1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai police tortured us!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Chennai Police commissioner's enthusiasm to give security to senior citizens due to the recent spate of murders and robbery has become a torture to us.
    Perhaps Chennaites might have read it in the newspapers that he has ordered that the policemen should go house to house and enumerate senior citizens staying alone and then visit their houses daily to find out that they are safe and secure.

On 18th August our local police came to our flat and took our phone number, name and also told that a book would be kept and the patrolling police would sign it every night after checking up.

Our niece has come from Bangalore and we planned to go to Pondy to see her ailing brother. On the day she came when we were having lunch we received a call from the police station and the person introduced himself as the writer of Kilpauk police station. He asked for some particulars and we told him we already gave it to the person who came to our house.

The next day when we were on the way to Pondy he called again and asked my hubby if I had a separate phone to give that number. My hubby told him that he could get me on his phone number and also told him that we were out of station and not to disturb us.

After an hour again he rang up and asked my hubby whether I was working and if so where was I working.

My hubby got wild :redface: and told him that this was irrelevant and hung up. After some time again he called and asked the same question and said that he was under pressure from his boss and he had to feed all information in computer.

My hubby told him that over the phone he would not give any information and whatever information he wanted would be given only in person after getting his identification as he did not know to whom he was talking over the phone.

Day before yesterday we returned and a police inspector came to our house and told us that the department was giving them pressure and so they were forced to collect information. We told him that the person who spoke did not know how to talk and also asked irrelevant questions. The inspector telephoned to him and told him to apologize and the matter at last came to an end.

There is a book hanging at our door and every day a constable or Inspector sign the book in day time after checking up if everything is fine.

I do appreciate the initiative taken by Chennai police to give security to senior citizens staying alone albeit it doesn't become a torture or too much disturbance.

sindmani, Kamla, manjubashini and 7 others like this.

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pushpavalli,
    Just read your post .As a senior citizen myself I could well understand the harrassment you had to face under the guise of security measures being adopted to safeguard us.
    What is worrying is that this same programme can be misused by vandals who can come in the name of the police and pretend to do the checking up each day .Please be very vigilant and always alert and do not open the doors to such persons who claim to be from the police .Also please check with other senior neighbours if they have such checking done each day .The whole thing seems very disturbing somehow....all this coming over so many times and phone calls ..etc.,

3. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Hi pushpa , it's true .
    Lot of potential for the wrong people to take advantage of it.

2 people like this.
  4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

The book hanging out would clearly indicate that the house is occupied by senior citizens - it would make all the more easy for the culprits to target only those houses.

Police have to come with an alternative to safeguard senior citizens.

5 people like this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

What a harassment. It is better we do not indicate that senior citizens are staying at home alone. Giving inf to police is equivalent to passing inf to the criminals.
    Jayasala 42

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Paulina,
    Glad to receive your fb.

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear SW,
    Yes. very true. We should always be alert and make it a point not to rely on anyone for our safety.
    PS

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear GG,
    In fact we told them to keep the book at the main entrance of our flat. There he can check up with our watchman.
    PS

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear PS Madam,
    It is like giving a signal to everyone that seniors are living alone. That is even more unsafe. Better have some other idea to protect seniors.
    Syamala

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Jaya,
    We told them to keep the book at the main entrance and not to bother us.
    PS