1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little Things and What They Do to Little Minds

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Oct 21, 2014.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Ah yes! This was what I wanted to write about. Whom else do I thank, other than the Writer who suffers from the Rambler's block for this! He reminded me what I wanted to write about. After writing an FB there, I suddenly remembered what it was that I had forgotten. My worries about being stricken by Alzheimer's are now doubly justified. I mean I seem to be so badly stricken by it that I forgot what I had forgotten, meaning I just remembered!!!!! :hide: Sorry for that! Bad joke, I know. In the name of the Diwali spirit, please don't throw anything at me unless it be rava laddoos!

Well, coming to the point - which makes me think I should be usurping the title of 'Rambler'. I am accused of rambling too much when the BH is made to read what I have written. Oh yes, I had forgotten again. The point! I was talking to a friend this morning when I told her about yesterday's episode.

Just yesterday I walked into a reservation counter to book tickets for my upcoming holiday. Imagine my initial shock when I looked around and found a huge crowd of people sitting on every available chair in the room. I was mentally calculating how long it would take for me to finish my work and get back home. Picking up a reservation form, I sat down tentatively on a chair in the first row, wondering when someone would pick up a row over my sitting in the first row ahead of them! One more shock was in order - no one said anything! Whatever had happened to the Great Indian Public? Or was this the Diwali spirit at work? So I gathered the courage to walk up to the counter. No reaction from the GIP! Finally, unable to hold my curiosity any longer, I asked the lady at the counter why there was such a huge rush there. I was informed that they were all waiting for 'tatkal' tickets which are issued only at 10 am. Now the delight kicked in big time - delight at being able to go and book my tickets ahead of an entire room full of waiting people! That kick cost me nothing. :-D

Took me back to an example from days long past when dinosaurs still existed. I am talking of an era when it was impossible for young people in India to think of living independently on their own earnings. Earnings did not go even a microfraction of te way to the Mars, while the cost of living sky-rocketed all the way to the end of the Universe and all the way back. (These days, I believe one can get to the Mars at less than the auto rickshaw fare). I was thinking of the days when I was a poor student subsisting on a stipend, but felt very rich because the stipend was in 'pounds'. (No, it did not add any to my frame!) Just the thought of how much it translated into as 'rupees' would give me a sudden kick in an idle moment. So much so, that I started scrimping and scrounging just so I could get back and be a rich woman overnight. :rotfl Dream on, young Satchi, dream on! Lying down and looking around at the room, the thought that all those possessions including the rented room came out of my own earnings was enough to give me the kicks those days.

It was this very need to make it big - call it OCD if you like - that made me walk all the way back from distant supermarkets, carrying huge packets of shopping (instead of travelling by bus - it would amount to a whopping amount translated into 'rupees,' you see!!!!!). This sometimes necessitated crossing a road. I loved the disciplined system which dictated - AND WAS FOLLOWED TO THE "T" - that the moment a pedestrian stepped onto the zebra crossing, all traffic was supposed to stop. Oh the joy of looking at traffic stopped on both sides and ambling along slowly across the road making them wait ...... sounds perverse? If they had their cars and luxury, I was one up on them on the pedestrian crossing! Well, just one more of those small kicks in life.

But for all those kicks in life, Karma kicks hard, I don't want to mention where. Back in our Mahaan Bharat, I have to make way for vehicles on the pavement, I have to run for my life across roads when crossing. Now that requires quite an effort, given the fact I can't run, but fear lends wings and all that, you see! Must be quite a sight though! Have not had the opportunity to watch a video clipping of myself running a cross-crossing marathon yet. Must go over sometime and bribe the guys at the police station for a glimpse.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Okay Satchi, you have to forgive me here. A few things that caught my attention...just as karma kicked in later, wouldn't you agree if I said, those "pounds" from your oh so young days caught up later on in life.....err...psst....as far as filling in that frame is concerned :hide: :biggrin2: and Satchi, being a good friend of yours, I have assumed and I mean it with all sincerity that unless you are forgetful, something is not alright....remember all the feed backs that you give to a post in your mind thinking you actually typed them out? What Alzheimer's? That is the Satchi I have known. I would be very agitated if you came up with a mental list of things you have set out to do for the day and then proceed in that order. Somethings are like that only you know...like a loved one is not alright unless he or she is angry first and then happy. So coming to the point of forgetfulness, all is well with the world for I thought you are going to talk of forgetfulness and thankfully, you forgot and you took us around to your pounds, tickets, zebra crossing days to your now younger self sprinting across the street to cross, perhaps searching to see if that zebra crossing still exists and if yes, where? Well done Satchi.. Well done. Now you have me happy grinning ear to ear....have a wonderful Deepavali.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Oh dear, i have a feeling u are about to forget about the loan of 5,00,00,00,00 that i had given u sometime back. kindly make out a cheque for the same and send me immediately, in case u totally blank out later.This is a very serious case, and i must get u treated at my cost if necessary, to recovery my just dues!!!!

Well yes u can ask the cops for the copy of the traffic signal video, and u will find yrself a marathon runner, if u have crossed the road while u should not have. if u managed to reach alive the other end, i suppiose they should give u an oscar for that eh !

HAHA

Good one.

Regards

kamal

4 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

Dear Sabitha,

Now, before I think I have posted my reply to you, let me ensure I have. :-D

It was so wonderful to see your reply when I switched on my laptop just now. Yes, Karma did kick in a bit late. All the paper pounds I saved got transformed into external signs of prosperity, albeit much later on in life. So there! There is no escaping Karma is there? Which brings me to the point: Should I refer to Lady Karma or Mr. Karma? Lady Karma sounds much nicer, doesn't she?

5. satchitananda

Kamalji? Now, who is that I wonder! And he claims I have collected Rs. 500,000,000 from him? I have never seen that number and had to count the zeroes backwards to figure out how much that amounted to! Anyway, that is good news. It means I have not forgotten that I am supposed to forget! My Alzheimer's is alive and kicking.

1 person likes this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,
    Forgetting is a day today habit. When I open the Fridge door,I forget what to take out. Only on rentering the kitchen I remember about the green chillies which I would like to take from fridge.
    But I felt very happy when I understood that our mind is laready provided with a special software which acts as a winnower constantly removing unwanted things from the brain and retaining what is needed.If we are not gifted with 'forgetting' we would be lamenting over a century's sorrows.

Why do you worry?
    After all 'forgetting' is 'remembering to 'forget';
    and 'remembering is 'forgetting' to 'forget'.

Got confused? Don't worry.Ultimately 'forgetting' is a bliss. Don't Forget to forget.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

LOL JS Ma'am, very true. It is wonderful to forget painful things instead of cluttering our old model hard drive, but unfortunate part is when it gets stuck with the unnecessary stuff and forgets necessary things. Sigh!!!

Forget to forget. Good advice. I do hope I don't forget that now!

8. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hahaa..Had a wonderful time reading your snippet but truly we sometimes get stuck with unnecessary stuff but forget necessary things :D Wish you a very Happy Diwali and prosperous new year.

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Thanks Superwoman! Wish you the same. :-D