1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Cats and the Birds

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Cats and the Birds

People write about birds and bees, but I write about the cats and the Birds. I have to be different, na ?

Been close to a year, that my dear dog cum son in doggie form Tuffy died. He is buried in my lawns where I loving gaze at him everyday. He was one terror for the monkeys, cats and other pests, even the hijdas, they kept away, for he was huge and had a big bark, unfortunate though that he never bit anyone.

Now that he is no more, the cats have come to play. There is a mother and her two kids, who roam now my garden. They come and drink from the cement pot which we had for Tuffy in the lawns. And they sleep on my chair cushion that I sit on in the mornings to drink tea and read the papers. As I go for walks I see them sleeping so nicely, thati don’t feel like disturbing them.

cat 2.jpg

And the birds do come to eat their feed on my boundry walls. And these cats eat these birds. Now I am in a moral dilemma, do I shoo the cats away so that the birds are safe, but then the cats will go hungry.

The cats are damn cute. The mother does the hunting, once or twice I have seen it, they run away fast after they catch a bird, maybe they fear they will have to share with me . poor things don’t know I don’t eat birds !

At times the cats are so hungry, tht the rotis that we keep on the wall for the birds, they get dried up, even the biords don’t touch them, I found the small cat eating the rotis. Hunger can make a man eat stones, I guess same way the cats eat rotis, in desperation. I want to give them milk, which we used to give Tuffy, but fearing the wrath of my wife, I don’t dare suggest it.

Let the cats play, till we get another Tuffy eh !

KAMAL MAHTANI
    : The boss got out of a BMW 7 series and a junior employee remarked
    "Wow boss thats great"
    The boss said if you work hard, be punctual,
    put in more hours of work in the weekends,
    take fewer holidays,achieve your targets

I will be able to buy an even better car next year

A man reached a hospital with a broken leg where he noticed another man lying on a stretcher with both legs broken.
    Very sympathetically he asked him in a low voice....
    "Do you have two wives"?

: Latest ad in matrimonial in Kerala :

Bride required. caste, creed, religion no bar. Should be daughter of ex military person with liquor quota. 

: A doctor told his patient, "nothing to worry it's just a cramp"...

But then he saw him wearing Armani shoes,
    he said, "safe side ke liye ek MRI to karwa hi lo!" 

3 people like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Getting re-associated with nature is the best and well you are at it Kamalji - enjoy.

The cats and birds also must be missing their friend Tuffy as much as you are.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That's a tough one Kamalji! But it is nice that you get enjoy these activities around you and even more nice that you notice all these happenings. I am sure it is bringing a smile on your face. Cats are interesting being, even the big ones and I believe they choose the owner. So enjoy the play of nature and survival instincts of the same around you.

Thanks for bringing that vey cute picture to us!

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji there are two dogs in my house. The cats still come and stay. The cats treat the dogs with contempt. The senior dog, Jimmy is downright cat friendly and the junior, Pixie is scared of cats and the cats can sense fear easily and get a kick out of scaring the dog.. The cats also have very evolved tastebuds. They don't eat anything except high quality salmon or tuna flavoured catfood when they are not hunting pigeons. They are asolutely useless against mice. and rats. They just grab them, play with them and let them go. Nobody has taught them that they are food for them. and are bang below them in the food chain.

5. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your post made me smile Kamalji and made me think of the dog and cats that my sister has at our parents' house. Both the dog and cats are similar to Balajee's pet. They just play with mice but never eat them. We tease the dog is such a coward because if he sees a bigger dog or cow, he comes running to us though he is inside our compound and they are roaming on the road. Once some people were cutting a tree branch opposite our house as it was touching the transformer. He came running inside and sat shaking because of the 'thud, thud' sound. Later when my dad went out, he went with him and barked at those guys but still standing inside our gate and came inside as soon as dad left. He barks at bigger persons or animals only if we are around. Otherwise he will come inside or pretend to be asleep.

Though one cat is good at catching and eating insects, the other one just goes away from that place if she sees a cockroach, lizard or any other insect. They are also very picky about what they eat and like to eat only few selected items.

6. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

nice write up kamlajee. and you have a beautiful garden from what i can see in your picture. one proverb changed slightly comes to mind " when the dog is away the cats will play".
    you ended as usual with good jokes :)

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    If you had written about birds and bees I would have been surprised thinking how come Kamalji is writing normal routine things! Cats and birds....interesting observation. When another Tuffy comes I think all of them would love you together.
    These small small observations are very interesting sometimes.
    Syamala

8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji..
    Though I'm not a cat person.. I would say give them some milk and roti..
    even my Harley barks at pigeons.. and loves to chase cats but he is not very friendly with other dogs except for a few female dogs..
    I loved your employee and boss joke have sent it to few of my collegues..
    Kerman

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,

Yes tuffy was a gentle soul, who was sensitive and very loving and we used to say he is a human being at heart.

And the strangest of things happened yesterday. My brother told us of a place he went some 40 kims away from jaiopur, and at that place , a bunglow built in the jubngles, the owner had a dog, a albrador like tuffy, and the dog took to my brother not leaving him, and same looks etc.

We got curious and yest he, me , my wife and dau all went to mee t this reincarnation of Tuffy. Took us an hour to reach, and wow, what a dog, exactly in looks and habits like Tuffy.

Same loving chap, seems no one loves him there. He is with the watchman, and the owners dont allow him in, basically they keepo him outside, and they suggested to my brother, they are willing to let him go with us.

Well all 3 of us fell in love with the chap, but i have been trying to convince wife and daughter, to adopt this chap he is 6 years old maybe, let us see, i would be very very happy and fortunate to adopt this chap.Guess his name ? ladoo they named him.Horrible name eh ! HAHA

Regards

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

Yes a tough call really.Yes my lawns are small, but good enough tp siot and enjoy nature. i like nature, and i let things be, survivial of the fittest eh!

Thank for the visit and the kind words.

Regards

kamal