Don't come near Carnatic music?

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by jayasala42, Nov 25, 2014.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Come December, Carnatic music becomes the rock star, as it were, in these parts.Chennai Carnatic Music season has no parallel anywhere else in the world, and this may be down to the fact that Chennai is here and not anywhere else.

Forget about all the rasikas who specailly arrive from US, book hotels for a month and spend their time only in sabhas.

For an ordinary person, carnatic music is a commodity-How much does it cost per kilo.Don't think, being in Madras everyone loves carnatic music.

It’s obvious that many people don’t venture anywhere near Carnatic music due to the misgiving that their knowledge to appreciate its finer points is inadequate.

Some of terms that you encounter below may sound too technical to some of you. Some of it may not make much sense to you. But don’t let that worry you. Because the whole purpose of the article is just that.
    What do Carnatic concerts mean for a lay man?

Alapana

This is the freelance prelude to the actual song wherein the singer attempts to demonstrate it in a manner as if he were dumb or at least laid low by a sudden paralysis to the face —- that is basically incapable of articulating even a single word normally.

For the uninitiated, an alapana may seem a strange cross between a child’s incoherent blabber and a drunk’s indecipherable remarks. During the alapana section, a singer employs, mostly, either of the vowels ‘a’ or ‘e’ or the consonants tha, ra, and na .This is a process of clinically oriented stretching, chopping, mincing and mixing and we do not know what he wants to express.

Many lay fans may also wonder why the vidwan doesn’t come out straight and begin attempting the lyrics of the number. But this is just not on, because the whole idea of the alapana section is to musically plot the barebones-contours of the ragam and thereby smother even the elementary chance of the listener figuring out what that ragam is by at least the song. Guessing the song and ragam (and mostly getting it wrong) is technically one of the highlights of any Carnatic concert.

Krithi

Every song in a concert is a krithi ( meaning done) and they are so called because it’s in the tradition of Carnatic music to make things complicated for everyone and it is once for all 'done'

One of the complaints laid against Carnatic music is that it’s filled with songs whose language is not understandable to both the performer and the listener. But top musicians have provided a fitting answer to such misplaced criticism by vocalizing in a manner that all the remnants of any identifiable language in the lyrics are butchered beyond recognition.

Ragam

This provides the song with all its unique personality traits, which the performers go ahead and suffocate and strangle out with their own unique personality traits. The rule of the game is simple: No two performers shall thresh out the same ragam in an identifiably similar vein. This has been laid down with the explicit intent of keeping the audience awake, and in a state of suspended animation, also classically defined as utter confusion.

In a typical concert, it is not uncommon to go through sustained periods wherein no one in the audience has a clue as to what ragam is being attempted at that moment.
    Sometimes the difference between two ragams can be so nuanced, that the variation becomes apparent only when the performer announces the name of the raga removing all the suspense. But the comments from the audience continue for a few more minutes.

Talam

The special beauty of rhythms in Carnatic music is that you can pretty much manage a concert without it. For most of a typical concert, the accompanists are seen to just sit around the main performer, not unlike the yawning slip fielders in a cricket match,

Many singers go about banging their thigh in a simulation of the thalam pattern, but in their ferocious enthusiasm they more or less drown out the accompanying percussionists.
    Many rasikas in the first row simply nod their heads and waive their hands in the most imperfect manner to confuse even the perfect performer.

Niraval

We now move into one of the finer aspects of Carnatic music, and begin to contemplate a situation wherein the musician, for some inexplicable reason, is struck with a single phrase or motif of the song and is unable to move beyond that.
    If in the alapana part, the performer loses the skill of articulation, then during the niraval session, he seems to suffer a short-term memory loss, absolutely incapable of recollecting the rest of the words that make up the song. To hide the desperation and embarrassment, he or she then attempts the same line in different riffs, lulling the listeners into believing that it’s all an organic part of the concert.

There seems to be some technical wizardry involved in this, but, all the same, niraval is simply exalting art to a new level of incomprehension and indecipherability.

Swarams

Swaram rendition, clustering in patterned profusion the seven syllables that are deemed to make up all music, is an important aspect of Carnatic singing based on the belief that alapana and niraval alone are not enough to confound the listeners.

