1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not A Soul

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Soul is the flavour of the season on another site with everyone pontificating on the nature of soul , whether it exists or not and whether it merges with something /someone called God aka Universal Consciousness or pops from one body into another in transmigration /reincarnation.

Why, I suspect the site itself is concerned about souls. The guys there are worried about the souls in their flock being swept away to other networking sites. Otherwise how do you explain one competition following another with promises of attractive prizes?

My dad used to say that there is a 50-50 chance that there is a God .If there is no God fine, but God forbid, what if he exists and is a big egoistic bastard who can’t bear being ignored or see his existence denied? So it would be a good policy to butter him up now and then and not rub him the wrong way, dad said.

Same with the soul, dad said.. There is a 50-50 possibility that it exists. If it doesn’t and we are just biological machines no problem when we conk out because the soul won’t be judged, punished or rewarded by the Guy Upstairs (if He exists that is). But what if we have souls? The Almighty might hit back at us for ignoring and denying him and hurl us down the hell, to be fried or grilled over charcoal. Of course getting fried will give us a really nice golden look, but we may not enjoy the process of reaching that stage.

.I suspect majority of the theists belong to this 50-50 party. But I chose to ignore dad’s advice and deny the existence of the Guy Upstairs and the soul… A relative of mine threatened me with hell for my beliefs. I said I would welcome it because after reading Dante’s Divine Comedy I am convinced that if there is a hell, that’s where all interesting people would make a beeline for. The indifferent ones will go for therapy to purgatory where they will be turned into big bores before being dispatched to heaven. All nature born bores, of course, will head straight to heaven.. Well, you don’t have to be really interesting or bright to hosanna the almighty and do nothing else for eternity do you?

All religions take special care to ensure that their followers feel guilty at the drop of a hat.. Scriptures list even utterly ridiculous, minor actions as sins. I was fascinated with the listing of hells in the Hindu epic Vishnu Purana once. Believe me it has a really interesting list of tortures apart from being seekh kababed and deep fried. And the reason it gives for these tortures is even more interesting. For instance, a Brahmin who participates in a boxing or wrestling match or acts in a play has hell guaranteed for him unless he atones for it by making some fat fellow Brahmin or temple richer with donations.

I am sure if a Brahmin actor appears before almighty and protests that he /she acted in a movie and not in a play, the Guy upstairs (do I have to go on repeating the mantra “if he exists") would dismiss it as a mere technicality and send the poor chap on a permanent vacation to enjoy the tortures of hell with masochistic glee.

Oh actors landing in hell would really brighten it up.. There must be quite a lot of PYTs among them and you can have a gala time with them (Kamalji, stop licking your chops will you!!!!!!).. Now don’t ask the silly question what if they die of old age and land there in that condition. That is utter nonsense. Souls are supposed to be immortal and ageless..

Similarly, I would expect the playboy bunnies to queue up to enter hell because of their “sinful” life on earth.. That should turn hell into heaven.. Only Playboy boss Hugh Heffner shouldn’t land there. Or else the other guys won’t have any chance with the girls..The best thing would be to kick Heffner upstairs into heaven by hook or crook. Spending the eternity in heaven in the boring company of the likes of Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teresa instead of having a rollicking time with the bunnies would be real hell for him. He deserves that for his sins.

. Hey we have been talking about heaven and hell so far. But what about the reincarnation of souls?. Let us not jump around in pride claiming credit for the reincarnation idea. . Even in Greece Pythagoras came up with that concept.
    Yes, the same Pythagoras whose theorem was the recurring nightmare of umpteen geometry haters like me. (I do know that the square of the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. But why was I tortured by examiners who tried to force me into proving it?). I am sure Pythagoras along with his fellow geometry wizard and co-sinner Euclid would have taken several incarnations including that of hapless schoolkids facing the wrath of . their teachers for failing to prove the Pythagoras theorem because of the huge amount of bad karma they accumulated from the curses of generations of school students. If there is any justice in the world the duo would be trapped in this karmic cycle for ever without finding salvation.

.That’s all folks for the time being. Let us hope at least a few guys read this. It would be really bad if this is read by not a soul..

Report Abuse

5 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

I am with you B - hilarious one and it is a soup for the soul :)

I am with you am I soul mate? If it is with Kamalji I would be Glass mate :)

When the souls find a body to live in - won't they have fitment problems? after all buying a shirt & trouser causes hell a lot of problems, trial rooms are full :)

Theistic society would curse us the Atheistic to hell - see you their B' :)

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Allright Google see you in hell.. Kamalji and I have already decided that we want to go to hell and not heaven. With you it willbe three is company not a crowd!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Hailarious, and super. You are taking me to hell ? i will take u to court for slandering my reputation after i am no more, how dare u suggest, that i will be in the company of bunnies !!! HAHA

let us see who else wants to join u , me and google glass in hell, i am sure the ladies will opt fo the safer heaven, where u have harmless souls, and where the colour of the welcome drink will be yellow.

HAHA

Super one Balaji.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji I think our friend Hariharan wants to join us in hell.but at the same time he wants a part of heaven too. A classic case of having the cake and trying to eat it also. He wants a Swarajya combining heaven and hell. The ladies no I don't think they are the hell type (Have you seen the number of ladies posting spiritual threads here?)

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Who said three of you are going to hell? You are all going to the heaven in the company of Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teressa for you talking about God and Soul so often than any of the believers, Kamalji for being such a honest man to make Ganeshji appear before him so often and for GG for being truthful in everything he says.

If the people in hell are roasted to become golden in color, three of you will be toasted with teachings of the scriptures so that you all would have good knowledge of what you are denying. God, if He exists, only gives what you need and not what you want. So you will be denied the company of actors but you would only get the knowledge of scriptures.

The hell will be filled with those believers who torture the young children in the name of celibacy and religion, those pretending and so called Sanyasis who use the religion as a shield to satisfy their lust and believers who misinterpret the religion in the name of God to kill fellow beings. All three of you are disqualified under the above criteria.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bala, looks like your father happened upon his own version of Pascal's wager, a classic problem in decision theory. According to Pascal, there is infinite gain in assuming that god exists and believing in him, whereas there is only a finite loss in believing in a god even if he/she/it doesn't exist. Of course, Pascal laid out his wager under the assumption that god would accept and honor such a bet. For all our good deeds, god could turn out to be a capricious little 10-year old who'd send all us to hell just for some giggles!

Personally, my non-belief is the result of never having received a satisfactory answer, from my parents or my teachers, to the Epicurean paradox. If there is a god, or many gods, there is no acceptable justification for the existence of evil in our world.

"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

6 people like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa you have drained even a litgtle bit of liking I had for heaven. Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teresa? I thought you would wish Me, Kamalji and ?Googleglass that we would have close encounters with Rambha, Urvasi and Menaka!.

On a serious note torturing young children in the name of celibacy and religion is ghastly. Particularly they are made sanyasis in some maths at an age when they cannot even decide what is good for themselves.The Babas are more interest in babes and bloody lucre than in religion. Even worse are people who treat their religion as some kind of an exclusive club and look down upon those who do not belong and even persecute him. Those who do not have tolerance, let alone acceptance deserve the worst.

1 person likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Gauri03 true. The question of evil puts a big question mark on the existence of God. If there is a God, he is either blind and deaf, incompetent or plain bad.