1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher Test 2014 - Low Scores - 03rd Consecutive Year

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Saisakthi, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Teacher Test throws up low scores

It is the Teaching fraternity who teaches and mentor students to become other professionals, but sad it has become another Job, the passion and the nobleness being lost.

The General laments we hear from teachers who prepare for these eligibility exams are:
    (1) There is not enough preparation otherwise we would have cleared (So what do they do everyday in class, the Subject exam covers the same syllabus, so it is accepted by the Teachers that they themselves are not doing well in the class and hence need more preparation, Then what about Students :confused2:)

(2) The Exam paper was out of syllabus, for instance it should have been from 8th Std but most Questions were from 9th Std (As a teacher of high school how does that matter if it is 08th/09th or 10th:idontgetit:)

(3) We have scored well in our subject papers, but Language (or Psychology paper) was tough (Language is either the medium of instruction right from your school days and in your career also it is used everyday and needs to be prepared for writing essays and answering Grammer Questions, Sounds Odd)

(4) Many more, the inference is their own learning is comparatively low though the possess the UG/PG/ B Ed/ some senior faculty even Ph.d, thus it is observed that the Certificate possessed in just the outcome of memorizing capacity* of each student but not the knowledge

* Exception of those Cream of the Layer Students who are themselves intelligent, who have the affordability to either go for Coaching/Tuition/ learning through siblings or parents/watched closely for their performance - a negligible %

TET Results 2012 / 2013

The highest pass percentage in the Central Teacher Eligibility Test has hovered around 10-11 per cent, nationally (Source The Hindu dated 13th Oct)

Poor performance of candidates in the Central Teacher Eligibility Test, whose results were announced recently, has once again raised questions on the state of teacher education.

The test, introduced to bring in national standards in recruitment of teachers for classes I-VIII after the enactment of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009, has consistently thrown up low scores with the highest pass percentage hovering around 10-11 per cent, nationally.

In the September test conducted by CBSE, nationally, 11.95 per cent of the candidates cleared Paper I, meant for teachers intending to teach classes I-V.
    In Paper II, meant for those intending to teach classes VI-VIII, just 2.8 per cent of the candidates passed the muster nationally. Candidates have to score 60 per cent and above to get the eligibility certificate.

Quality concerns
    V. Sivaji, former principal of Kendriya Vidyalaya, Island Grounds, said teachers would do well if they were better prepared.

Educationist Anil Sadgopal, however, said the results are indicative of the poor quality at a majority of schools, colleges, universities and teacher education institutions, where these teachers are educated and trained.

He also calls it ‘one kind of benchmark that assesses a so-called ideal teacher as conceived by the ruling elite for the global market’.

He called for sensitising teachers to the economic and socio-cultural conditions of children who fall outside this bracket, such as those from dalit and tribal communities.

In Chennai, 1,035 candidates had registered for Paper I and 2,763 candidates for Paper II. It is mandatory for teachers to clear the CTET for appointment in classes I to VIII in central government schools.

Thanks for patiently reading, SAIRAM

2 people like this.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:thankyou2: for 100+ Readers (shakehead No Viewers ) with no Fbs or Likes,

Every Industry be it Entertainment, Communication, Automobile, Textiles, you name any have seen avalanche change, but Education Industry in terms of Knowledge sorrysmileyit still needs a long way to go (we talk about a larger group)

SAIRAM

3. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Very true,Saisakthi sister. If the foundation itself is weak,how will the building stay strong and not collapse?!
    In my school years,I rarely remember a teacher who was able to explain the concepts and make the students really understand and love the subject. My science teacher used to come in to the class with the guide books and dictate questions and answers from them,saying that it was enough for us to know the answers to those questions that come in the board exams!

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear madam,
    Your anxiety is well founded. Teacher's job is the least preferred one and most of the people at a higher intellectual level, who are sure to meet the requirements ,enter into business house , banks or other financial institutions and academics is not the preferred choice.
    Those who are not selected in other fields enter this noble profession.
    What more can be expected of them?

Jayasala 42

5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Those days are gone SS - ladders were seen as leaders.

Like J2 said - now for many it is the least preferred profession.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014