1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Heaven On Earth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by stillwaters, Oct 3, 2014.

1. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

It was my cousin sister Preeti’s wedding reception
    I was standing with my plate in a line at the buffet table with my eyes on the gulab jamun bowl at the end of the table .

I counted 1 2 3 4 ……………16 places to reach my goal.

What is this ? Who is this who is piling up her bowl with them ? Doesn’t she know they are bad for health?

I leaned sideways to see better . Oh Ragini , she seems to be taking advantage of her position as the bride’s sister. Maybe she is taking for all her friends ? Not fair . What about us who have been waiting impatiently in the line ?
    Good she is moving on .

I looked at her green anarkali with a tiny smile . I had received more admiration for my peacock blue chaniya choli which made her sulk and me preen over myself . I looked down at my dress once again with a triumphant expression. I had succeeded in taking my revenge from her for stealing the limelight in my brother’s wedding.

Next in line was my aunt – my father’s sister and my favourite . The one who got me hooked on to the gulabjamuns. I am ready to swear on anything that no one in the world can make better gulabjamuns than her.
    She’s been my friend and confidante since I was a preschooler. Being hugged by her gives a feeling of getting entangled in a soft warm quilt . Just the memory of it makes me feel safe and secure.
    She was my spy who brought me information about Ragini’s dress.

I noticed she took two -it’s ok . it’s allowed for her .

I watched with apprehension as her husband approached the bowl. He is known for his large portions. My heart beat had just started accelerating when I gave a sigh of relief . My aunt , my very dear aunt, turned and pulled him away from the table , reminding him of his diabetes. I made a mental note to give her two kisses for her action.

My brother’s 6 year old just passed the bowl without looking at it . From now on Abhi you are my favourite nephew – a big chocolate bar will be your treat.

Rani , his sister picked two as I looked at the dwindling numbers in dismay.

My cousin’s maternal uncle , Gopu mamu ,picked one and directly stuffed it into his mouth . He was a giant of a man and was the whole sole in charge of all food arrangements. He looked proudly at my cousins father , my chachu , next to him and served him four jamuns while extolling the virtues of the soft sweet jamuns .

It is a double torture watching them disappear and listening to the description without getting to lay a hand on them.

1 2 3 4 …………………….. no I am unable to count the remaining ones in the bowl.

Tap tap tap ………….. my feet are conveying my impatience .

I saw Raju , preeti’s 18 year old brother and his friend trying to catch the attention of a lovely young girl standing behind my chachu. She was an unknown entity to me. I ran my eye over her critically . Well-dressed but not fashion conscious – my conclusion. I could see she was well aware of Raju’s efforts and was avoiding them studiously. I remembered similar incidents from my college days and smiled . At another time I would have been interested to see how things proceeded but right now with my jamuns beckoning invitingly and dwindling alarmingly I could not concentrate on anything else.

Chachu made way for the girl who I was happy to see picked one jamun delicately .

I was happier to see raju and his friend following the girl , forgetting about the gulabjamuns.

My dad just picked one and my mother by passed them – dear people .

Preeti’s mom also followed suit , too distracted and stressed to have any interest in food.

I gave a sigh of relief , now my brother , my sil and then finally my turn.

Krishna , preeti’s elder brother and in charge of the gulabjamun bowl was well aware of my mental state. He winked at my brother and both started making elaborate selections of which jamuns should be served to my brother .

My sil took pity on me and pushed me ahead .

Aah …. Finally my turn .

Krishna served four jamuns for me in a bowl as I put my plate forward.

I looked at my plate with surprise . Mysteriously , during my journey towards the gulab jamuns my plate got filled with puris , pulao , matar paneer , alu kurma ,raita and pickle , leaving no space for the gulabjamun bowl. I pushed aside puris and made space.

I moved away from the table and found an empty chair.

Finally…………….

I picked up a jamun and put it in my mouth and promptly got drowned in the pleasant sweet soft gustatory sensations that filled my being.

Who says heaven is in Kashmir ?

It is right here in my plate .

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    15 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha - you are SW or SGJ :)

Your journey to the gulab jamun was hilarious :):):)

(thanks N' for spotting the error) :)

3 people like this.
  3. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

hey stillwaters,

Liar..liar..Heaven was not in your plate..Heaven was in your mouth..No cheating OK :wink:
    If Krishna's mouth had Universe, Your mouth had Gulab Jamun, Btw how many was there? :)))
    Now my tongue is craving for Gulab jamun topped with Kajar ka Halwa topped with Vanilla Ice cream. yumsmiley..Wow!
    BTW, loved your writeup..

3 people like this.
  4. parineetha

GG, What is SGB? thinkingsmiley

2 people like this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

still gulab jamun - it's actually SGJ - i was carried away by the virtual taste and erred :):):)

1 person likes this.
  6. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

thanks gg - preference should have been for sgb - didn't strike me when i chose my id.
    but then if i had chosen sgb i could never aim for a mind set of sw. how could i with my mind going round the gb all the time.
    thanx again for the prompt fb.

seems i also got carried away and did not notice the difference . that is what happens to me with gb around..

2 people like this.
  7. parineetha

Still waters,

He meant SGJ, but still in gulab jamun hallucination that he typed it wrong.
    Now GG and U, come back to your senses...
    See me, though intoxicated in taste of Gulab Jamun, I'm in my senses.

3 people like this.
  8. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

hi neetu,

my mouth had the ultimate nirvana . that is how i would wish to pass on to the other world ( only when the time comes - it's good to clear just so that god does not have a misunderstanding ).

in that state could i really count ?

thank you for your quick fb.

9. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

neetu from now on you are my guiding light when i am around gb.

and , btw , i am sure krishna had never tasted gulabjamuns . if he had we would be reading he had a gb in his mouth and not the universe.

1 person likes this.
  10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

SW,

What a mouthwatering journey!! I was there beside you drooling all over in anticipation of the gulab jamuns!!

Delicious narration :)

2 people like this.