1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fostered Friendship and Trust never Rusts...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Nov 18, 2014.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Fostered Friendship and Trust never Rusts...

The title must have brought about a few characters from the epic, for those who have read. For the very few those who haven't, it is Karna, Duryodhana and Bhanumathi. If I have given an impression that am well read sorry for it, I have also just picked them from Amar Chithra Kathas' and a few movies on this.

But the characterization was so very powerful that they left an impact as the primary example for friendship and trust, right from school days.

Karna and Duryodhana are known well but Bhanumathi? She was the wife of Duryodhana. Friendship and Trust is what is all about between these three characters.

Initially it was or could have been a selfish act of Duryodhana to embrace Karna, the only one who could challenge Arjun. But then what evolved was an epitome of friendship and trust.I would like to share just the one scene that takes the relationship out of friendship and trust, to greater heights between the three.

Karna and Bhanumathi were playing the dice game and Bhanumathi was on the verge of losing and on seeing Duryodhana coming, out of respect got up. Karna not knowing the arrival of Duryodhana, felt that Bhanumathi was giving a slip to avoid defeat, unintentionally pulled her drape/dhuppatta of those days studded with pearls.

The pearls broke lose and by now Karna felt embarrassed and also noticed Duryodhanas' arrival. He too got shocked and felt distressed. Both Bhanumathi and Karna were shocked to the core, even if they didn't really had any wrong intentions. Friendship and trust was very powerfully being challenged in this scene.

What would Duryodhana think of? Would he doubt his wife and friend? Duryodhana having been portrayed the bad guy in the epic, throws in a surprise and exhibits his good side by casually bending down to pick the pearls and with a smile utters - "SHOULD I JUST PICK THE PEARLS OR SHOULD I STRING THEM AS WELL"

The friendship that was fostered and the trust that was earned by Karna and the trust Duryodhana had on Bhanumathi is something beyond words to describe.

All three characters stand as the example for friendship and trust. One who understands the importance of this would never ever break a friendship and trust that was earned over a period of time.

In this fast paced world are we short of time to gain true friendship and trust? Do we have greater ambitions to achieve monetary and worldly pleasures at the cost of foregoing friendship and trust?

With each relationship that is to be fostered for a healthy and mutually satisfying experience, friendship and trust are the two basic elements/ingredients that is to be nurtured well.

It is not a mushroom that grows in an overnight rain. Each relationship has to be valued and respected, gradually the friendship and trust keeps growing which is tsunami proof, earth quake proof, avalanche proof, electrocution proof, storm proof, water proof and many other proofs. This would stand as a true proof of friendship and trust.

Spouse is one and friends could be many as other relations, with all those whom we move along gaining and expecting true friendship and trust might not be possible, but the intentions have to be there. But with those whom we are close, it is a must. The rest I would say are just acquaintances, even with them our actions should portray that we mean true friendship and trust. That helps in fostering the values on these two qualities, in their minds.

We may not be spoken about as these three characters by a wider audience, we are not here to become a hero or heroine of these qualities, but the respect we gain among the very few we get along is more than the wider audiences' recognition.

Let us set examples to the extent that is possible. I am in it already and trust you would also.

sindmani, jskls, Kamla and 16 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear GG,

This story that you have presented from Amar Chithra Katha is embedded in my head since my childhood. There is no question that Duryodhana/Karna friendship is commendable. Similarly, during the same time period, there is another friendship that is much talked about i.e. the friendship between Arjuna and the Lord Krishna.

I totally agree with you that relationship/friendship is not built overnight and it is a constant construction that goes through initial foundation to a fully finished home where the relationships are nurtured. They are not to be looked at acquaintances like we don't see the walls of our home as concrete walls. It should remain strong in pleasure and pain. Most importantly, the most difficult communications are to be made whether it is received well or not. In times of trouble, one should stand by a friend to help in whatever manner possible. Those relationships/friendships are life changing events for us as our life is dependent on the company we keep.

If you notice the relationship between Duryodhana and Karna, at some point of time, the mutual benefit is lost and selfishness takes over and one becomes a boss and the other becomes a subordinate performing his role as a friend forgetting the duty of notifying the friend about dharma.

Even in the friendship between Arjuna and Lord Krishna, the dominant personality is Lord Krishna who determines the role of Arjuna in the war and many other times. But at no point of time, Lord Krishna had selfish motives other than establishing the righteousness in the world.

Therefore, I feel where there is no selfishness and the friendship thrives on mutual love for each other, those relationships will remain stronger forever.

I really enjoyed reading your post and nominated it right away because of the rich content. Keep writing such posts that would make us all think more. There is so much to learn from you.

Viswa

7 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Where did you get your Amara chitra kathas from GG? Jokes apart, we do need these stories and reminders more than we actually admit to ourselves. As such we are blessed with the monkey mind and then the onslaught of information or misinformation is crazy that it is easy to fall prey.

This trust and friendship is so definitely so needed at least with in the first circle we keep.

Good intense post GG! Thank you!

2 people like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

thank you LF for the first and the fast one.

5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

"When Destiny Forgets To Tie some
    People In Blood Relations
    It Corrects It's Mistake By Making
    Them True Friends"This is Quoted by some one but I like it much.

I value Friendship more than Blood relations.

jskls, Kamla, satchitananda and 3 others like this.
  6. GoogleGlass

Thank you V' for the beautiful fb and it is much more valuable than the nomination. I did notice that yesterday on two instances you first went and nominated and then came back to give the fb. That shows the write up has moved you and that known, me too moved. :)

You must have read much more and to detail, hence your views are wholistic/holistic. But one thing that strikes is the friendship between Krishna and Arjuna is one between an immortal/god and a mortal heavily backed by the god to uphold dharma.

The friendship and trust between these 3 are - mortals, where we stand along side. He did give his life for his friend though it was against dharma and Duryodhana cried only when Karna died and not when he lost his brothers.

Having been orchestrated by the Lord, the message was strong though it was from the group against dharma. I shall recollect the role of Vibeeshna who walked away from Ravana, unlike Karna here. Probably you know better about this and why.

Thank you V' again for the lovely fb and nomination.

3 people like this.
  7. deepthiraj

deepthiraj Platinum IL'ite

Well said Ma....
    Nice one GG...While reading this snippet,i remembered Karnan movie(Tami)...now i want to see that movie...
    Next tamil poetry try panunga....ok va??

1 person likes this.
  8. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Aha, whaat a treasure trove I’ve lost last nitght! :(
    Someone graciously spilled their pearls of wisdom, I see it’s picked…stringed to an exquisite piece that had already hit the auction tables. How unfair of you my friend? You should have told a word, I would have torn my screen off to grab the pearls with both my hands GG!

I know there are lots of precious diamonds and platinum’s all over you, when that spills I’ll loot the million-pounds worth all myself :shhh:
    Lovely write up GG! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Friendship or any relationship for that matter thrive on trust, nurturing them, goes a long…long way in strengthening the bond.

jskls, jasmine25 and GoogleGlass like this.
  9. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Hi gg sir , nice thoughts to read early in the morning . Made me remember my friends and their importance in my life .
    Like every relation friendship also needs careful nurturing . Trust is the first step towards friendship . Loyalty is the glue .
    Friendship is definitely the most fulfilling and satisfying relationship between two people including spouses.

1 person likes this.
  10. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

GG...a nice one from you...this line was awesome, and true " we are not here to become a hero or heroine of these qualities, but the respect we gain among the very few we get along is more than the wider audiences' recognition" :) :thumbsup

1 person likes this.