1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The pinnacle of Intoxication!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by parineetha, Sep 8, 2014.

1. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Am intoxicated literally…
    I know..I know it’s coming right after the weekend. I shall say you are grossly mistaken even if you had an iota of doubt that Neetu has written on getting high over a glass of vodka or beer… You see, I don’t even know to which latitude or longitude one gets high :wink:. So sorry guys!:notthatway:

What else instigates my intoxication you may ask???
    It’s the pleasant whiff of heavenly scents which delights my senses that I can die a million times.

It rains at night here; I wake up to the earthy smell of the monsoon showers. The wet window panes grin at me with a gleam on its face. I grin at it back and head straight to my balcony garden. The mild breeze ruffles my hair and plants a gentle kiss on my cheeks. I shut my eyes and shy away, feeling chills running down my spine. Batting my eyelids, I see the ever happy princess marigold and her buddy rose singing to the tunes of humming bird, that the queen Jasmine brims with pride. The ever graceful white lilies and her sensuous fragrance intensify the aura, a little secret that she never wants to share. The wild creepers have their own dance party tapping their feet and big old trees swaying their heads.
    Completely mesmerized and hypnotized in the gamut of alluring floral fragrances, in the sensual woody perfume of the trees, and in the musky smell of damp soil, I breathe to the deepest layers of my soul, feeling absolutely languished under the intoxicating heaviness.

If I say the aromas of Coffee beans intoxicate my senses, every South Indian knows what I mean.
    Back during my ‘Happily single’ days, I’m tucked in thick comforters, lost in my own utopian world far from morning madness, that only my Amma knew the secret to invade me. The coffee she brews is every bit of heaven on earth, I still long for hers. The inviting warm smell just wafted the corridors of the house arousing my olfactory nerves, making my taste buds simply ache for the creamy, smooth coffee. I dragged my feet to the kitchen and a whiff of coffee in the air was a blast to my senses. You call it the magical nectar or a caffeine jolt, the euphoria it creates with the strong undeniable aroma is worth a million pounds. Truly intoxicating!

I can go on and on and on…the peels of fresh citrusy lemon, the Christmassy(?) smell of cinnamon sticks, the peppery smell of ginger, the pine and minty smell of eucalyptus are all mysteriously intoxicating.
    My DH calls it “girlish fascination” when I go fetish over aroma oils. I love these enticing smell of patchouli, lavender, geranium, chamomile, and ylang-ylang oils which I use with the diffuser, takes me on sensory journey that ignites the senses and enlivens the body, mind and soul. I’m intoxicated again.

But the irresistible obsession;holistic intoxication comes with the smell of my baby. An experience of luscious sense of bliss literally washing all over me, the moment I first held my baby in the hand. :queen
    A sense of dopamine rush tickling every cell of my body; feeling totally hallucinated in eau de bebe. The addictive smell, overwhelmingly nostalgic; I forgot those sleepless nights but I could never forget the smell of my baby.
    An addictive smell, every mother knew how divine it was.
    The pinnacle of intoxication! :-D

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

This is a great piece Parineetha. Felt very happy reading this, you know?
    It just need not have to be mother alone! :)

I understand that your olfactory bulb too had been overworking! -rgs

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi Neetu,

I enjoyed every word of what you said in your write up. Among all the sensory perceptions, your nose appears to have excelled in identifying, defining, evaluating and optimizing the smell of everything around you. It is a gift to enjoy nature through more than one sense as most of us enjoy that only through our eyes.

I didn't realize each person has a special affinity for specific aroma that really optimizes the sensory perception until I had a chance to visit a perfume factory in 2008 as part of our vacationing in a Cruise Ship in Europe. We were taken on a tour in Southern France to a perfume factory and we were all given hundreds of liquids to smell and keep pouring whatever we like to a certain quantity in a jar. After nearly an hour worth of exercise, we were told that whatever mixer we created would be marked under our name as personalized perfume for each one of us and we all named it with whatever name came to our mind. We were told to keep it untouched for 30 days and keep shaking the bottle during that period. After 30 days, when we started using the perfume, it blended so well with our skin making others recognize the special perfume we were wearing. That is when I learned each one of us have a unique taste that blends with our DNA. We were also told that anyone who made a mixture that was widely accepted by many in the world, we will be paid royalty for creating that mix. This perfume industry have specially skilled personnel who does exactly what you described in your post and paid so well for the job that they do.

As a father, I used to recognize the smell of my son very well and I am sure my wife enjoyed it too.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Your writing has a frothy feel Parineetha.....light and bubbly.
    You made me remember the smell of my babies.eau de bebe...awwww......

1 person likes this.
  5. parineetha

Thanks Rgs! If the celebrated poet calls it great, Am truly honored.:)
    Hehehe..sorry I know fathers can remember it too..

Maybe I was a sniffer dog :confused2: in my previous Janam, that my olfactory nerves are charged up even now :)

1 person likes this.
  6. parineetha

Viswa Sir, Many Thanks!
    Am so glad that you liked my sensitively sensorial experiences :)
    Yea my nose is a little sensitive one, but can’t agree with you more when you say most of us enjoy through the eyes… Sense of sight dominates all senses.

Just like how we can remember someone’s face without seeing them in front of us, we can smell things in our memory, without actually smelling them. Guess the nose has a special tie up with the brain, which stores the smell in its memory that we once smelled and retrieves it for us. Brain is actually a little dumb you see, so visual data has to be programed against the smell. You give the visual information, it retrieves the correlated smell.
    Think of it, what happens if you think of camphor and you happen to remember the citrus smell of lemon??? Hehehe..The whole database crashes and we can't restore it at all.:spin

Wow..The cruise experience should have been an awesome one..Lucky you!

7. parineetha

I don't want to hurt the sentiments of the Men fraternity here..so changing the last line to "An addictive smell, every one of us know how divine it is" surrendersmiley

1 person likes this.
  8. parineetha

Thank you for your beautiful words. Was the perfume too strong? you had to come whiffing all the way from "married life" forum? :wink:
    Happy seeing you herehugsmiley

Yea..eau de bebe, the best cologne ever

9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

First things first - really a nice and smelly one after the nutty one N' :)

After reading this now I am trying hard to smell something but unable to and unable to recollect any other smell too - sensory organs have retired I understand :)

Loved smelling the write up...

jskls and parineetha like this.
  10. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

hi parineetha ,
    wonderful description.
    now you have turned sentimental. removing one coat at a time ?
    are you a libran ?
    i believe , such experiences give us a glimpse of heaven on this earth . we should savour them to the fullest without missing the opportunities .
    no guarantee we will see heaven in our after life .:wink:

1 person likes this.