1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love…..before and after marriage…..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Scorpio707, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Today I was prompted to write and share on “Marriage” that either begets or forgets “Love”.

It was just another day at work and it so happened I got a ping (message) from an old friend-colleague of mine. She is due to deliver in another two weeks, and our conversations revolved on some regular topics, before there was a speed breaker. She mentioned that “All is not well” and she is not happy…and she is going through a tough time. Weighing her current situation, I presumed or silently prayed and wished that it is nothing to do with the baby…and hoped that was not the cause of concern. Luckily she said No – it was not the child she is expecting that is worrying her…but her “Husband”. I was taken back thinking am I reading this right?? This was a couple who were in a courtship for close to 3 years…and then defied all the problems that arose from inter-caste, inter-city, and what not….a couple who look terribly and strikingly good together….a couple who work in the same organization….a couple who broadcast every tiny-winy activity of their life on Facebook shakehead

My first question was – What happened?? Did you guys pick a fight??? NO, NO came her response…so I ended up guessing all the normal Q’s that anyone tends to ask under such a circumstance. Then came a response, he is not the same, he is not the same person that I fell in love with…he has changed, nothing is like before, I am all alone, he is not helping me with anything even though I am due in the next few days. Initially I brushed it off while she was rattling knowing some quarrels are common, and it won’t be long before one kiss and hug would make it all “Gone with the Wind”. But unfortunately know, it was more than that…talking over the phone there was more to the story that told.

The not so good situation suffices for the title….Having had an arranged marriage with lesser trouble and confusion, I consider myself as those lucky ones who has a blessed life with different set of problems than with spouse and family. It is just sad to know and see that not just friends, but either the folks in office or acquaintances talk on similar lines that “Everything is different/changed after marriage”. I wonder why, what invokes this feeling, where did the love that once blossomed fade, why are there doubts after you have made a decision to live together…what happens to the struggle, the emotional blackmails, fights, even love that leads to eloping just to get “Married”.

Waiting, talking over phone and sms all night, flowers, coffee, holding hands, promises and vows – Where and why do they vanish after marriage thinkingsmiley Yes of course, nothing lasts for ever, people need to grow up and get responsible and make a life and living. Honeymoon last just for days or maybe weeks not after that…but why does not love sustain?? Is it because of the fast forward life that lovers indulge in that their meet time before they know it. Threats are made by the couple if they are separated, some end lives taking a hasty decision. All this circus, sorry to call it that way before marriage but why not after. I am not angered as such knowing this happens…just sad that why people do not value time and life…it’s one life you get to live why not make and live to do the right things. Why think that “I” fell into a trap, I was blind, I was cheated….

The word “Love” takes a back seat for such couples, and converts to not even a “Like” …..There could be various reasons, and more could be to such stories than what meets the eye, still. The ratio of success and failure can be 50-50, just can’t say.

Life is what we make of it…well hoping and wishing for a “Happy Ending” to all, after all it’s just one “Life” :thumbsup

14 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Scorpio,
    Madam, A must thought process in the present scenario.
    Whether it is love marriage or arranged marriage 'love after marriage' is more important. As regards married life the term 'love' itself has to be redefined in the practical sense of the term.Love is not a fascination for physique, looks, complexion but a psychological factor associated with perfect understanding and acceptance of one another with their own positive and negative points.

On many occasions engaging in intimate conversations with members of the opposite sex leads to emotional experiences that cloud judgment, trigger fantasy life, and progress toward physical intimacies outside of marriage.A sympathetic listener soon turns a villain.

There needs to be fairness in the distribution of work and responsibility within the relationship. This willingness to extend oneself also pertains to meeting emotional needs. Placing one’s desires consistently ahead of a partner’s emotional needs and responding only when it is a matter of convenience, demand or negotiations leaves a spouse feeling unloved.

Selfishness in its most destructive form involves control, manipulation, jealousy, possessiveness, demands and abuse in order to get one’s way. In milder forms, it is lack of consideration and respect.

Marriage needs acceptance, admiration, appreciation and emotional safety. Feelings of anger and hurt follow when the process of exploring differences or contrasting opinions consistently degenerates into criticism, impatience, labeling, contempt, or discrediting one’s thoughts or feelings.

Constant lecture, ridicule, threats, brainwashing etc undermine the mutual respect that forms the basis of love. When one feels unfairly judged or ill treated, the tendency of the other is to retaliate.

