1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Social networking - a boon or a bane to women.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by madhuprabha, Nov 27, 2014.

1. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Yesterday I read an interesting newsin the papers about how the whatsapp profile pictures helped the police nab sixpeople for harassing a group of women on M.G road, Bangalore on Saturday night.(22.11.2014) Iwas very happy and I was excitedly narrating the incident to my DH. My DH is staunch opponent of the socialnetworking sites. He does not advocatethe use of such technology nor does he use it. So every time I come across such incidents where technology, especiallythe social networking, has helped human beings I highlight it in the hope thatmy DH will have changed or will change his stance. Alas,I dream on. But coming coming back tothe issue on hand, I was further shocked when my DH after hearing about thewhole incident, blamed the women for being out late in the night at 11.30 p.m,instead of berating the men for infringing on the rights of women. Sothis brings us women back to the starting thought whether it is women who areinviting trouble for going out late in the nights, or is it the mentality ofthe men which has to be changed. Iam not saying that women should wantonly go out in the night, but sometimeswomen who are working on late shifts or night shifts are necessarily forced tobe out in the city, either travelling to office or home. Is it too much toexpect that the roads and the city are safe for women and give the respect andsafety they deserve.

2. BiriyaniAroma

BiriyaniAroma Silver IL'ite

It is a boon, if we know where to draw the line, a bane when we do not know the limits.

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madhu,

it give no right to any man to harass a woman, under any circumstances. work is not the only way wone are out late, but they themselves want to go to pubs and discos for late nights, which is always risky. i am not saying sit at home like a nun, but still take someone with u, and dont be out too late , say after midnight, when there are few people around.

Regards

kamal

4. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Thank u Biriyani Aroma.
    But sometimes the line between boon and bane is so thin, that overstepping is done without knowing.

5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Safety is one which we give the least importance - be it workplace or out.

The horrible conditions with respect to safety at work place, we are far behind compared to the rest of the world - developing and developed.

Man has no right to harm anybody for that matter but when it is understood that there are risky beings around, better to be careful.

6. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Thank you Kamalji for your reply.
    I agree that work is not the only reason that women are out late in the evening. But whether a women is with or without male companion, the least a women can expect is safety. And just because there are few people on the road, does not give a man any right to harass or behave indecently with a women.
    Does that mean when nobody is looking all men are the same and only society is forcing them to put on a mask of civility ?

7. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Googleglass.
    I agree with you totally.
    Looks like the day of Gandhiji's dream that only when man can walk freely without fear at midnight, then that is the day India will actually gain freedom is only that, a big 'DREAM'.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madhu,

in no way should any male molest a woman, in india or in any part of the world.

All i say is, take care. See if u take out money from bank say a few lakhs, be secretive, have someone else with u, so also when a lady goes out late, better in a group so an would be attacker will think twice and so on.

We must take our precautions, and it is not right to say, that the police should be everywhere, it is police fault etc. We must also take our own precautions in such cases.

Regards

kamal

9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Today's papers carried the news item that the term'sexual harassment' has been redefined to include threatening and the term 'workplace' also includes not only office, but travel spots,railway journeys, malls, parks and even homes.
    But instances of molestation and child raping are on the increase.Is it media over reach or the after effect of media exposure.
    Whatever is, India is an expert in making flawless laws, but 'nil' efficient in flawless implementation.All criminal s are aware that these rules and regulations are paper tigers.
    But it can't be denied that in some cases at least, women invite troubles.We can't look to the state for protection always.

Jayasala 42

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Madhu,

Everything in this world comes with positives and negatives and it is our outlook that differentiates bad from the good. Social Media has achieved from liberating the people of nation to educating people on importance of vaccinations. In my opinion, anything that could be effectively used for the common good of public at large is positive.

I know information available on social media could be accurate or far from accurate and I may have to use my own discretion to use what I consider relevant and useful. Our life is determined by what we choose everyday and the social media is no exception.

Viswa