1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Greed

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Greed

Today I received this on whats app, which I am sharing with u all. I just loved it.

PLEASE READ IT.. WORTH READING

Brilliant thought on money.

We think we can pile up money to last our life time and leave for our children !!
    In 1923, nine of the wealthiest people in the world met at Chicago's Edge Water Beach Hotel .

Their combined wealth, it is estimated, exceeded the wealth of the government of the United States at that time. These men certainly knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth. Attending the meeting were the following men:

1. The president of the largest steel company,
    2. The president of the largest utility company,
    3. The president of the largest gas company,
    4. The president of the New York Stock Exchange,
    5. The president of the Bank of International Settlements,
    6. The greatest wheat speculator,
    7. The greatest bear on Wall Street,
    8. The head of the World's greatest monopoly &
    9. A member of President Harding's cabinet.
    That's a pretty impressive line-up of people by anyone's yardstick.
    Yet, 25 years later, where were those nine industrial giants?

Let’s examine what happened to them 25 years later.

1. The President of the then largest steel company (Bethlehem Steel Corp), Charles M Schwab, lived on borrowed capital for five years before he died bankrupt.
    2. The President of the then largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.
    3. One of the greatest commodity traders (Wheat Speculator), Arthur Cutten, died insolvent.
    4. The then President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney, was sent to jail.
    5. The member of the US President’s Cabinet (the member of President Harding's cabinet), Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail just to be able to go home and die in peace.
    6. The greatest “bear” on Wall Street, Jesse Livermore committed suicide.
    7. The President of the then world’s greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger, committed suicide.
    8. The President of the Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser, committed Suicide.
    9. The president of the largest utility company, Samuel Insull, died penniless.
    What they forgot was how to "make" life while they got busy making money!
    Money in itself is not evil; it provides food for the hungry, medicine for the sick, clothes for the needy. Money is only a medium of exchange.
    We need two kinds of education:
    a) One that teaches us how to make a living
    and
    b) One that teaches us how to live.

As I go in flashback, well most of what came is what I can identify with . So many rich men, died in penury, or in poverty and disgrace. I feel people don’t know when to stop. They just want more and more. Business is about taking risks, giving credits, when u are starting in life, u are willing to go to any lengths, work 18 hours a day, for u want to make lots of money, name and fame, and be known, and have yr own house, car, and other luxuries, and send yur children to the best of the schools, which means expensive ones.

Now all that requires money, and money will come with long hours and hard work, which can be backbreaking. At that stage, u have nothing to lose, but all to gain, just as Dhirubhai Ambani started, he had Tata and Birla ahead of him, and he was nothing, later he became No 1, and equations changed.

Government employees are retired at 60, but businessmen, carry on and on, long after they have acquired everything.And they complain of tension, hyper tension, BP, sugar, heart and what not. What drives them to work hard in their sixties and seventies, when all their needs have been made, they have hiomes , cars, and 10 to 50 crores in cash and assets, then why are they breaking their bodies working ?

Somehow I feel they want to keep earning money. They get greedy.They are screwing their health, they cannot eat, they have ulcers, tensions, and they don’t eed that money at all.they have enough for a few generations. Then why ?

For them time is money. For them it is a waste of time to take their grandchild to the zoo, circus, or talk and play, for they calculate how much they lose per money financially, so they will provide a maid for the grandchild. They cannot take a guest out sightseeing on a working day, for they are busy making money.

Raheja left behind 11000 crores of Rupees, and his only son and two daughters are fighting over it, and the matter is in court.

Dhirubhai Ambani left may 2 lakh crore or more, God knows for his two sons, and his sons fought for so many years, not on talking terms then.

The cancer surgeon who operated on me, is maybe mid fifties now. He performs around 10 cancer operation s a month, maybe more.For each I suppose he gets [paid a lakh, the operation lasting some 8 hours, his role many be 4 hours in that . So 10 lakhs from the operations. Fine, He visits the patients in the rooms , twice a day, each time the hospital charges 2000 per visit, of which half I assume is his share, that is a 1000 per visit. Sheeach patient fetches him 2000 per day, and I suppose he has 5 patients at least under his care post operation, so that means 10,000 a day his share from that , which means 2 lakhs a month for 20 days.

