1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cult following

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I am really surprised as to the cult following that goes on in India even in 2014 even after so many cult readers are exposed of amassing so much wealth and worst involved in inappropriate behavior with ladies. I really fail to understand why people would give their life for their leaders. And if the leaders truly love their supporters, wouldn't the leaders advice their followers to be peaceful instead of show of strength?
    I have heard a few of these so called great leaders (in summer like birds, these folks flock to US for "greener" pastures). They are good orators but most of what they say is common sense and at least I don't remember anything afterwards. In fact most of my spiritual/religious knowledge has come from reading and since, i read them, i understand them and remember them. Today, all the religious books are available in all languages. So, do we need these cult leaders? Even if we need them, why would one go to the extent of giving huge amount of money, land, get hurt to protect them, die for them? The worst is a lot of the followers are educated, successful and rich (The cult leaders like such people). It is so ironic, that these leaders tell people to not to be greedy or go after money, while they try to collect more and more money for themselves. Not only people looks like the government is also getting mesmerized by these leaders and offering "Z" security to the sadhu. Why would a sadhu need a "Z" security? So I really fail to understand how do people get so much attracted to these leaders and lose their normal common sense. Would like to hear if someone has ideas.

4 people like this.

2. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Akanksha...nice one from you....

Just this week happened to read in the papers about "Z" security for someone here...lets not take his name..found it funny thinking who is going to harm him now to engage so many body guards...and if he is insecure then why do what he is doing...weirdos seriously....

And the fact about being good orators I think it's to do with people...common sense is locked away due to some unknown reasons...and when the same is spoken/preached or advised by another...people end up giving them VIP status...and then there is no looking back...and true...they talk about living life blah blah...but travel in "B" class...occupy acres of land...wear expensive clothes...and what not....

3. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

1. Common sense is not very common. If it were, life would be a breeze for most.
    2. The above goes on to prove that money does not buy happiness. Neither for the religious guru who inherited wealth from the rich, not the rich who have the money and are looking for happiness.

Most of the questions you raise have simple answers. You just need to look at it from their point of view.

There is no question of whether we need them. You and I don't need them, but some others need them.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akansha,

ell said, exactly as i think and beleive. All is common sense. And why give money, which can be used in family and relatives to help those who are down, to educate someone like the maids child, etc.

if the prayers of the saints bring prosperity, then why work at all, sit at home and money will come from the ceiling it will rain money on u.

HAHA

Did u read about Rampal last week, what hehad ammased. i was amazed really.

Regards

kamal

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,

The true Saints always ask us to inquire and find answers within. The cult leaders always ask us to follow them blindly. The true Saints get soaked in love and spend their lives serving the community. The cult leaders get soaked in money and spend their lives serving themselves.

No Saint would take anything but love and give anything but love. The cult leaders expect a lot more from the crowd besides devotion to their selfish desires. Saints come into our lives to give invaluable currency of love and knowledge but cult leaders come into our lives to take invaluable currency and keep us ignorant.

Politicians go to places where people blindly listen and that is a good sign of cult leader. There is not much of difference between politicians and cult leaders. Neither of them like questioning or inquiry. They thrive in each other's company and gain strength from each other.

Viswa

6. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

I wonder about it too - Why do people indulge in such cult following?