1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some days are like that only.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]As I log in my longest run ever, I realize I had begun to repeat "Mind over matter, mind over matter". How many times have I not heard people say that after a certain mile, it is all in the mind. But all I can remember is Twain, yes the one and only Mark speaking of the same thing in reference to age thus - "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you do not mind, it does not matter!" I realize that I have to work harder to bring my mind back to focus trying to accomplish the run I have set out to do, not worrying about the age or the other numbers....errr runners. Oh Mr.Twain! I mind and it matters!

As I (?) continue to push my mind to focus, I am, out of nowhere reminded of a conversation from a book -

"Are aliens smarter than us?"
    "Not at all. They have a long way to go to attain the level of man...."
    "well, how can they be less smart than us if they can do things Man can't do yet?"
    "What is so surprising about that? Bees too make incredible structures out of natural materials, including whole ventilation and heating systems, but that does not mean they are superior to Man in intelligence. In this Universe, there is no one and nothing stronger than Man except God"

I cannot help but think that how easily we put our blinkers on, making assumptions and undermining our own innate ability to be the humans we were meant to be, not to be better than someone or something else but to be the best of what we can be, as individuals! As I continue to think, I realize that my coach is waaay ahead of me and unless I bring that mind back to the task on hand, I won't be able to keep up with her. Finally I begin to see the one point meditative state that people claim they feel when they run. One cannot allow mind to wander, no way if there is a destination in mind!

As I sit nursing my sore muscles, suspecting even a stress fracture, my mind is not able to contain the excitement it continues to feel. I am not sure if it is the excruciating pain I feel in the legs, the excitement of the Dussehra festivities, of having some friends over, that speech of Narendra Modi that I am watching with an ice pack around my leg, the thought that I should actually be attending a friend's dance performance instead, the surprisingly awesome spring like day with just the perfect temps, or that awesome Sunrise I could experience early in the morning and my most favorite song playing in the background, summing up perfectly the feelings I am going through with a simple "Aaaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai.....", but the plethora of sensations I feel are very overpowering.

I realize that I am not able to handle it all and I need a break, a good break from my over stimulated brain and as I close my eyes, all I see that baby pink balloon - yes the very same pink balloon that my DD had so happily got from her friend's birthday party, a couple of years ago. As we stepped out into the cold, snow covered yet clear February morning that day, all I remember is that balloon some how escaping my DD's hand and flying off into the skies, making a wave as it flew higher and higher, making me wonder about the freedom it is experiencing and the destination it might reach, the path it might take; all I could feel was pang as well as a sense of freedom and a clear moment of clarity. I have not had yet another clear moment of bliss than that morning and the feeling is clear still in me. With tears in my eyes but a with smile on my face, as I looked down at my DD, I realized that she was filled with tears too, but for a different reason. The mother in me took control immediately and we were back inside requesting a new balloon!

I look at my DD who is sitting with us, not understanding a word of what Modi is saying playing on her tablet, thinking of the balloon, thinking of the intensity of my day and all I can feel is....some days are like that only! Thank God, I have that pink balloon in my mind to help me through when I most need it! [/justify]

10 people like this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    You have a mind that thrives on its staple diet of romantic thoughts. When others merely observe, you fantasize. From a jogging track, you leap to the immense possibilities of mind over matter. It is your fertile mind that makes you think that man has the most superior intelligence among all the living things. I have no issues with your putting down bees despite their superhuman (!) efforts but from Valmiki to Aldous Huxley, they were willing to concede that man might not be the ultimate in intelligence. Jambavan of Valmiki and the Apes of Huxley have awed humans with their intelligence. I’ll not talk about aliens here for we have just successfully reached Mars at about the normal fare of an auto rickshaw though it had taken as much time as an auto to reach that planet!

When I read these lines of yours, not to be better than someone or something else but to be the best of what we can be, as individuals, I cannot help marveling at how obsessed you are with that freak of a Seagull! This seems to be the most motivating Mantra that you have been following for your self-development. This is the meditative state that you feel when you run just as that bird felt when it flew! Scientists have conducted experiments on Lamas of Tibet to show how they could generate enough body heat through meditation to dry a wet loin cloth wrapped around them in temperatures of less than 0 degrees to establish the power of mind over matter.

