1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Neither!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Oct 6, 2014.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

They all were there, out of the blue, not complaining even once about where they were. It felt so good just seeing them there. There were all the folks whom you have seen and met and some of those you even played too during those glorious younger days and later with your second or third generation. It was neither a parade nor a procession, but the arrangements were all there, complete with all the necessary adornments and of course the most important of all, the smile and the enthusiasm they all had. And not forgetting to add, the timelessness that went with it.

It all started with the insects, birds and reptiles first and the twin reptiles that had intertwined beautifully, leaving you confused to figure out where each had actually started and ended. Then came the men and women in various social strata, right from the beggar, the washerman [who seemed to push his small and rarely seen of late donkey hard] and the snake charmer whose rippling muscles and shining turban were contradictory. Next came the idly selling woman who had her stainless steel idly cooker open, revealing the superb white rice cakes a.k.a. idlis, ready to serve. Interestingly, she had worn a silk sari with her bun having a clip that glittered. Next stood that vendor who was tall, dark and had a basket on top, selling pears. His confident smile and firm foot indicated that he is self righteous and he was all optimistic about that day. Then I turned to see the makeshift forest where the tiger and cheetah stood next to the deer and rabbit, drinking water from a 'pond'. That triggered a thought of Sringeri where the snake had provided the shade to a frog in hot summer, a story that is said as the reason behind Sankara to choose that divine place.

The plants were all there in sparse and I could find some monkeys lurking in and was engrossed when seeing one of those immersed in what looked like some deep thought. Monkeys and meditation? Yes and you know about that too. Then I saw them - those about whom there is a lot of information, be it on how they looked, what they did and are doing now and the effect of their deeds. All of them had been smiling, adorn in some golden jewellery, some of which are weapons that they were associated with. Each had actually evoked a respect and peace too in spite of having a weapon. They never intimidated me at all. Then came the families, one by one, complete with the kids and even their vehicles. It was curious to see that chubby boy to have a rodent shaped vehicle and the tiny one, a many hued bird.

The ladies came next, the one who attracted the most was playing the instrument, radiating more peace and melody. The other two looked upon you, ready to answer if only you ask. Then came that lazy fellow, who lied in that lovely odd bed [such a rare cot that I had never seen elsewhere] with his wife waiting for him to be up. Then came those eight rich sisters and ten men, some of them wearing a mask or had other odd dresses that characterized them much. The best of all, in my opinion, was the one who was in no way superior to others whom I described till now. In fact she had the least jewels upon her, a necklace and just one bangle on each of her slender hands, but what moved me so much was this: The mother's eyes that, since time immemorial, and will continue to be this way too, upon all her children without bias and her right hand that always served food to all. Yes. There was still some food left in the golden ladle that was firmly held in her extended hand. She ensures that those who come to her, never went bereft of anything!

Perhaps there is one similarity between all of them and me, I felt. They are not the ones who are always there and were packed and stacked in boxes, having only those insects for company in the attic. Neither will they be kept in showcases, for they occupy more [than the] space. So they come out once a year in general, entertain and leave, wishing us the best. I felt the same in this respect, not being associated with rich and famous, neither in the so called poor and insignificant, and just lie somewhere in the middle, as always, unable to mingle in any crowd, and to my horror, even with folks of my stature too.

But I will leave without creating an impact, to a place unseen, unlike them.

6 people like this.

2. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

before i begin, rgs, is it about Golu bommais you are talking abt? ( see i didnt say mentioning but Talking, because such a nice narration it was)

the first para reading made me thought it was about my favourite topic (death, beacause that is theonly unadulterated reality), then went on and was disappoitnted at the last line of the first para, people being happy.

then the further reading intrigued me, could not make out anything, then the understaning opened up

Appa, i thought i understood,

pakkalam unga reply ennannu?

warm wishes

2 people like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

Yes Kalpavriksham. It is about those different Golu dolls. You are right. And smart too!
    I thought it was a bit too obvious hence did not reveal it much. Just for those who might find this difficult to get the 'cryptic' ones:
    Meditating monkey - Hanuman in such a pose
    Lazy fellow lying -Vishnu reclining in Ananda sayanam - on the Adhisesha, the snake
    Goddess with the golden ladle - Annapoorani
    Eight rich women - The ashtalakshmis
    10 men - Dasavathar - 10 avatars of Vishnu.

I guess the others are easy. Thanks for the quick feedback. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  4. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

That was too modest of you Rgs to say you left without creating an impact, - "No It was an esthetic display of some exquisitely crafted words which only beautifies the indigenous minds like you, so haven't gone unseen but have craved a niche for yourself. :thumbsup
    Very Beautiful one!

3 people like this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

This line is in bold and in italics - what more an impact can anybody leave in the minds of the readers RGS? :):):)

Each individual leaves an impact with an intensity that he could most possibly give with in the environment he/she moves in. That impact being felt by not felt by is down to the other individual's responsiveness to the emotional attachment developed mutually.

Cheer up RGS.

2 people like this.
  6. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

The composition was something different from your earlier one's ,nice rgs...

2 people like this.
  7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Parineetha for your appreciation. I felt so happy reading your feedback. The lamenting tone in the end is due to the mindset at that time when the dolls were picked up to be stacked again in the attic. It was more on a child's disappointment. But there is also another big angle which I will be explaining down there in my response to GG. Thanks again. -rgs

1 person likes this.
  8. rgsrinivasan

GG, First thanks for your assurance and support buddy. The question that I raised and the impact that I intended reflected the mindset that I had upon completing that piece which was written after the dolls were packed. Besides, there is another subtler thing to it - the realization of what you are right now when compared to where you thought you would be, could be daunting at times and leave you with a disappointment. And thats not particularly to me too. Though bordering on self pity, it is the statement born out of a conclusion that this is it. Lets face it!

Cheers! -rgs

1 person likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Kishoreg, for your appreciation and observation. :) -rgs

1 person likes this.
  10. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

What a beautiful five steps Golu of thoughts on Golu dolls! The last line is so modest and melancholic.

Enjoyed your creativity as usual.

1 person likes this.