1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Season of Chaiwallas

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Looks like it is the season of chaiwallas in Indian politics. Earlier Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister. Modi at his Madison Square Garden jamboree yesterday made it a point to imress on the massive gathering of NRIs that he had been a chaiwalla. Now O>Panneerselvam, a former teastall owner has become the chief minister of Tamil Nadu.

A question: If you cross Narendra Modi with Manmohan Singh what will you get? The answer is Panneerselvam. Like MMS, was the signora's front man Panneerselvam is Jayaalitha's benami after a special court sent her into the cooler for four years and slapped a massive fine of Rs 100 crores on her. And like MMS Omkarathevar Pannerselvam is a mild mannered man, a man of few words. If you have the bad habit of watching Tamil news channels you will find quite a few ministers giving speeches hosannaing Amma but you won't find OPS among them. A mouni baba like MMS? Quite likely And like Modi, he was deep in the tea business.

What qualifies Panneerselvam for his new job? For a start the CM's chair is not new for himl
    Earlier when Jaya was put behind bars the Supreme Court disqualified her as CM and it was Panneerselvam who sat in the CM chair. On her behalf of course.

Wait, did I say sat in the CM's chair? I He dared not! During his last term as CM OPS, made it a point not to sit in the chair used by Jaya. The chair remained where it was waiting for the "rightful claimant" to return while OPS officiated as CM sitting in some other chair. Kissa Kursi ka?

OPS is educationally better qualified than Jaya. He is a graduate at least (Some profiles credit him with a master's in economics.) whjile Jaya is just a matric. But Jaya has the sophistication gained from posh private schools while OPS the small town hick, looks rustic.OTS is known to steer clear of any controversy and confrontation. The last time AIADMK was in the opposition Jayalalitha decided not to attentd the assembly and Panneerselam became the leader of the opposition. But he woefully fell short of his role. Once when the speaker suspended the entire AIADMK legislature party Panneerselvam didn't even reaxct and it was the other MLAS who protested vociferously. Jaya had to come back and replace OPS in his post
    Despite his drawbacks, OPS has one strong point. He is unshakably loyal to Jaya. There is this apocryphal yarn that during a visit to Delhi he heard a beggar seeking alms saying "Amma, kuch paise dedhe". He was so moved by the word Amma that he handed a 1,000 rupee note to the beggar. He is that much what in Tamil is called iAmma kondu (for the Tamil challanged, it means mama's boy or Amma's boy).

Is there a chaiwalla network in Indian politics like the old school tie network? If there is one then Panneerselvam can use it to get the bet possible deals for the state.

4 people like this.

Similar Threads
    1. anika987
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ranchu
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. balakrish
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I just thought about the same thing [common between Modi and OPS] and shared that with my friends today, Balajee. And I see this here! Besides, do you know that he has a room in his house where there is a portrait of 'Amma' spanning the entire wall and he generally goes there in all four [on knees and hands] and prostrates before?

I remember reading this long back, after he was made the CM for the first time. -rgs

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

RGS while I don't know whether he had a portrait of Jaya in his home before which he genuflucted, it is an open secret that during his first tenure as CM he did not sit in Jaya's chair. (Some say he even kept a portrait of the lady in the chair).

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Tust u to come up witha great one as usual. Tea is the new flavour, way above coffee eh ! You know, one remark from Mani Shankar, about chaiwala, and all those chailwalas from all caste and creeds, along with their families and relatives voted for Namo. That included followers of Mayawati, and other leaders, u have brahmins as chaiwalas, u have SC ST, and all sorts.

But i was not aware of this new chap being a chaiwala, Hail Chaiwale eh ! HAHA

Regaerds

kamal

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

kamalji hope you are not regretng not becoming a chaiwalla. May be that would have propelled you ino Rajasthan CM's chair. Dont' worry. If it is chaiwalla season now it may be garment exporters' season tomorrow.

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Amma Chaai - probably OPS will launch soon - free for the poor :)

Nice one B'

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Google you should immediately patent Amma Chai. You can extract a lot of cash in royalties from the Tamil Nadu government.

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Dubbawallas in Mumbai were covered by BBC several years back to inform the world what a great network they have, to deliver food for lunch to several people in Mumbai. Now Chaiwallas are proving that they can rule the nation. Who can be next?

Modi at least is not a remote control whereas OP is a remote control for JJ. We can't put both of them in the same box.

GG, don't take the idea of Balajee to register patent for Amma Chai. Mannargudi Mafia might harass you to transfer the patent at no cost to them.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa the dys of mannargudi mafia are over with Sasikala and kin being sentenced in the case too. Even earlier they had been sidelined bh J. who once even framed her ex "adopted son' in a drug case. Googleglass I think should go ahead and patent names like Amma chai, Amma Theneer etc. When our"humble kisan" Deve Gowda became PM he slept through his term but Modi doesn't seem to be sleeping at all.

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That indeed is an interesting connection Balajee and it does look like a good idea to start a chaiwalla network in our political world - it is nice to see that no matter our beginnings, if one wants to climb there is a way. I did watch Modi;'s speech on Indian networks of course - quite an impressive orator :) Now time to look up OPS and see how he speaks - perhaps there is a connection with beginnings and speeches....