1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I have shed my tears

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Sep 20, 2014.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Mandolin Srinivasan's demise is a a great loss to the music fraternity and music lovers. His untimely death has created a great vacuum in the music field. May his soul rest in peace!

He was a child prodigy and performed first at the age of nine. I witnessed his performance at Jamshedpur during Sri Ramanavami celebration and he was a teen ager then.

He was the first to prove that mandolin could be used to play Carnatic music. He used to play melodiously and his fingers did magic in the strings.
    lots of musicians from all over the world as well as music lovers paid great tributes to him.

His personal life life was not happy at all. He was teaching music to students without taking fees. As I read all tributes by great people I have shed my tears and felt that was the tribute I paid for the great musician. Though he had left this world his music will be always reverberating.

4 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Pushpa Mami

Though I told not to give first fb but for this post I could not be without giving first fb. I was worried seeing your tittle what happened. Ya Mandolin's demise is a great loss but his music will be remembered by everyone. Glad you had the opportunity to listen to his Mandolin

May his soul rest in peace

3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

It's a great loss to the music world to lose such a great musician :((

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Though he left this world his Music will live for ever.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viji,
    Thanks for coming in and posting the first fb to this post though you have chosen not to give first fb henceforth.
    People love to receive the first fb from you and I feel there is nothing wrong of you in posting the first fb. Your enthu in giving fbs to all posts is welcomed by people.
    Love,
    PS

1 person likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear kcb,
    It is not only a loss to the Carnatic music world, He was famous for his fusion music also and so was famous all over the world..
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear periyamma,
    Yes. His music will live for ever and his name will also remain for ever.
    PS

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Pushpa Mami for the sweet message, My pranams to you

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS
    Yesterday I had to go to Besant Nagar crematorium twice, once in the morning to bid farefwell to an old Masonic friend of mine aged 87, an industrialist and a devout Vaishnavite by name Rangachari. In the afternoon, I went to attend the funeral of the much acclaimed Mandolin Srinivas who was just 45. I was there to pay my respects on behalf of my Sabha. Both died on Ekadasi and cremated on Dwadasi.

I encountered Srinivas first in 1992 when I went to his residence to fix his concert for the reception my first daughter's wedding. At that time his father did all the negotiation and Srinivas was just sitting there wearing his typically radiant smile. I met him several times over the years thanks to my association with a couple of music sabhas and his concert for the December season was a must for every sabha. He had been going through a lot of problems in his personal life but that radiant smile of his never left his face even in those harrowing circumstances.

In his short life of 45 years, he had served music for almost 40 years and the sublime moments of music that he produced from that small instrument remain etched in our hearts. Inscrutable are the ways of God, it is said. God has been more inscrutable in the case of Mandolin Srinivas than any other human being. He produced him as a child prodigy and let him light up all our hearts for 40 years with his enchanting music. But his own life remained in darkness without any music and to top it all, he was snatched away from us just at the prime of his career. I really cannot figure this out. Don't tell me about Karma. I have heard of it any number of times!

His cremation was a touching affair. The most poignant moment came when the drummer Sivamani landed there with his solo drum and with tears in his eyes produced a few melancholic beats that reverberated in our stricken hearts as the body of Srinivas was consigned to the flames. I have no doubt that Srinivas will rise like Phoenix again in the person of future prodigies and Music will continue to thrive!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Sorry to hear that yesterday twice you had to visit the Besantnagar crematorium to pay your respect to departed souls.
    Also glad to know you had the privilege of meeting Mandalin Srinivas many a time due to your association with the music Sabah for arranging his concert. He was not only a great musician but also a good human being with his humility and unassuming character.

I can still visualize his radiant smile and it is really a very sad thing that he was snatched away by the cruel hands of death at the prime of his career.

thanks for sharing your experience with the child prodigy's last rites though pathetic, in a way gave me a visible scene.

PS