And he sees patients who come in outdoor, for which hospital charges 1000, so his share we assume at 500/- and in a day I have seen 20 patients he sees, so that means 10,000 per day, so for 20 days a month, that is another 2 lakhs per month.

So all in all, I suppose he makes 15 lakhs a month, and since the last 30 years that he has been operating, hemust be worth 50 crores and more, with 2 crores a year coming in , or more God knows.

Now seeing blood everyday, is not very pleasant I suppose. But just like a pathologist who says, for u this may be **** and urine, for me it is bread and butter (amul?) , Well the surgeon also gets used to it.

But now this surgeon may also be under stress, he cannot take off, he cannot sit for a few hours with his grandchildren, he cannot go for a holiday with family abroad as and when he wants, even though he has all the money.

Is this life ? Cant he stop operations, and just do consultation work, and make do with a measely two lakhs a month ? And recemond the operations to other surgeons, he just does the consulations. I guess doctors are scared that someone else will take their place, they will lose their place of pride in society and so on.

I read that many people make money, but few enjoy the money. And when u die of overwork, tensions and other diseases, even yr children don’t enjoy that money, they fight over it, so neither u enjoyed nor yr children.

What a useless life eh ! The Whats app example should make us open oru eyes, at least to people in their fifties, approaching their sixties, or what they want to do in a few years time, and reflect, for how long do u think u are going to live more ?

Sad really.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Awesome joke...
    Father: I have 4 sons
    1st - Engineer
    2nd - MBA
    3rd - Ph. D
    4th - Thief

Neighbour - why don't you throw ur 4th son out of the house..

Father : He is the only one EARNING in the house,
    rest are jobless !!!

: Na Ishq Main Hai... Na Pyaar Main hai..

Jo Dard Somwaar Main hai.. 

For all my Aaalsi fruends

Arz kiya hai..

Yu na kisi ke Dil ke saath Khelo..

Yu na kisi ke Dil ke saath Khelo..

Jab msg hi nahi karna hai to Mobile Bech kar Radio Le Lo..

General: Best Advertisement"
    Traffic dept:
    "Donate blood, but not on Roads..."

Forest dept:
    "Shoot the bird with camera not with gun..."

Petrol pump:
    " No smoking" " ur life may be worthless but our petrol is costly"

Prize winning message of the year-

''Kya Ye CORRUPTION kuchh le de k khatam nahi ho sakta...?''

: Some one asked Similarity between A Woman & Alcohol...?

Shakespear Replied:-
    They both have Amazing Qualities of giving Pleasure at Night & a Headache in the Morning.

14 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A fantastic share and your views were also excellent Kamalji.

In the case of doctors, they need not waste their life saving skill - they should at least give free service to the needy and poor.

3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji,
    As usual wonderful write-up. The fact remains that the stories of very rich people turning bankrupt (and their stories of painful deaths) can never make a middle class feel contented. As I mentioned earlier I belong to a group of few people who will agree that it is better to be a contented person and enjoy life rather than lament over the richness of others.
    But a vast majority of us are struggling to lead a comfortable life with an optimum bank balance. This optimum is directly proportional to the salary and life style of a person and is indirectly proportional to their needs in old age. Many of the parents are struggling to give their children some good savings and Insurance benefits before leaving them, failing to realize that it is the goodness that has to left behind them and not the riches.

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

"We need two kinds of education:
    a) One that teaches us how to make a living
    and
    b) One that teaches us how to live."

Great lines these Kamalji. Lovely post. Enjoyed the jokes too.
    Thanks. -rgs

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Yes, we should learn where to stop (equally important as where to start) earning more money and learn how to live. I think for them it is a kind of obsession and I call it even an addiction.
    Syamala

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji lot of peole fail to realize that when they are in their death bed, hey are not going to regret that they didn't spend one more day in the office but that their workaholism kept them away from their enar and dear ones. These American stinko rich guys probably have gone through whole lot of divorce and alimony hassles.So is it surprising that they have committed suicide or ended below poverty line? People forget that money is for living well and not for its own sake. It is the means to an end and not an end in itself. Lot of these rich guys could also be neurotic , paranoid types who try to drown their angst in moneymaking.

