the world" Lord Tennyson[/h]Many people heave a sigh about 'old is gold' and think of'good old days'.
    In writing, music, photography and other areas, “outdated” technologies have been valued for their retro, nostalgic appea.

Now we have started counting back the security benefits of the so called old type writers.

Typewriters, for instance, are experiencing a revival in politics.In Germany they have started reusing type writers as they are seen as being an “unhackable” technology.

Following last year’s NSA leaks, the Russian government is also set to return to typewriters in an effort to avoid hacking. “From the point of view of keeping secrets, the most primitive method is preferred: a human hand with a pen or a typewriter.”a press release states.

Initially considered obsolete in the digital age, typewriters are experiencing a slow but noticeable resurgence.

‘The Times in London’ erected a speaker to produce the sound of type writers in an effort to boost staff energy levels, which “coincides with a revival of interest in the typewriter.”

Is it true that old media never die, but they return sooner or later?- The shortese sleeve blouse which was a fashion in 1940 saw a massive cahnge to the longest sleeve in 1970s,came to a medium size now going back to to 1940 again.

Analog technology is not only valued for its nostalgic, retro value, but for its simplicity in an increasingly digitized world that is vulnerable to hacking and privacy breaches.

So while digital technology is heralded as the most efficient in terms of speed and productivity, older technologies offer something perhaps more valuable but under-appreciated.

It’s not just typewriters that have gained renewed significance. Analog photography has in recent years become more popular. And, analog cameras prove better than digital when it comes to privacy.

But if we are moving backward in terms of technology, does this mean that, as a society, we are regressing, against the doctrine of progress? Are we becoming a regressive culture? Well, it depends on what we understand as “progressive,”

So this slow return to older technologies can actually be seen as progressive, as we are prioritizing content over medium, quality over speed and privacy over pervasive exposure.

Given the impact that newer technologies have on the brain in terms of memory and creativity, forcing the brain to slow down with older technologies might actually be a natural progression, rather than regressive. Or, if we are regressing in terms of technology, we may be progressing in terms of intellect, creativity and privacy as a result.

Almost as if the digital revolution never happened, the newsroom of TheTimesonce again resounds to the clatter of the old-fashioned typewriter.To the surprise of Times journalists, a tall speaker on a stand has been erected in the newsroom to pump out typewriter sounds, to increase energy levels and help reporters to hit deadlines. The audio begins with the gentle patter of a single typewriter and slowly builds to a crescendo, with the keys of ranks of machines hammering down as the paper’s print edition is due to go to press.

In the present scenario we may not wonder if people start drawing water from the well using the pulleys. In olden days we had an iron device device called'Paathala karandi 'with so many hooks. It would be tied to a long rope and inserted into the well. The bucket fallen into the will get stuck to the hooks.

Somone asked Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar " what is the difference between Bhairavi and Ananda Bhairavi?" He said" The same as between karandi and pathala karandi"
    Women very much conscious of burning calories may switch over to grinding stones and ammi. Already some people are longing for paruppu thogaiyal prepared using aatuk kal.
    Hereafter ringing tone would not be any film music it would be a gada gada sound of manual stone grinder.The flavour that the puffy urad dal flour gives when ground manually, is unique.
    Will women start preparing papads at home munching gossip?
    In view of electricity shortage, we may turn to hurricane lamps under the pretext of improving vision.
    Shall our grand children llike the unique cowdung water smell emanating from our fronyards?

Will the new order change giving place to old falsifying Tennyson's claims?
    After all change is the only unchangeable thing in the world.Why can't it be to the old one?

Jayasala 42

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

sindmani likes this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Your post reminded my physician in Mylapore who used to advice every woman to go back to using manual stone grinders instead of automated electrical grinders in order to keep good health. My Yoga teacher is constantly training me to sit down on the ground with both my hands moving in a grinding fashion to keep me fit.

When I was working in India for a state owned corporation, we were competing with a Japanese firm. When they submitted the tender, we noticed that they kept the used carbon in their brief case so that no one would know what was the proposal submitted by them. On further inquiry, we found out that they use carbon papers only once and they always shred all their carbon papers.

Knowing that we need record of everything we do nowadays, I am not sure whether it would be possible to keep manual records especially when we have moved to Cloud computing. Typewriter can be used to keep secrecy but it can't become the future. Fashion can come back but not the technology that is already considered obsolete.

Viswa

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Of course new technology is best!

4. jayasala42

Dear Viswa,
    Not that I am hopeful of going back to the bullock cart age.
    It is just an imagination.While we were using only mud oven( Aduppu) in our village, after marriage, on coming to Chennai, I myself have forgotten the techniques of using aduppu.
    I agree that drawing water from the well as well as grinding manually give lot of exercise to the muscles.But ladies prefer to go to gymn rather than using stone grinders.
    Hereafter wells and grinding stone can be seen only in pictures.
    I sent many such photos to my grand daughter for her project work

Jayasala 42

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    Change is the only constant thing and it is the law of the universe. It has become a part of our life as we grow up from an infant to a man or woman. Even our tastes keep changing as we grow up in everything.

Wells had become tube wells and stone grinder has become from electric grinder to tabletop.

But old fashion returns after going a full circle like traditional jewellery and traditional saris.

In fact we travelled to Sriperumbudur to Kancheepuram in a bullock cart on a moonlight night in nineteen forties when we shifted permanently there.

Technology is also changing in leaps and bounds within a short span. and some are bad.

Some changes are good

PS

6. jayasala42

Customs and habit are making full rounds .Thank you for the nice response.Going by bullock cart is a joyful experience though we pity the bullocks dragging heavy loads of human beings.There is a child like desire to see the changes every now and then.
    Jayasala 42