1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MRP - Maximum Retail/Recommended/Ransom Price

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Oct 15, 2014.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

MRP - Maximum Retail/Recommended/Ransom Price

What is usually the retail or recommended price becomes the ransom price during calamities.

The hudhud cyclone in Vizag recently and the prices of essential commodities like water and other consumables were at a ransom price - the media is full of these news.

When people are in adverse situation, there are a few who take advantage of that situation. The humanity in them is great, don't you think so???

What are the consumer forums, the government and the manufacturers do about it?

Do they take a share and that is why there are no control measures implemented?

Or is the MRP only applicable during normalcy and during calamities it becomes ransom price?

On the other side collections/donations/funds are contributed by people/organizations and government to distribute essential commodities on foc basis.

Why can't action be taken against these retailers for such inhuman activities?

It is not that all retailers bring in goods at a higher cost by taking greater risk and sell at a higher price to recover the costs, during such calamities.

They sell the stock that they hold already at a higher price, isn't it?

Hoarding essential commodities and selling at a higher price is punishable by law.

Bringing humanity back in to human beings is the biggest calamity, hence the law can at least take action against these activities which can prevent these from happening time and again.

This would prevent retailers from taking people for ransom. Hope the government does something about it soon.

8 people like this.

2. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

A lot is argued around the demand and supply of consumer products that attribute to price inflation during calamities.
    On that line, sometimes prices are hiked to discourage hoarding by the people. Like the lucky ones(first come first serve basis) tend to buy more than they really need. These “just In case” purchases where they buy extra packets of milk or extra loaf of bread could exacerbate a shortage to an extent. In contrast, hiking of price will make consumers think twice before buying extras or hoarding. But again this is just the other side of the coin. Retailers generally would love to go into profit making “make hay while there is sunshine’ strategies during such disasters.
    To contain this swindling, government should come strong with stringent “Price gouging” laws to curb price increases during such times. I have heard in US, there are laws that maximum price increase should not go beyond 10% during or after emergencies. Do we have such laws here? I’m really not sure.
    If we talk from the humanitarian side, don’t we see looting, ransacking and plundering of the stores during earthquakes? So there is no end at all.

GG, serious one this time eh? good good..

2 people like this.
  3. GoogleGlass

N' you are right a law has to be enforced to control this inhuman activities.

1 person likes this.
  4. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

GG...now this is a twisty post from you unlike the previous :)
    "Bringing humanity back in to human beings is the biggest calamity" " - this caught my eye...so true and well said...wish our world was a better place to live in...let's hope one day it will be..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

A very sensible post, and i agree with u totally. Ransom? HAHA

So now if we have bisleri water at 15 bucks, then there must also be mentioned the Ransom price too, as u suggest.HAHA

But this is no laughing matter, people do take care of the misery of others. These are times to give awa free , instead of charging a premium. For example auto and taxi chaps must take stranded people, to hospitlals railway stations, for free.

When i was in Tata Hospital, Mumbai , undergouing chemotherephay some thime back, i saw some wonderful things and people. There were buses, outside Tata, which would ferry people /patients free to dadar railway station, from where they could take the train to whereever they wanted, all free.Same way return buses.

And in the early morning, groups of volunteers having stalls of food, outside tata, shops bing closed at 6 am, and hot breakfast, like puri bhaji, tea, etc served free of cost, from well to do people, and i and wife were so touched, that there aer such people who care , still exist ?

Adn then , as u said there are these ransom people. World consists of all sorts GG.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. GoogleGlass

Well noticed S7 - thank you. Hope so...

7. GoogleGlass

There are good and equally bad too Kamalji. At times like this, actually how could they even think of behaving so inhumanly???

8. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

true, your concern is a matter of real serious concern!
    but who has to be concerned, are least concerned about this concern of yours..
    this is exploitation and opportunistic behaviour of inhuman human beings.
    i think a revolution should evolve! but, still i doubt...

you are so good in serious matters too. Good and Great!

1 person likes this.
  9. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Where is the twist scorps? :shock: :roll: I thought this was his rare straight one.

3 people like this.
  10. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Yep..it's a twist cos this one is straight :wink:

3 people like this.