1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dhak Dhak! I went...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by parineetha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Okay! Listen Neetu, “Shall we dance for our School cultural’s, you decide the song this time, OK eh?” yelled my friend, calling the landline phone at 10pm.
    “No way..just get lost, she will kill me…I hushed on the phone and hang up to see if my Amma was looking at me. :roll:
    And there she caught me again; stopped clearing the dining table to look at the wall clock giving a corner eye stare at me.
    “What do you have Neetu to yak so much allllll the time on the telephone? I keep hearing that you are jabbing in school as well and again here on phone? With a frown on her face “Grow up Neetu, Xth Board exam is not a joke”.
    Yea Amma I know “See, I worked out algebra today at home” told a big fat white lie and was already planning at the back of my mind, what do I do if she asks me to show the notebook.
    Thank God, she did not but her archanai’s kept coming “I never had to tell anything to your sister (elder). She did everything on her own, but you don’t do anything, spite of me shouting all the time. Seriously my BP is shooting up Neetu seeing you so lethargic”.

Why did that stupid call me this time making my life miserable and my Devi Mata is in full form, I cursed my friend will all my heart. Pretending a long face, assuring Amma that I’ll be a little responsible from now on, I quietly left the place.

I have to tell about my younger sis, she is 2 yrs younger to me, so was more or less like me; actually she followed me religiously. We did all naughty things together- less study, more fun. Inside the room, she was giggling at me, closing her mouth. “whaat d hell? You too”, I was irritated even more.
    “C’mon Neetu, cheer up! Why feeling bad, this is not the first time OK?” still teasing me sounding as if she’s comforting me.
    That night, we laughed...we gossiped…we went to bed.

Next day at School, Big plans were on for the Inter-school culturals. Being in X std, very few people participated and my gang of friends were those very few. My friends were brats, so they never considered my excuses and pulled me in. It was like, even at our homes they won’t allow so why are you alone making such a big fuss? We’ll plan out everything A- Z so that you won’t get caught at home, my best friend promised. OK Fine, I agreed.

The plan was to practice dance after school and the place will be my friend’s house terrace. It was for next 5 days, so I was told to tell Amma that we have special class after school for 2 hrs. Weekends will have to gather at another friend’s place to arrange costumes and we are supposed to be doing combined studies then. Everything was pakka, we had very good practice and all set for the big day.

I left very early that morning, packing my ghagras, big jhumkas, neck jewelry, glass bangles, anklets in school bag. A little later we realized I had forgotten the Jhumar (jewel that adorns the hair) at home, so rang up home asking my sister to bring it from the almirah without Amma’s knowledge. Beautifully decked in ghagras, all five of us were ready in the back stage for our slot to perform.
    A class mate of mine was instructed to play the tape recorder and was next to the podium.

Turn came; All of us positioned at the front stage back facing the audience, me in the middle, the curtain to be raised, music to be played, my class mate came running to the back stage to say my Amma is sitting in the first row with the principal. Witsend
    I literally wanted to put everything down and run away from the stage, what will happen if she sees me dancing for an item song, above all the big tales that I have been telling for last one week. Morning also when I rang up home, I asked her for my sister telling she would have to bring my record notebook. Even then, my friends were giving silly ideas, she won’t find you with these make up. You dance keeping the Ghoonghat(veil that covers the head) close to your eyes, hiding your face. “What? Am I in Suhag Raat(Wedding night) or something to hide my face in Ghoonghat, shut up am going“ I made up my mind to run away.

Tan-tan-dan.......
    Music started to play ’Tu..tu.tu.tu…..
    Where to run after that, blinking with a big grin on my face, I slowly lifted the ghoonghat and there my Durga Mata giving dharshan right in front of me trying hard to smile.:shaking:The Principal being extra sweet to the pediatrician who does free medical camp for our students was pointing me to Amma “There! there Neetu is…” :hide:

“Wow! Principal Madam, Thank u so much! Evening she will invite you for the football camp at home and I will be kicked royally” What else can I think of at that time????
    So that’s how the dance party ended at school and another party kicked off at home…LoL.

Amma being the PTA chairperson as well, Princi had invited her to visit sometime during the cultural week. Acutally she had forgotten about the invite, but the principal being very nice, had rang up again since its the last day… What do you call this????

Aha! I never told the song which got me all the glory: here you go Madhuri Dixit Item Song - YouTube

2. parineetha

OMG! lost my last para.

Few years after that, recently we danced for this song again with my niece from my younger sister’s Mehandi function. Why would she scold now, this time only happy memories, made my Amma to shake her legs as well. I’m a person who strongly believes “Live life fully while you’re here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You’re going to anyway, so you might as we enjoy the process.

1 person likes this.
  3. kishoreg

kishoreg Gold IL'ite

Someone is mischievous here :) , beautiful narration of the childhood experiences in a pleasant way..good one Neetu...

1 person likes this.
  4. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Very nicely written:)

1 person likes this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

a2 + b2 = (a + b)2 − 2ab

a = item song
    b = bluff

while you are expected to be algebraic - you are lethargic but in dance & bluff - you are energetic :)

Had great fun reading, as great as the fun you had N' :)

1 person likes this.
  6. parineetha

Shhhh! :shhh: public public....
    Hehehe..Tat's OK Kishore..I have been mischievous all my life..:wink:
    What's the big charm in being so prim and proper??? Life has to be a little spicy. :-D
    Thank you for your nice words. Very happy!

1 person likes this.
  7. parineetha

Many thanks Catgol for taking time to read my ramblings and liking it as well. :)))))

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Neetu very lively narration.Durga Matha dharshan and foot ball camp is super.

2 people like this.
  9. parineetha

Am stumped! why GG Y? Nalla dana poitu eruku?
    Don't you know I'm allergic to algebric things? :rantY reminding all that A's now :wink:
    Thank you so much! Its all always so much FUN to read your replies.

1 person likes this.
  10. parineetha

Hehehe..Thanks a lot periamma for the kind words.
    Durga Mata was at her best that day. player(amma) got yellow card from referee(dad) and I escaped.