Sometimes positive anger may lead to useful discussions, but not always.On many occasions it is an impediment to positive communications.

Expectations for marriage include a desire for this soul-satisfying experience of being known, understood, loved, accepted and valued for who you are and having a place to turn for comfort and support. If this component of marriage is lacking, marital partners feel cheated of the essence of what they truly expect marriage should provide.

Marriage needs to be a place of safety, a haven, a place of love and refuge, not a war zone.

Always being “right,” being rigid, judgmental, or easily angered or flooded with emotion disrupt communication before problems can be solved. Arguments and conflicts occupy greater hours than the actual problem. Sometimes 'no problem' turns into a 'big problem' because of 'ego' conflict.

Now that many marriages have abrupt ends within a short span, parents have a special duty. In stead of talking about jewels, sarees ,, costly invitations, luxurious kalyana mandaps, costly floral decorations, rich dinner arrangements, a discussion with event manager-- why not spare time with the would be partner, have a heart to heart discussion about themselves, their weaknesses etc?

Why can't they resolve for adjustment and take oath of commitment for life, be true to oneself, willing to love and share in times of need?Adjustment does never denote slavery.
    Mothers of sons have to specifically emphasize the necessity of drifting away from the demonic patriarchy however strong rooted it Be.
    I feel that many parents concentrate more on the celebrations rather than on the harmony, the most essential aspect of the institution of marriage.
    Marriage is an event for life. It is life time project. It has to be planned properly with two partners initially with scope for increase soon.With shrewd planning with psychological bearing, with love as the fulcrum, there is no possibility of any marriage to fail.

Jayasala 42

Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Good Writeup Scorpio!!!

I think love just changes forms before and after marriage as people get used to one another. The love changes from obvious actions or expression to more subtle form, cooking the favorite dish, watching movies or doing activities together, planning about life and family, going to grocery shopping, lifting of bags, giving medicines, taking to doctor, etc. It is so subtle that neither the doer feels love or the recipient feels love but the love is still present. This is similar to other relationships (with parents or siblings or friends), we may not express them often or at all, yet we consciously or unintentionally take care of the person. So, shaadi se pahele pyaar mil jaata hai, Shaadi ke baad choti choti bato mein dhudhna padta hai. Lower the expectations and one will see love in everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Scorpio,
    Love doesn't disappear. It is a different matter to meet someone now and then or working in the same place or wherever it may be than living him with her/him forever. It needs some compromises, adjustment to each other living 24/7. No two people are alike in thinking or have the same likes and dislikes. Accepting a person as he/she is and not trying to change each other is the fundamental rule. Forget about flowers, honeymoon days, talking sweet nothings.....that is a temporary phase but living together is permanent(unless the situation is very bad). Love is like an undercurrent. There may be some crap which is floating on the surface but love doesn't go anywhere, it is always there. May not be very expressive as in the initial days. Apart from marriage everyone has their jobs, preferences, passionate something what they want to do. It is like a zigsaw puzzle, pieces have to fit in. Married life is one of the important pieces. If things go very bad then it is completely a different matter. Those discussions we see very often in the family forum.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Scorpio, love is blind. You don't really see all the aspects of the person you love, only the positiv e ones with minor flaws .Even these flaws become objects of your affection as you feel that the guy is a complete man with them (100% good guys are boring). But marriage and childbirth, fortunately or unfortunately opens your eyes.

1 person likes this.
  6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one S7

Love before marriage is school/college life and love after marriage is like career life.

Though you would love to have your school/college life, practically not possible. mind has to be conditioned to enjoy the current life and try it making all the more interesting. For which both will have to realise/accept the reality and then try working on it. After being graduated how can one still have the infancy/childhood state of love???

1 person likes this.
  7. Scorpio707

Thanks Akanksha...your last 3 lines are good:thumbsup

8. Scorpio707

Hahahha....what an explanation GG :) I suppose in the career life you mentioned...maybe there is lack of motivation, no performance appraisals/hikes...no change in designation too....

1 person likes this.
  9. Scorpio707

Balajee....love is blind only until marriage, and then the eyes are wide open :) ...OK now this is a new insight for me - 100% good guys are boring ah??? Hmmmm...thanks for the comments Balajee...

10. Scorpio707

Yes Syamala rightly said...and yeah the "Married Life" forum houses such bizarre, difficult problems...it is sad....