So far so good! Now coming to the frightful future possibilities, the experiments that the scientists are conducting to find a cure for mental illnesses like Alzheimer’s have opened up the possibility of tinkering with the stored memories and related feelings of joy, anger, hatred etc. Fifteen years ago, the famous biologist Francis Crick declared that ‘ ‘you,’ your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the behavior of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules. As Lewis Carroll’s Alice might have phrased it: ‘You’re nothing but a pack of neurons.’! Our scientists have caught on to this idea. If we had the technology to rewire our brains to help remember certain things and forget others, it could help millions of people struggling with neurological conditions, from Alzheimer’s to post-traumatic stress disorder. But it also raises the frightening possibility — depicted over and over again in sci-fi — that someone would be able to use such technology to mess with people’s minds without their consent.

It looks certain that by the turn of the century, our minds will be programmed only to consider such agenda as may be good for us or good for a central administrator. Running in a jogging track and thinking fancy ideas may be a thing of the past! Let us enjoy, until that happens, all your romance of the mind!
    Sri

5 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

We waited patiently for your post this long and every minute of that wait is worth a lot! Mind over matter is discussed at both end of the spectrum from spiritual experts to Quantum Physicists. I always wonder when we experience pain or pleasure, whether it is the organ that feels it or the mind? There appears to be a great communication system that exists within us. Can mind function without the matter or can matter function without the mind? They appear to be closely connected with each other and are inseparable. What is coordinating the communion of these two great substances? There appears to be a coordinator who manages both of them whatever name we call it.

When the pink balloon flew high in the sky, what triggered you to feel blissful? Is that a realization that what is inside of that balloon is the same as what is outside of it? Is that a feeling that restraints that ties us to this body is in our hands and we can set ourselves free if we want to? Aren't we like a balloon without realizing we have the same elements that exist outside of us? What really overwhelms us and is that the feeling that we are this BMI (Body, Mind and Intellect)? Why don't we constantly enjoy that euphoria of feeling one with everything and everyone around us? It is worth investigating.

Like what Cheeniya Sir said, "not to be better than someone or something else but to be the best of what we can be, as individuals" is mind blowing statement. If this understanding happens around the world, Golden Era of peace would become a reality.

My son suggested that we should watch a movie called "Lucy" released in 2014 stating that I would really enjoy it. While he enjoyed the science in the movie, I walked away understanding a little more about the spirituality. A gang that smuggles synthetic hormone packs that inside of the stomach of Lucy, the heroine of the movie, and it gets accidentally released inside of her. She reaches 100% of her cerebral capacity with great powers and eventually eliminate the entire gang and finally becomes a person who exists everywhere.

We have already started genetically modifying the plants and animals and the days are not far off to try that out with humans as well. But somehow, I feel the forgetfulness and consciousness are gifts that we have for a reason. The creation is too perfect to be modified and why fix something that is not broken? Even though we aspire for a thoughtless state, thoughts are there for a reason. I would prefer to be the best I can be through my own individual effort within the parameters set. Let me learn to peacefully coexist with the nature that exist by my side. I have no use for a modified world and I prefer to change myself to realize my full potential. Let me feel one with the nature around me.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabs,

Sometimes we msut be a kid with a kid, and look at ballons, and look at their expressions as the balloons soars into the sky.Once it happened, the ballon left my daughters hand ahd soared, well quickly befoer se cried, i told my daughter, let us send another balloon after that ballon to tcatch him, which colour do u want to send, and she chose one colour, and she left that willingly, and i told her that ballon will catch and come home to us, while i quietly bought two ballons and keopt in the dicky, and at home told her , see they came back, and she said but they were different colours, how come these are different !!!

So kiddie stories with the kids, and i used to feel in a different world alotogether, along with stories telling them to put them to sleep.

Lovely blog, took me to the days when i used to look like Amitabh, and my daughters were kids then.HAHA

REgards

kamal

2 people like this.
  5. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Enlightening snippet and replies. I am grateful that I got to knew you all as I am learning tremendously. I wondered like Viswa sir, what made you feel connected. Thank you for this

love
    vani

1 person likes this.
  6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

When many days are like that for many of us, you should be happy that only some days are like that for you SR :)

Intellectuals would ponder "Mind over Matter", insaans like me wonder about "Mind over Matar (Paneer)" - food brings you back to the simple world. :)

A hungry stomach/mind drives people wild - stomach to me, mind to you. :)

Nice one SR.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My dear Saby,

First of all, Congratulation on being nominated to FP for this post by Viswamitra and Girvani! Will not be surprised if others follow suit!!!

The title is all wrong dear friend. You say some days are like that only. That may be more for people like me, that some days my brain perks up and tries to go beyond its usual lethargic limitations. But you, you are always up there somewhere?! Should I say you actually live in various levels..in clouds, in trees, in lakes and birds and wander off giving purpose to every existing piece of nature. Nothing ever just happens to you. You will go to the root of why it happened! :) Hence, it is every day that is like that only!