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

A nice post enlisting top millionnaires in the world and their influence on the future generation.
    But throughout the world ,development depends on targets, achieving which leads to more and more growth, more earnings, and more savings and accumulation of wealth.
    We can't totally blame people who have become rich by their hard work and have employed many people for their own benefit and partial benefit accrues to the dependents too.

Achieving one's best has been treated as a virtue of realization hardwork and using the Free Will to the max extent.

The difference between ambition and greed is a difficult thing to define, and it’s been a question that has plagued us for many years. Everyone is making a bunch of new year’s resolutions and typically one of these promises has to do with making more money, or achieve a new target.

Setting goals and ambitions, which brings in more wealth,contributes to building a sense of discipline and responsibility leading to the general prosperity of society at large.
    Greed need not necessarily be for money. It may be for fame or more recognition.
    Suppose one has a fascination for writing, he writes first to satisfy himself and slowly as he receives encomium he craves for recognition, mainly concentrates on producing articles, novels or poems in the process he has monetary gains too.

You see, ambition is something that is valued, applauded, and rewarded in our society: Whereas greed is condemned.

Money is nice. Life is just made much simpler and much more easier.
    If I have a sense of success or sense of accomplishment alone in my life without caring much for money, can I be branded
    ambitious' and not'greedy'?

I’m not sure and I haven’t really come to terms with the ambition-greed dichotomy. Ultimately, I think that there is very little difference on an objective level and deciding whether a person is ambitious or greedy is just a matter of perspective. The fine line between ambition and greed may not exist at all, because they are one and the same.

This applies not only to money, but also to any sort of achievement. Think about athletes. They start with a humble Ranji Trophy, slowly reset their goals to World level contests. When such is the case with ordinary toppers, nothing can be said about industrial giants.

We cannot say for certain that whether it is greed or ambition that forces them to unimaginable heights.
    Don't they know that conflicts will develop among legal heirs?Don't they know that they have limited time on earth and they have neglected other important aspects like affection, love and sharing?
    Then what makes them exceed their limits, set up unimaginable expectations?
    It cannot be said to be born out of greed alone.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

Just logged in to say a few words and then I noted Balajee nominating this snippet and thanks to him, I got to read it and enjoyed it immensely.

Kamalji, what can one say about Money.

The way the world is going around and the way we are shelling out dollars just to maintain a house, cleaning the garbage, lighting the lights, drinking the water, keeping the green on the grass and to see the flowers bloom which should all be taken care of by nature but is actually done by our local community services, I am glad there is still no tax on the air we breathe!!

What I mention are all basics. Imagine the condition of those who get into the luxury of smooth cars, high efficiency gadgets, gates with remote control and dining out that match the cost of my wedding trousseau.....they simply cannot stop working!

Loved the forward you mentioned. Would love to have it on my app! Now see, even that costs me money, to possess a smart phone I mean..Better I go look for a job. Who can resist the greed...........!!

L, Kamla

PS: An absolutely delicious snippet full of wisdom and common sense!

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

I truly enjoyed reading this post. You pretty much covered many aspects of the emotions a person goes through in earning a living and sometimes making money like a machine. Life/work balance has been a much talked about subject for many years. If we don't spend time with our children and grandchildren, we don't get a second opportunity. My thought on work/life balance is always influenced by total involvement in the present moment. While at work, be a person who does everything skillfully to complete satisfaction. Similarly, when at home, spend the time wisely with the spouse, children and grandchildren. Time, energy, food and money are great resources that are required for our existence but we have to learn how to make best use of them. Excessive use of any of them would be dangerous. Our wisdom helps us to manage them well. It is best we are grateful to all these resources and hold all of them in trust to be used as guided by our intellect. When we eat we should eat for the purpose of existence and when we use our energy, we have to use it for good reasons. Time and money are closely related and if we don't use them wisely, our life becomes a waste.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

thank u for the great FB, and also being the first. Yes they can do free consulataions , no harm, there will be no pressure then to acheive targets, and also to please the medical companies.

Regards

kamal