1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scented Savories..!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vittala, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Vittala

Vittala Gold IL'ite

The festival of lights is just round the corner. It’s a colorful festival in every way- new dresses, fireworks, homemade sweets and savories, exchange of greetings and sweets with kith and kin. Needless to say, one gets to pamper oneself with sweets and savories for a minimum of ten to fifteen days to heart’s content.

Oh Appu! But what of that weight loss goal and calories count before your cousin’s wedding, I hear my mind voice ask.notdonesmiley sshh..! I shut my mind voice with a reverberation, its okay to break the rules once in a while, it’s really OKAY to Break the Rules. It definitely is OKAY to break the rules. {By the power of three, I trick my mind voice to believe it’s really okay}. After all, one has all the time to starve, run, jog, try a bit of aerobic, (while Akon’s song plays on the background to keep your body moving or rather shaking to the beats that goes, “jiggle jiggle it to the left aa aa ha.. jiggle jiggle it to the right aa aa ha..!”) until the next Diwali.:boo:
    I’m only partly to be blamed because its mostly my mom and aunt who keeps telling me that I look pale and feed me more, saying, this is the age to grow, although they don’t try to buy my point that after certain age, people only grow horizontally and not vertically!:bonk
    I just had a chat with my aunt. She is all set to prepare my favorite sweet this Diwali and excited that I am going to spend this Diwali with them.

My nostalgic mind travelled back to when I was 4-5 years. We had been to aunt’s place for Diwali that year and stayed over there for a week. Evening snacks time meant milk along with sweets and savories. One fine evening, my mom and aunt was chatting with neighbor while my cousin sister went to the music class. I was feeling bored and not knowing what to do, I kept nudging my mom for something to eat (time-pass you see!). My aunt swiftly directed me to the container in the kitchen which had the savories.
    I tried opening the lid with my tender hands but it was too tight. So, I rolled the container, hit it on the nearby wall and then I sat on it, just to get a good grip of the container and tried to pull off the lid and finally I did succeed with both the lid and me falling off. What can dampen the spirit of a little girl whose only aim seemed to be munching the savories?
    The oily smell from the container set me thinking on what I could possibly do to make it smell rose. :goodidea:I went straight to the bed room, took my uncle’s perfume and sprayed it onto every single savory in the container. By the time, I did it, I had forgotten my hunger and placed the perfume back in its place.
    My cousin came back from music class and went to take her share of snacks. She smelled something fishy. No No... I mean perfumy... I did confess that I sprayed perfume but wasn’t I logically right in favoring the savories smell fresh?doh1

-- Appu

6 people like this.

2. Sun18

Sun18 Gold IL'ite

Hi my sister,

I'm laughing and wondering that whether you really did this. If you did so, really you have succeeded in giving them a smell fresh.

But looking at the consequences is what makes me really shocked - whether any of them or you had this after your 'freshness adding' incidence lol.

that symbols you use is really great. awesome - as it looks to me so at least. :)

Expecting more hilarious posts from you very often henceforth.

yours,
    Chitti.

1 person likes this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Lol :):):):):)

Wow what an imagination - great innocent act of yours V'

Lucky that no flies were there and rightly a pif-paf would have replaced the perfume :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh boy appu! You have done it all, from the power of three to a baby kalidasa to changing the scent of a savory!!! But first things first, I have to protest and say in support of your mom and aunt - growth is growth, horizontal or vertical! How else can every one feel good during the festival season with all the yummy sweets around and not to talk of the holiday season we are going to get bombarded here with - halloween, thanksgiving and christmas. When we have music to dance to and a full year like you said to work on that weight gain, why shouldn't we eat to our heart's content, just making sure that oil and ghee smell stays intact on the savories, however awesome that smell of roses.

Happy Deepavali to you and your family. Have a blast!

1 person likes this.
  5. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

OMG! Appu...This is super hilarious.
    Rose flavored savories - Vah what culinary sense you had then? :rotfl
    You would added a dash of talcum powder, smeared some shampoo, dabbed some uncle's shaving lotion..y did you spare them? you would have made the best aromatic savories ever. Hehehe...
    What's for this Diwali? Rose perfumed Rasgullas eh? I mean rose essence ma..:wink:

Have a great great Diwali, happy munching! guilt-free Diwali.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vittala

Vittala Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitti,
    Thanks for stopping by.
    ha ha. I did it.. Dint think as to perfumes were meant only for humans. And, the scented savories, landed safe in dustbin. :)

--Appu

7. Vittala

Vittala Gold IL'ite

Dear GG,
    Thanks for stopping by and your FB.
    True, that there weren't flies around. I think, God saved the flies.. :)

-- Appu

1 person likes this.
  8. Vittala

Vittala Gold IL'ite

Dear Srama,
    Thanks for gracing the thread with your FB. True, its time of the year to put the weight gain guilt at the backburner and enjoy the moment with family. Sweets, savories and yes, the rose smell too but just as flowers.
    Thanks for your lovely Diwali wishes. Wishing you and your family a Happy Diwali toofriendssmiley

-- Appu

9. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Really good V!

This reminds me of Goundamani and Senthil comedy ( tamil comedians) . Goundamani would be having a sweet stall. He would keep using fan to chase the flies. He would ask Senthil to take care of the store. Senthil on deep thinking would relate it that to keep the sweets fresh and free from flies he would spray the cockroach spray. There would be lots of vasool that day. Later people would complaining saying that after eating his sweets people fell sick. Finally Goundamani would get thrashed!

1 person likes this.
  10. Vittala

Vittala Gold IL'ite

Dear Neetu,
    Thanks for your lovely FB. Do you still think I am let to the kitchen to try my hands on variety of dishes anytime, let alone during the festive times.. laugh1smiley
    Oh, buddy! why did this idea of dashing them with soap, shampoo and then give them a glam look, never crossed my mind..!! thinkingsmiley
    Thanks for your Diwali wishes and Happy Diwali to you and your family,dearhugsmiley

--Appu