1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hats off to you mr.laddowallah111111

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If you think that his blog is a tribute to some Parsi gent called Laddoowallah (Which other community has names like Ginwalah, Whiskeywallah, Rumwallah Nariyalwallah? Someone even told me that there is a guy called Batatawadawallah) you couldn’t be more wrong. The Laddoowallah here is a Laddoomaker.

What is so special about laddoomakers? Well, there are laddoos and laddoomakers? All laddoos are not equal and nor are laddoomakers. This laddoowallah (I am forced to call him by this name because his actual name has not been revealed by the media), makes the iconic Tirupati laddoos. sold at the temple of my divine namesake in Tirupati. And making these laddoos whose recipe is said to be a family secret, he has made a fortune .

He didn’t show off his fortune until recently when he got his daughter married. revealing that there is gold in laddoos. .Now hold your breath and if you have a weak heart read no further. The girl wore jewellery worth Rs three crores. You got to see her photograph. You get the impression that you are looking at a mountain of gold with a Tirupati laddoo perched on top of it with some gold garnishing added on its head .

Looking like a mountain of gold is a refreshing change from the usual brides who normally look like Christmas trees. So Mr.Laddoowallah hats off to you for this welcome difference that you have made. Not only that Mr.Laddowallah went a step further by trying to upstage his daughter in the jewellery sweepstakes by donning dozsning a pile of chains (gold of course) and bracelets. But I think the daughter won the gold race because in the photo the jewellery sticks out like a sore thumb in daddy dearest’s case. And doesn’t match his simple white attire.

Before donning all those chains he should have taken a lesson from our dear old Bhappi Lahiri. The Bollywood composer knows how to carry off his dozens of gold chains. It is as if the chains are an inseperable part of his body./ The uncharitable may say that he looks like a buffalo tied with gold chains. But let us admit that Bhappida deserves the lifetime Golden Buffalo award for his fashion statement . No Laddowallah can snatch it away from him however hard he might try.

For decades Bhaapida earned a living churning out a zillion versions of Johnny Halliday’s French classic number “Le Noir C’est Noir (I think there is a cruder English version called Black is Black) until listeners saw everything black and turned their back on him.

The last time abyone has heard of Bhappida was when he contested the last parliament elections as a BJP candidate in West Bangal.. He dazzled the voters with his jewellery. But alas all that glitters, even gold does not glitter enough to entrance the voters to elect you and poor Bhappi lost the polls and probably his security deposit.

But he still retains his chains, and the Golden Buffalo award unless a determined rival decides to snatch the award from him carrying off all the buffalo oops sorry golden chains with greater élan than Bhappi.

Seriously (Yes I am being serious) speaking I don’t understand all that ostentation. Why on earth do we spend so much money on the wedding trousseaus that we hardly give a second look after the wedding day? Couldn’t it be easier to invest your cash on something that can be worn even after the wedding?

This ostentation has reached shocking levels even among those who cannot afford it. During my visits to south , in a TamilNadu town I chanced to view a shop with a signboard: FAKE GOLD JEWELLERY AVAILABLE ON HIRE FOR WEDDINGS” . You got to show off even if you don’t have the cash and try to glitter in something that is not gold and is rented.

But that also gave me a great idea. Why can’t shops rent out wedding trousseaus? Even the well-off middle class can rent them instead of burning hard =earned money on something that you are going to wear only once in your lifetime?

I will probably be laughed at for such a suggestion. That will fall on deaf ears because many people I know tend to flaunt their wedding trousseau to every visitor even if they don’t wear them. I am sure Ms.Laddoowallah’s jewels too will remain unworn buried in some bank locker for life… After all no one wants to look like a golden mountain topped with a gold-garnished Tirupati laddoo, at the drop of a hat do they?

5 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one B'

Showing off isn't a fashion but passion it seems for these people. I remember the huge laddoo size those days and now - size decreased, gold increased :)

Kamalji has the photographs of this girl and he is a big fan of her, for the gold she wears :)

1 person likes this.
  3. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee Sir,

Nice one! I was scrolling the page up and down to catch a glimpse of the 'golden mountain' looking bride. Well, that's how we women are fond/interested/inquisitive about jewelry. But times have changed, this generation we no more love to flaunt those heavy ones, happy with simple or fine jewelry. Many from previous generation still think lavish gold display speaks of one’s socio economic status and synonymous to one’s financial strata. Hence decking their daughters like ‘Amman or Devimaiya’ statue for weddings.
    Some genuinely love Gold :)))))
    I find the yellow metal is too flashy and the white dazzling ones are to my taste. I’m OK to give off all my Gold for a solitaire stud and pendant.
    I loved your comparison of brides to Christmas tree. Christmas trees look soo adorning!

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

It is so funny that Balajee chose to write about Laddoowallah, People used to joke "Thirupathikke Ladda?" Speaking about ostentation, it looks like people take a lot of pride in conducting wedding of their daughters as show of their economic status.

Earlier days, the gold jeweleries were intended for economic rescue, if the family were to face any financial crisis due to health or other issues. If the marriage is to be announced to the friends and relatives, people can have one dinner organized as reception and conduct the wedding simply in the registrar's office or place of worship, as they please. Nowadays, the latest generation of women don't like gold anyway and they all like fashion jewelries that are not expensive.

You are talking about the human wedding. You should see the wedding ceremonies and other functions carried out at the temples for Gods here in the US. Older generation of people visit with their silk saree and diamond necklaces to witness the wedding of the Gods. I am not sure when did their Gods ask these people to perform their wedding in style with so much expenses? Can they spend that money instead on feeding the homeless?

Viswa

By the way, I have to give credit to Laddowallah for keeping the family secret in tact for so many years. I have not tasted laddu as good as Thirupati laddu as yet.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Here is the picture for those of you missed seeing - hope B' it's ok with you :)

imagesCK1ZGPKS.jpg

1 person likes this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I am reminded of Tamilnadu Amma on her fostered son's Wedding in 1996.
    This is an unwritten welcome to robbers.
    I have seen Kerala Wedding brides also decorated in a similar fashion.
    Is it real gold?
    Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  7. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Jaya Mam,

:))) I'll add on to your point...Keralites take pains to stitch the ornaments with golden silk thread to the saree, so that each mala stands in it's place and seen. None should mix up and go unseen :wink:
    No offence Keralites, I'm one and it shows how esthetic we're :-D

2 people like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Looks like a walking goldmine!!!! The picture shows beauty doesn't increase with adorning tons and tons of gold! It can be kept in a a locker (biggest size) for investment purpose though!
    Syamala

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

gg I have seen Tirupati laddoos as big as a cannonballl. But now both size and prcze have bone up. and Mr. Laddowallah is making enough because of that to deck his daughter with gold from to to toe. Show off is not just a passion but is a religion here.

1 person likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Parineetha whil it is perfectly normal for Christmas trees to look like Christmas trees, there is somethig definietely odd about humans looking like Christmas trees. Jewelry is fine as long as it enhances the wearer's beauty it is fine but so much of gold on one's body is downright grotesque. Platinum and silver are definitely more tasteful options than gold.