Amazing at to how many things can brighten up your day and the range of it is even more astounding to me! From a filmy song to the sunshine...where is the connect?! But then, if one's brain is as busy as your's , every little thing and the sky too matters!

Nice to see you here for if not for you, I may believe I function on a remote control! Its called mind Kamla, mind...!

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear srama,
    What a superb snippet entangling our minds into fascination !
    'Age is an issue of mind over matter'.
    I have read this on so many occasions. But today it started troubling me.As you said some days are like that. We start thinking about certain things and are unable to concentrate on anyother thing. My grandson came on skype. It is his 10th Birth Day.As I was thinking about your mail,I just replied that I was looking at the pink baloon that decorated his birthday party hall.
    " Don't bluff,Patti. What is the matter that troubles your mind so much?"the child asked. I was shocked with the usage of two words mind and matter.
    I simply came out of skype and started brooding.The first thought that came was about Bhaja govindam of Adi Shankara and his Advaita.As a septuagenarian ,that seemed more appropriate.

According to Advaita vedanta the mind is a subtle substance (dravya).
    The mind, which is called ‘internal organ’ (antaHkaraNam), is produced from the sattva part of all the five subtle elements together.
    It is known by four different names according to the function. The four names are-
    manas, buddhi, chittam and ahamkAra.

The function of cognition is known as the manas or mind.

When a determination is made, it is known as buddhi or intellect.
    The function of storing experiences in memory is called chittam
    Egoism is ahamkAra.

Chandogya upanishad says“The food that is eaten becomes
    divided into three parts. The grossest part becomes excreta. The medium constituent becomes flesh. The subtlest part becomes mind
    (antaHkaraNam)”.
    In his bhAshya on this mantra Shri Shankara says: “Getting transformed
    into the mind-stuff, the subtlest part of the food nourishes the mind.
    Since the mind is nourished by food, it is certainly made of matter."

Mind and matter-one and the same that is Advaita.

According to Buddhism, this world consists of mind and matter which work together, interdependently.
    Concurrently views expressed by Cheeniya Sir and Vishwamitra started gushing through.
    I decided " Let me be myself, be satissfied with limited understanding within the intelligible capacity of my own self and remain as innocent as your daughter enjoying colourful baloons as they are, without brooding over the freedom of baloons or the scientific reason thereofor.
    Simply enjoy and relax. That is the easiest part.
    I won't ask anyone whether mind and matter relate to one and the same and hereafter Mark's sayings may not have a mark on me.Thanks Srama for making me introspect about Advaitham?Have I confused you too?

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear racr, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you my friend for always being there :)

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

First of all a very Happy Dussehra to you. Now please accept my apologies for the delay in responding back - festival time no? But then on the bright side, this gave me an opportunity to think about your response, more :) And now, that freak of a seagull eh? Sir, you know well that it was you who drew my attention to the fact that I do that often and even now, without realizing I seem to do it. I tell you I wasn't thinking of him or his creator when I wrote this. Not that I don't think of them often, I do. They do after all make a huge part of my life.

Truth be told, I wrote about the bees sir, not with a sense of superiority (about human race) but with awe that while the bees can have this perfect system going on, imagine man who understands that. Don't you see the possibilities unlimited, the limits we place on ourselves by thinking that we should imitate those bees and feel superior. No sir, where has that feeling taken anyone anywhere anyways? A friend of mine shared this recently with me - A few scientists very happily went to God and showed him the man they had made using the sand on the beaches. God, smiled and said "Well done! Now, go get busy trying to make THAT sand"! That pretty much sums up for me. It is the awe and wonder and the possibilities that can take us higher, not the rest of it.

Just yesterday I was listening to a segment on radio about some intelligent computing where in the computer while doing the translations can pick the nuances from the native language of the speaker and translate using the 'a's and 'the's at the right place when people like us, the bi or multilingual ones process or translate to English.

Like you have rightly put, it is not what we can do but what we can do with what we learn or know - I clearly see the pitfalls but then sir how can we limit ourselves?

As always, I cannot close without thanking you enough, this time even more for I was and am indeed thrilled to receive a first feedback from you. Always such a pleasure to hear from you and oh those monks....I need to learn some for I feel the chill in the air and all I do is get up, close the windows or draw that blanket closer. Wondering seems to come easy but I do love to live in a state of wonder, like you have said. Just that people should not assume that this cuckoo side is the only side of my existence - just that it helps me cope better with the other sides.

2 people like this.