The lattice of swarams for each ragam is unique and special, and is usually delivered at breakneck speeds so that they all fall on the ears of the listeners in a mangled heap of incoherent syllables.

Thani Avarthanam

In a typical auditorium concert, this is the period when the main performer closes the swaram part and the accompanying artistes, take over..The auditorium almost looks empty, with most of the audience making their proud presence in the canteen.This is most welcome by the canteen manager.The longer, the Thani, better the harvest for the canteen..

With nobody around, the percussionists belt it out on their hapless instruments, feeling so low, thereby creating a misleading picture that it is a solo act (thani avarthanam). This is period of highest emotion during the concert.

Tukkada

These are sung in the closing moments of a concert. But this can be enjoyed even by the least knowledgeable. We see some rasikas entering the hall only then.Many used to name tukada as 'thool pakoda' ,the most cherished item in the canteen.

I heard such a rasika talking about'ragam-thanam and pal vali

( Written in lighter vein. Artists, real rasikas and performers kindly excuse)

Jayasala 42

9 people like this.

2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Enjoyed reading this. I have been dragged from kacheri to kacheri as a kid (not in Chennai though) and my father would name every single ragam. The only way I could identify the ragam was by trying to think which song it sounded like (and hoping to remember the ragam). Today I enjoy the concerts without trying to analyze the ragam and talam :) Just sit there with eyes closed and lose myself in the music.

Thank you for the wonderful write-up!

1 person likes this.
  3. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hahahah....enjoyed this post of your Jayasala Mam...

my first impression before starting to read was Carnatic music and me, maybe I must skip this one :) I have attended one or two kacheris here in Bangalore...but sat there clueless...not knowing what was being played,raagam or thaalam...and half the time looked at people who were lightly shaking their heads like in a trance...and tapping hands on their thigh...and was like OK...they sure know what's happening...

1 person likes this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Hilarious one J42

Though I enjoy listening to select few, though clueless, it is soothing indeed.

End up only hearing in the car - naughty music on fm - carnaughty music it is :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Very informative.I think Carnatic music is still alive and kicking.. Youngsters are taking to it and if you look at concerts that are televised, there is a massive young crowd in the halls though only for some selective musicians who can attract them.

1 person likes this.
  6. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Nice description moved me to my olden days... me and my father will attend most of the events specially Late Maharajapuram Santhanam (live in music as ever green), T.N.Seshagopalan, Lalgudi jayaraman and 30th Dec.Dr.K.J. Yesudas at YGP School auditorium.

it is very much happy to hear year by year the crowd is increasing and most of them are now talking about this session very much.

Day before yesterday also I read in news that Actor Kamal Hassan also commented this Dec. festival is the World biggest music festival.

Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    I enjoyed reading your snippet written in a lighter vein.
    In fact Chennai is the Mecca of classical music and the rasikas mostly are knowledgeable.
    Music lovers from far and wide visit Chennai during the December Music season. During day time they also go for shopping.
    There was a time when Mylapore and Mambalm Mamies attended the Kacherries to show of their fine jewelry and latest silk saries. Now the atmosphere has totally changed.

Music has no language barrier and even foreigners enjoyed MSS's soul stirring Divine music.

PS

1 person likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS ma'm,

The information is laced with humor and assures even a novice like me that now I can sit confidently in a performance and nod my head joyously for I do really know how to enjoy without going into the finer details.

Enjoyed reading it.

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Jayakka thanks for the useful information about Carnatic Music. Though I dont much about Ragams I enjoy Carnatic Music . LIke the thani avardanam very much. In my house my two sisters in law(Manni) are good singers and also my two nieces. My elder brother though he has not learnt carnatic music sings very well. Now a days children sing so well and they know the ragams also very well.

10. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful write-up JS ma'm. I have never been to a kutcheri although I stay very close to "the hub" where the music floats in the air ( "Ah! what a prime waste for property" will many a rasika grumble). All for the fear of cheering at the wrong instance. I hope to attend a kutcheri sometime (if not this season maybe next) where I certainly cannot identify a raga, but I will at least not feel out of place. Thanks to you, Carnatic music is no longer greek to me.